THE RAID being remade by Michael Bay, Gareth Edwards, and Patrick Hughes (for Netflix and white people)

Michael-Bay-Gareth-Evans-and-Patrick-Hug
DEADLINE.COM

Patrick Hughes has been tapped to direct a reimagining of Gareth Evans cult classic The Raid with Michael Bay and XYZ Films producing for Netflix.

Very dumb since The Raid already has an American version: Dredd.

• CitizenVectron changed the title to THE RAID being remade by Michael Bay, Gareth Edwards, and Patrick Hughes (for Netflix and white people)

Who do you cast for this film? Its sad that they think they can do justice to what is already an amazing movie. Plus no matter what they do, Jason Statham will probably appear in this action film. I don’t have much hope for it but wish they cast more unknown people that actual know martial art/throw a believable punch on screen. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I think this is pretty funny, because The Raid is one of the most “accessible” foreign language movies I’ve ever seen. 

It's pretty laughable they feel the need to remake this. As if the original needs to be improved somehow. It also came out in 2011, so it's not even old.

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

Who do you cast for this film? Its sad that they think they can do justice to what is already an amazing movie. Plus no matter what they do, Jason Statham will probably appear in this action film. I don’t have much hope for it but wish they cast more unknown people that actual know martial art/throw a believable punch on screen. 

Maybe they can get Simu Liu. He was pretty good in Shang-Chi. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It's pretty laughable they feel the need to remake this. As if the original needs to be improved somehow. It also came out in 2011, so it's not even old.

And I get it if you want to remake some dialogue-heavy drama or something, maybe adapt the story for a different time and culture. CODA, one of my favorite movies of last year, was apparently a remake of a French movie nobody has ever heard of. But this is the simplest plot imaginable. You barely need subtitles.

Big building full of bad guys. Reach the top to get main bad guy. I mean come on, dude from Linkin Park did the music. I don’t know how all of America hasn’t seen this movie already! 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

1 hour ago, Brick said:

They could just get Iko Uwais, the star of the orginal movie. He's doing english movies anyway and is pretty fluent. As a matter of fact, ALL of the main guys from the two movies are working in the states now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

They could just get Iko Uwais, the star of the orginal movie. He's doing english movies anyway and is pretty fluent. As a matter of fact, ALL of the main guys from the two movies are working in the states now.

So it’s a Malibu Stacy Doll BUT with a New Hat.

As much as I love the original cast, I don’t think going English would work. Same movie with an English dub and I can watch the more superior original with that already. Now being stateside and thinking remake, we keep thinking Asian actors. It’s inner city Philly for the remake, so maybe it will offer a more diverse ethnic cast. If that’s the case, we can get George Saint Pierre as our main bad guy or make him one of the good guys. I loved him as The Leaper with Marvel. Plus we ain’t going for the acting but for the hopefully great fighting scenes. You know what, just give me a ton of that white guy DareDevil hallway shit and you pretty much have your movie there. 

• Shocked 1

This news has me rewatching the movie, and man. Again, I’m not against all remakes on principle or anything like that. But The Raid works as well as it does because it is lean and mean. I would love to be proven wrong, but I’m having a hard time imagining the director of such films as The Hitman’s Bodyguard making something this raw. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Which is exactly why the relatively "bloated" sequel didn't work quite as well at all.

That movie was originally another different film that they latched the Raid name onto after the first film became a huge international hit. Originally it had nothing to do with the original Raid. It's one of the reasons why Mad Dog is back in the second movie as a different character.  I liked the Raid 2 and I think the final fight scene on that one tops anything done on the first movie, buy you're right. It's not as tightly made as the first movie.