Fallout (Amazon Prime) - more than 65 million viewers since in the 16 days since debut

I've never played even a second of the games... watched the first episode and I dunno if I am in love with this show as much as everyone else.

I feel like it's trying to be edgier and hipper than it actually is. The look is great, but the tone feels off somehow. I can't really put my finger on what I didn't love about it, but it just didn't wow me.

I will keep watching though. Episode one gets a 3/5 from me.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ort said:

I've never played even a second of the games... watched the first episode and I dunno if I am in love with this show as much as everyone else.

I feel like it's trying to be edgier and hipper than it actually is. The look is great, but the tone feels off somehow. I can't really put my finger on what I didn't love about it, but it just didn't wow me.

I will keep watching though. Episode one gets a 3/5 from me.

The games are very campy and deadpan, so I can see how the series would be seen as a try hard without that context. I'm only three episodes in but so far they did a very good job capturing the tone of the games.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Chris- said:

The games are very campy and deadpan, so I can see how the series would be seen as a try hard without that context. I'm only three episodes in but so far they did a very good job capturing the tone of the games.

Yeah. It feels so close to watching a let's play of a fallout game I've never played.

I feel like the big new lore drop is pretty lame honestly. It doesn't ruin anything, but it really feels like they dropped the ball on that one. And like, after The Outer Worlds, I thought for sure I'd never see that godawful shitty trope in a Bethesda product.

Spoilers and overall thoughts

Spoiler

Like, fuckin' really corporations bad? A-fucking-gain? God, it's so lame. It's shit like this that gives me no faith in future Bethesda Products.

And did the Vault 31-32-33 really not seem that bad to anyone else? Like, in what world is that a reason to kill yourself over? Like, maybe I missed something, but it pretty much seemed like a "normal" vault.

While I'm sure it will be explained, Moldaver just existing for over 200 years for no reason feels really lame at the moment. The actual ending was underwhelming as well. I think Kal said it felt small or something and I really agree with that. I feel like the ending to that quest should have been a bit more grand or something. You can tell it was a Bethesda Product cuz the ending was similar to Fallout 3. Only it is Energy instead of Water.

AND REALLY WAR NEVER CHANGES?!?!?! BRO JUST STOP. PLS BRO. BRO PLS. We don't need it anymore.

And so, if Vault Tech nuked America, did they nuke the rest of the world? Does the rest of the world have vaults? Is everywhere else more fucked or less fucked since they may not have Vault Tech? Like, I would be funny if only America was a wasteland and the rest of the world was just fine. I mean, why would they want to come to America?

And we'll see what happens, but Thad turning into maybe-a-ghoul seems really fuckin' weird. Like, there was a potion of ghoulification this whole time? Like, huh? What? It feels so random and out of place, like, I'm not sure what to think about that whole thing with the chicken-fucker doctor.

But overall it's a fantastic show. Worthy of a watch. Feels exactly like Fallout 3. I like Fallout 3. 9/10

kyle hill fallout GIF by Because Science

18 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I feel like the big new lore drop is pretty lame honestly. It doesn't ruin anything, but it really feels like they dropped the ball on that one. And like, after The Outer Worlds, I thought for sure I'd never see that godawful shitty trope in a Bethesda product.

Spoilers and overall thoughts

Spoiler
  Hide contents

Like, fuckin' really corporations bad? A-fucking-gain? God, it's so lame. It's shit like this that gives me no faith in future Bethesda Products.

And did the Vault 31-32-33 really not seem that bad to anyone else? Like, in what world is that a reason to kill yourself over? Like, maybe I missed something, but it pretty much seemed like a "normal" vault.

While I'm sure it will be explained, Moldaver just existing for over 200 years for no reason feels really lame at the moment. The actual ending was underwhelming as well. I think Kal said it felt small or something and I really agree with that. I feel like the ending to that quest should have been a bit more grand or something. You can tell it was a Bethesda Product cuz the ending was similar to Fallout 3. Only it is Energy instead of Water.

AND REALLY WAR NEVER CHANGES?!?!?! BRO JUST STOP. PLS BRO. BRO PLS. We don't need it anymore.

And so, if Vault Tech nuked America, did they nuke the rest of the world? Does the rest of the world have vaults? Is everywhere else more fucked or less fucked since they may not have Vault Tech? Like, I would be funny if only America was a wasteland and the rest of the world was just fine. I mean, why would they want to come to America?

And we'll see what happens, but Thad turning into maybe-a-ghoul seems really fuckin' weird. Like, there was a potion of ghoulification this whole time? Like, huh? What? It feels so random and out of place, like, I'm not sure what to think about that whole thing with the chicken-fucker doctor.

