Fallout (Amazon Prime) - more than 65 million viewers since in the 16 days since debut

is this the best video game adaptation ever made? I just finished it today. They absolutely nailed the feel of the games perfectly. Its so well done, I loved every minute of it.  Im literally going to watch it immediately over again. 

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 2

31 minutes ago, atom631 said:

is this the best video game adaptation ever made? 

Well, let's face it - that bar isn't particularly high to begin with :p

That being said, I'm very much far more engaged with this show than I ever was with The Last of Us series which I felt was overall just "fine" except for the absolutely standout third episode.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, atom631 said:

is this the best video game adaptation ever made? I just finished it today. They absolutely nailed the feel of the games perfectly. Its so well done, I loved every minute of it.  Im literally going to watch it immediately over again. 

I feel like The Last of Us is still the king for video game adaptations, but, in terms of doing a show based on the “world” a game is set in and not so-much following the exact plot of a game itself, yes.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Well, let's face it - that bar isn't particularly high to begin with :p

That being said, I'm very much far more engaged with this show than I ever was with The Last of Us series which I felt was overall just "fine" except for the absolutely standout third episode.

agreed. loved The Last of Us, but I overall enjoyed Fallout a lot more. At times it almost felt like I was watching a live-action Lets Play on YT. lol. 

• Halal 1

5 episodes in and it's pretty good, I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm always going to wish that the series stuck with the Black Isle / Obsidian vibes compared to the BGS ones. But if a series is going to go that direction, this is a very good version of that. Interested to see how the first season ends before I weigh in too much, but it's good!

• Hype 1

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Following its debut last week, Fallout fans are trying to work out what level Amazon's protagonist Lucy is at by the end of the first series.

However, throughout the course of eight episodes, Lucy doesn't actually partake in a lot of violence herself. She shoots some Radroaches off Maximus and performs some mercy kills, but generally prefers to use her words over her weapons.

So, if Lucy levelled up in the same way that the characters in the video games do, what level would she be by the end of season one? This is the question posed by social media user Fallout Films, which Fallout fans have since been discussing.

Getting over a cold this weekend, so instead of going to the theater I stayed home and watched through this. I really enjoyed it. It's fun and quirky all the way through.

I love The Last of Us, but this is an entirely different kind of adaptation. Last of Us is playing through an already cinematic story, beat by beat. This is telling an original story while judiciously stealing what it needs to from the source material. This is a far less straightforward adaptation and exactly the kind that has typically failed in the past. This is what Halo tried and (IMO) failed to do.

Personally, I would put this just below Last of Us and Arcane, but it's close. It far exceeded my expectations and I hope that it finds enough of an audience to keep going.

• Halal 2

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What have I missed about ND being toxic?

They're apparently pretty guilty of the crunch culture that a lot of AAA studios are. There's also speculation about Druckmann generally and the departure of Hennig, but a lot of that seems to have swirled around chud gamer reactions to TLoU2 and the studio being "woke" so who knows. The crunch side of things seems pretty well documented.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

19 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

They're apparently pretty guilty of the crunch culture that a lot of AAA studios are. There's also speculation about Druckmann generally and the departure of Hennig, but a lot of that seems to have swirled around chud gamer reactions to TLoU2 and the studio being "woke" so who knows. The crunch side of things seems pretty well documented.

Also if this is gonna make you not watch TLOU, better not watch Arcane either, riot isn't any better

Finished the show today.

Broadly, I really liked it. Again it absolutely nails the BGS Fallout aesthetic so if that's part of what you liked about the games, it's very faithfully represented in the show. The main three characters are all pretty well written and interesting. Their development over the course of the series feels earned and pretty well done. Overall the plot moves pretty briskly and is pretty interesting, even if there's a lot of beats that are familiar to someone who's spent a lot of time in this game universe.

Some spoilery thoughts ahead...

Spoiler

The main issue I have with the story is kinda similar to the issues I have with the BGS games themselves, so maybe this is just projection. :p But by the end, things feel somewhat small? Most of the main secondary characters and everyone aside from Lucy and Maximus seem to know one another or are directly connected to each other in a meaningful way. I wonder if it's a red herring, but if not, confirming that Vault Tec is the one to cause the bombs to drop is a pretty big lore pivot. I guess we'll see.

