What’s your go-to Chinese order?

Chris-

To be clear, I mean ‘American’ Chinese. I love the traditional stuff as much as the next sensible person, but this is not the thread for that. Go make your own thread for that. 

We tend to order family-style, so we usually get a number of things to share (usually 2 entrees and a side). We mix it up from time to time but our most ordered tend to be:

- General Tso’s chicken

- Beef lo mein

- Shrimp fried rice

- Mongolian beef

- Pan-fried dumplings

- Scallion pancake (with or without beef)

- Egg rolls (pork and/or shrimp)

- Spring rolls (vegetable or shrimp)

Oh man, dangerous can of worms here. My go to was all you can eat Chinese buffet for my BDay, but haven’t done so in a few years now (buffet closed down) Anyways I always loved

Egg Rolls

Pork Wonton Soup 

Beef and Broccoli w. Garlic

Honey Crispy Beef

General Chicken (this is hit or miss near me though)

Dry Garlic Ribs

Fried Sauté Chicken Skewers

18 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I’ve only ever had orange chicken from Panda Express or places in mall food courts. 

I order pretty regularly from a local place that is only a tiny step above a Panda Express, and orange chicken is my go-to order. Everything else I’ve tried from there has been disappointing, but the orange always delivers.

Nobody eats chow mein the fuck? That’s my number 1 as I never get Chinese without it. It can have meat or not, don’t really care but steamed, not the crispy kind preferably.

Then I just love a lot of the chickens but kung pao and mushroom are my favorite, and I mean getting both and mixing.

LOVE bbq pork. Hot and sour soup is my soup and I think one of the best things possible to eat is getting hot and sour soup and adding chow mein noodles to it. FUCKING bomb.

Love egg rolls and spring rolls and crab wonton with hot mustard and sweet and sour dipping sauce. 

Im getting chinese food tonight now. I get some every week from the grocery chinese food bar but I mean the real good stuff tonight.

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im getting chinese food tonight now. I get some every week from the grocery chinese food bar but I mean the real good stuff tonight.

Awesome. Yea, after I get back from fixing my car I'm getting chinese tonight. Also, I never tried chow mein. What is it exactly?

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Awesome. Yea, after I get back from fixing my car I'm getting chinese tonight. Also, I never tried chow mein. What is it exactly?

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Get it today. It’s noodles, like greasy chinese noodles that just slide down your throat like obedient servants to your gullet. It’s usually with stir fried veggies and some meat or whatever, picture instead of fried rice it’s noodles. A lot of places will offer fried rice or noodles with an entree, it’s meant to fill that roll, but for me it’s like the star:

spacer.png

1 minute ago, stepee said:

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Get it today. It’s noodles, like greasy chinese noodles that just slide down your throat like obedient servants to your gullet. It’s usually with stir fried veggies and some meat or whatever, picture instead of fried rice it’s noodles. A lot of places will offer fried rice or noodles with an entree, it’s meant to fill that roll, but for me it’s like the star:

spacer.png

Sold. I hope my Chinese place has it. If I get it, I'll let you know what I think.

• Like 1

Take out place 1: Bourbon/Teriyaki Chicken and Honey Chicken over lo-mein

Take out place 2: Chicken On a Stick and Chicken lo-mein

Safe Bet option: General Tso w/ White Rice

I have had quite a number of chicken dishes from various take out places and I like them a lot, but I usually get what gets me most amount of meat. Szechuan chicken is something I like quite a bit but it usually has less chicken than what I usually get. I also really like General Tso chicken, but every take out place in town with a very thick sauce that doesn't work with lo-mein and I fuckin love lo-mein. It it wasn't clear I put my food on top of my lo-mein. And the thick goopy sauce just ruins it. 

Also, orange chicken sucks and tastes like someone melted orange candy over some fried chicken. 

My go tos were Mongolian beef, egg & pork fried rice, and chicken or beef with broccoli until I learned how to make those pretty well at home / got a rice cooker. Now I usually go for general Tso’s / orange chicken since I’m less likely to want to deep dry something myself.

17 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

For Spring rolls, I prefer Vietnamese, they are amazing with peanut brown sauce! 

Fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Shrimp, vegetables and peanut sauce

Yes sir! I used to eat Vietnamese food twice a week and I'd always got spring rolls with there awesome peanut sauce. Vietnamese egg rolls are also much better than Chinese egg rolls imo.

@stepee my Chinese restaurant has chow mein. I can pick shrimp, beef, chicken, roast pork, and vegetable to go with it. Which should I choose?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Yes sir! I used to eat Vietnamese food twice a week and I'd always got spring rolls with there awesome peanut sauce. Vietnamese egg rolls are also much better than Chinese egg rolls imo.

@stepee my Chinese restaurant has chow mein. I can pick shrimp, beef, chicken, roast pork, and vegetable to go with it. Which should I choose?

Its literally all good, I’m getting both veggie and pork orders myself! And also hot and sour soup, and pot stickers, and kung pao chicken.

2 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Just ate my Chinese food yum yum even had some chow mein in honor of @stepeethough I did discover that apparently on the east coast they call it “lo mein”.

Well there is chow mein and lo mein but they are different, at least here. Just ask Nyla, types of chow mein gets really complicated lol. If it looks like my picture then yeah we call that chow mein here. 

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well there is chow mein and lo mein but they are different, at least here. Just ask Nyla, types of chow mein gets really complicated lol. If it looks like my picture then yeah we call that chow mein here. 

I had chow mein with shrimp and it was delicious. Good call and I'll have to get that more often. 

Yea, here we have chow mein and lo mein. For some reason I just always overlooked chow mein. 

• Like 1