The 2021 Time person of the year is once again lmao

NGL, as much of a dweeb Musk is, his companies have had  a huge impact on their respective industries.  I really doubt the likes of GM, Ford, and other big automakers would be working on electrifying their cars if it wasn't for Tesla dominating that market right now.  Same with reusable rockets.  It was only a few years ago that every rocket company besides SpaceX thought reusability was stupid - now nearly every rocket company (established and startup alike), as well as national space programs, are trying to copy what SpaceX is doing.

"If Musk didn't do it, someone else would have"

Maybe.  But they didn't.  

To be perfectly honest, this is one year where Trump definitely deserved it. His trolling was FAR superior to Musk's by miles. But seriously, no one other person had such an impact on the world than he did. Not for the better, but he definitely had one hell of an impact. Unfortunately, even if they gave it to him for being a total Neanderthal, he'd see it as a good thing and his followers would somehow maneuver it into a reason to put him back in office (which is going to happen any way, unless he passes away before that can happen).

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Elon Musk thinks he's Tony Stark when he's REALLY Lex Luthor.

Nah, he’s more Norman Osborn. Lex Luthor is a smart man who hates that someone like Superman exists because it’s something he can’t control.

Norman Osborn could have cured every form of cancer but instead he’s like “I’m gonna take my own medicine, go insane, put on a green mask and murder a blonde or two.”

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

NGL, as much of a dweeb Musk is, his companies have had  a huge impact on their respective industries.  I really doubt the likes of GM, Ford, and other big automakers would be working on electrifying their cars if it wasn't for Tesla dominating that market right now.  Same with reusable rockets.  It was only a few years ago that every rocket company besides SpaceX thought reusability was stupid - now nearly every rocket company (established and startup alike), as well as national space programs, are trying to copy what SpaceX is doing.

"If Musk didn't do it, someone else would have"

Maybe.  But they didn't.  

I don't really disagree with you on that stuff, but this year doesn't seem like the year he should have been chosen. I think 2018 is the year I'd have chosen him.

By 2018 Space X had established itself as the leading commercial launch provider, every other space program in the world was moving towards reusable rockets, and the Falcon Heavy launch was a worldwide spectacle. You could co earlier when they were first achieving success, or arguably last year when they had their first crewed launch, but this year their biggest news was winning a contract.

2018 is also the year the Model 3 finally escaped  production hell, the S was among the best selling luxury cars in the country, and their market cap was competitive with the established automakers. You could make a good case that Telsa's initial successes with the roadster or the Model S would be better years, but I think 2018 is right around the time that Tesla was clearly no longer a bit player. They'd established success, and you could see other automakers rushing to compete with them. This year, the story around Tesla is more about it's market cap than anything else. Sure, they shipped the Plaid Model S, but that's a low volume novelty compared to the rest of their lineup. Both the Cybertruck and the Roadster missed their launch dates, which is particularly notable for the truck since it's now been beat to market by Rivian and will likely be beat by Ford as well (which is pretty embarrassing).

So yeah, while I don't really like Elon, I think you could have legitimately given him Person of the Year in a number of years, 2018 in particular, but this year seems like a very odd one to choose.