My only real eye roll came from that specific notion, that the world's capitalists would form a secret pact in a Strangelove room to kill almost everyone on earth to see whose capitalism dick has the most girth? I appreciate that the franchise has never been sunshine, lollypops, and rainbows, but Jesus Christ

Minor quibbles aside, it's a pretty fun, good looking show. Interested to see where the second season goes.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

There's also a history of boys club culture, including a HR person who only would hire blue eyes blonde san diego surfer type men (this has changed, but in the game industry they would refer to them as "Maria's boys" (her name is not maria)). The crunch isn't because they have high goals or something, it's because of poor ego centric leadership. But reality is that it's a house of cards and they're one fumble from it all crashing down. 

• Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

There's also a history of boys club culture, including a HR person who only would hire blue eyes blonde san diego surfer type men (this has changed, but in the game industry they would refer to them as "Maria's boys" (her name is not maria)). The crunch isn't because they have high goals or something, it's because of poor ego centric leadership. But reality is that it's a house of cards and they're one fumble from it all crashing down. 

Eww. 

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Yeah it's pretty gross. They make great looking games, I'm not sure they make great games as games though. They mostly exist to be marketing/trailers to sell hardware. 

Well you're talking to the wrong guy lol. TLOU 2 is my favorite game of all-time. :p

This was a great adaptation of the game, the series stayed strong through until the end of the season. If we're making comparisons though, if we count Arcane does that mean animation counts in terms of ranking/comparing purposes? Because if so I'd put Castlevania and Cyberpunk: Edgerunners up there (among others). But, if we're limiting ourselves to just TV (and not film adaptations) and just to live-action, ignoring anime and animation in general, The Last of Us is probably the only competition but that and Fallout are doing different things which makes them hard to compare. This is easily better than Halo and Resident Evil. I'm not sure Gangs of London counts though that is based on the The Getaway/Black Monday/Gangs of London trilogy of games by Sony London Studio back in the day, but it is a great show. That just leaves Twisted Metal which, like Fallout, is a post-apocalyptic wasteland black comedy (with a very different tone even with the similarities) and I actually felt that Twisted Metal did a pretty good job adapting its games as well. Fallout is the better show, but Twisted Metal did good and is better than Halo and Resident Evil as well. 

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This was a great adaptation of the game, the series stayed strong through until the end of the season. If we're making comparisons though, if we count Arcane does that mean animation counts in terms of ranking/comparing purposes? Because if so I'd put Castlevania and Cyberpunk: Edgerunners up there (among others). But, if we're limiting ourselves to just TV (and not film adaptations) and just to live-action, ignoring anime and animation in general, The Last of Us is probably the only competition but that and Fallout are doing different things which makes them hard to compare. This is easily better than Halo and Resident Evil. I'm not sure Gangs of London counts though that is based on the The Getaway/Black Monday/Gangs of London trilogy of games by Sony London Studio back in the day, but it is a great show. That just leaves Twisted Metal which, like Fallout, is a post-apocalyptic wasteland black comedy (with a very different tone even with the similarities) and I actually felt that Twisted Metal did a pretty good job adapting its games as well. Fallout is the better show, but Twisted Metal did good and is better than Halo and Resident Evil as well. 

you just reminded me ive been meaning to check out Twisted Metal. I feel like that came and went with a whisper. 

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

you just reminded me ive been meaning to check out Twisted Metal. I feel like that came and went with a whisper. 

Yeah, the show did pretty well for Peacock even thought it felt like it came and went. Season 2 has been announced. We tried to drum up some talk in the thread for it if you want to see what some of us thought of it. Basically, it comes off like Zomebieland for Twisted Metal, not that far off from Fallout's tone but more juvenile. But I thought it was a good adaptation worth not forgetting about.

WWW.PEACOCKTV.COM

Peacock’s high-octane action comedy is gearing up for Season 2! Stream Season 1 on Peacock.

• Halal 1