But overall it's a fantastic show. Worthy of a watch. Feels exactly like Fallout 3. I like Fallout 3. 9/10

kyle hill fallout GIF by Because Science

I don’t believe this was really a new lore drop, it was more-or-less already established in the games lore going back to the first 2 games afaik. Also, “war never changes” is the tagline for the games, it’s like “with great power comes great responsibility” in Spider-Man :p

What did change with the lore:

Spoiler

Vault Tec being the ones to cause the bomb drops, as Tim Cain previously said it was China who shot the first nuke, and all other countrIes then emptied their silos onto one another

But, the corporations being evil and using the vaults as a way to experiment on people and “rebuild the world how they saw fit” was there since the first game.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

What did change with the lore:

I know that bottom sentence, but the show full sent it with the new lore and it just makes me groan. Like, it's so boring and standard.

Spoiler
Spoiler

They really had to go SS3 with the corpo bad shit. It's just hella lame that even that part is now because corporations bad. I didn't mean "corporations bad" was new lore, just that the new lore was that corporations even badder than before. Like, bro, we it got dude. Corporations never changes or something.

It's the only truly bad thing the show did and why it doesn't get a 10/10.

“Corpo bad” isn’t even the message, it’s just the setting and has been since FO1. Bethesda handles that with the grace you’d expect but it’s like Pip Boys and caps. 

Spoiler

I assume Vault Tec setting off the bombs is a red herring. I guess we’ll see but that kinda fails a sniff test. 

There have been a few post war ghouls, and one specifically came from drug use  I don’t remember if it was instant like that, but it’s not unprecedented.

Moldaver being alive 200 years later and being connected to vaults 31-33 makes it seem pretty likely that she was a 31 popsicle. She was bought out by Vault Tec, unlimited energy and the knowledge about it seems like it’d be valuable after the board wipe.

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I went to gamepass today and the Fallout games take the headlines. This show has sparked a big interest in the games. 

INSIDER-GAMING.COM

Nexus Mods is facing rampant capacity-related issues because of the ongoing success of the Fallout franchise. Read the full story here.

Since April 19, Nexus Mods – arguably the leading mod repository in the world – has been reporting traffic-based issues and server capacity problems. It recognised that this was – and still is – being caused by ‘the popularity of the Fallout TV series’. In the last week or so, hundreds of thousands of people have found their way into the ecosystem, with peak player counts on certain games soaring – and lots of those players are hunting for the best Fallout mods to use.

• Halal 1

This was very good! Definitely makes me want a FO5 sooner than we will get one, but it got me to try FO76 and I can squeeze something out of that I think. 

Im fine with the reveal but I also think @Kal-El814 is right that it’s going to actually be something a bit different. 

I just hope they show Lucy’s other foot bare in season 2, you only get to see the right foot here which seems like a wasted opportunity. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

I just hope they show Lucy’s other foot bare in season 2, you only get to see the right foot here which seems like a wasted opportunity

I don’t think Tarantino directs this show

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've never played the games and the first thing that stood out to me is how violent it is. It was almost like people were exploding into a bloody mess. I feel like the show is trying to be more violent than it actually is.

2/7.5

FALLOUT.FANDOM.COM

Bloody Mess is a perk in Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, its Nuclear Winter mode, and Fallout: The Roleplaying Game. The perk originates from the trait from the first two games of the series, which had the effect of having enemies die in a very gory way. For Fallout 3 and later Fallout: New Vegas, the effect was taken over for the perk, having all sorts of foes exploding in a most gruesome way. It was also...

There’s literally a perk called bloody mess. Lol 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1
  • Halal 1

On 4/17/2024 at 2:23 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Someone accused Gary Chalk and Louise Sugden of being a tourists on Twitter the other day and I just can't.

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Louise Sugden should be named a “national treasure” of tabletop gaming. 

Louise just started with podcast with Peachy and Rob Symes (another ex-GW employee):

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Louise just started with podcast with Peachy and Rob Symes (another ex-GW employee):

I actually played a GW game for the first time a few weeks ago and I have a Kill Team set from a few years back that I need to build and paint. I think GWs stranglehold on the hobby is annoying. But Louise is a delight. 

Wow, this show was amazing. I think it’s the best new show I’ve watched in a while. I love the style of the Fallout games so much, and they nailed it. On top of that they filled the world with interesting characters, and a pretty well told story. Man, the last episode throws so much at us to explore in the future. 

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

i will definitely check that out. 

DEADLINE.COM

According to Amazon, more than 65M viewers have watched Fallout since it debuted

Fallout has made quite the impact on Amazon.

The series, which was already renewed for a second season, debuted 16 days ago and has since lassoed more than 65M viewers, making it the second most-watched title ever in that time frame on Prime Video, according to the streamer.

Through 16 days, it’s also the most-watched title on the platform since The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.

Amazon says the series is particularly well-received among the younger crowd, becoming Prime Video’s most-watched title ever with the 18-34 demographic within 16 days of release.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Fallout (Amazon Prime) - more than 65 million viewers since in the 16 days since debut

Despite having 3 and New Vegas on Steam I've never actually played them, so all I had was passive exposure to the games from posting on IGN and now here to know the general setup of the universe, and had I really enjoyed the show. I did poke around in this thread a bit and look at more spoilery stuff than I normally would while trying to decide whether to watch it, not sure how much that played into it. But I think I would have enjoyed it going in completely blind.