Canadian Insurrection | UPDATE - Oversight commission rules invocation of Emergency Act by Trudeau was warranted

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I would bet that both are so low because:

• more want the Liberals to do something to stop it, and
  • Many conservatives think the CPC hasn't supported the protest enough

17% of Liberal supporters agree with the protest

46% of CPC supporters agree with the protest

There is a partisan split, but not as severe as I had anticipated.

Strangely enough, more Liberals (23%) agree with the WAY the truckers are protesting, than agree with the protest itself. [Makes no sense to me.]

5 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

There is always ticketing the shit out of them

That is probably counterproductive.

1) They're probably not going to find beat cops that will be willing to do that.

2)  If they did, it will just spur more donations to the GoFundMe

3)  It will likely just increase the resolve of the protestors

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

1) They're probably not going to find beat cops that will be willing to do that.

I heard some grumblings yesterday that the Gofundme organizer is MIA, and people are worried the money (at least the amount released) is gone. Have you heard anything? 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Thats fine. At least the tickets will help fund this mess. 

And beat cops not willing to do it just shows how entrenched the right wing goons are in law enforcement. 

6 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Thats fine. At least the tickets will help fund this mess. 

And beat cops not willing to do it just shows how intrenched the right wing goons are in law enforcement. 

1)  Cops are trained to de-escalate, particularly during peaceful protests

2)  No cop is going to walk into this kind of situation to ticket a truck when they are dramatically outnumbered

3)  Tickets probably wouldn't hold up in court anyways

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I heard some grumblings yesterday that the Gofundme organizer is MIA, and people are worried the money (at least the amount released) is gone. Have you heard anything? 

Last I heard was that they had released $1M of the $10M to the campaign organizers.  The remaining required them to submit an appropriate disbursement plan.

47 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Example?

image.jpg
TORONTO.CTVNEWS.CA

Five city councillors are calling on the mayor not to use 'extreme show of force' when the city dismantles homeless encampments, after violent scuffles broke out between protesters and police earlier this week.

Spoiler

Friday Movie GIF

i'm sure will be the response.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

image.jpg
TORONTO.CTVNEWS.CA

Five city councillors are calling on the mayor not to use 'extreme show of force' when the city dismantles homeless encampments, after violent scuffles broke out between protesters and police earlier this week.

Reveal hidden contents

They should follow the exact process Tory followed (but faster) that is used in most cases where a protest is blocking access to infrastructure, a public place or access to private capital.

1)  Engage the leadership of the protest group, and negotiate peaceful access to the area/reasonable limits to the protest

2)  If that fails, go get a court order to enforce the reasonable grounds of behaviour

3)  Send in the police to enforce the court order with the minimum amount of force necessary

AFAIK, Trudeau is refusing to even start the process.  The city of Ottawa should absolutely begin the process.  IMHO, they should go much faster than others have -- which have taken weeks (CN Railway blockage), months (Toronto encampments, pipeline protests) or years (Caledonia).

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't know that Trudeau can do anything, considering almost all of the occupation is off federal land. I guess technically the RCMP can supersede local police...but is that as doable in a province with its own provincial police force? It should really be Doug Ford doing it, in that case.

42a4864e-262d-4ce8-8060-40ad65f9f9ab_tex

I believe that the City of Ottawa has jurisdiction here.  OPP generally only has jurisdiction outside of cities or on provincial highways.

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Commentary from India. 

That's...pretty one-sided. I agree that Trudeau should be making stronger statements. But they are criticizing him for not revealing his location in Ottawa (he has "fled," that "the white knight of democracy could not handle a protest") while there have been apparently credible threats against him. Like...he hasn't fled the country, he's isolating while COVID+ and still in Ottawa, and appeared publicly yesterday for a statement.

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's...pretty one-sided. I agree that Trudeau should be making stronger statements. But they are criticizing him for not revealing his location in Ottawa (he has "fled," that "the white knight of democracy could not handle a protest") while there have been apparently credible threats against him. Like...he hasn't fled the country, he's isolating while COVID+ and still in Ottawa, and appeared publicly yesterday for a statement.

They are mostly criticizing him for not following the advice he so freely gave to India last year.  (i.e. they are calling him a hypocrite)

42 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Sorry I should have been more clear—my understanding was the Ottawa police should be doing something, but that the first escalation would be to OPP, and then RCMP. But I might be mistaken.

I don't believe there is a formal escalation process/hierarchy.