Best Buy gets in on that sweet, sweet scalping money.

Jason

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmmmmm... I'm already a Best Buy Elite member for spending more than three grand there in a calender year. I might join this, get another PS5, then Scalp it :devil:

I saw some people on twitter saying they signed up and still weren't able to purchase one. I think it highly depends on your area.

Unfortunately, locking hot tech behind a paywall seems to be the new fad because A: the company can make more money and B: scalpers don't harvest them as quickly.
God forbid we just introduce waiting list. Sign up, you'll get it in X months, 1 per household. Idk how easy it is to get multiple addresses, but I'd be willing to bet it would turn a lot of scalpers off immediately.

Gamestop though is only $15, this is totally not worth it unless you buy an iPhone from BestBuy and get the Applecare that comes with the membership. Its $200 either way.

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

I respect the hustle.

The included AppleCare maybe makes it a good deal for Apple whores like @Emblazon.

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

I saw some people on twitter saying they signed up and still weren't able to purchase one. I think it highly depends on your area.

Unfortunately, locking hot tech behind a paywall seems to be the new fad because A: the company can make more money and B: scalpers don't harvest them as quickly.
God forbid we just introduce waiting list. Sign up, you'll get it in X months, 1 per household. Idk how easy it is to get multiple addresses, but I'd be willing to bet it would turn a lot of scalpers off immediately.

Gamestop though is only $15, this is totally not worth it unless you buy an iPhone from BestBuy and get the Applecare that comes with the membership. Its $200 either way.

It's kind of weird how Apple is the only one who does this. They'll just take your order and throw it into the queue to be fulfilled when they can. No shenanigans with having to be online at exactly the right time.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

The included AppleCare maybe makes it a good deal for Apple whores like @Emblazon.

It's kind of weird how Apple is the only one who does this. They'll just take your order and throw it into the queue to be fulfilled when they can. No shenanigans with having to be online at exactly the right time.

EVGA does this as well, but it’s a much slower grind. With the RTX cards, they actually prioritize people who didn’t get one from the waiting list/queue yet over ones who got, say, a 3080 from the queue and re-entered for a 3080 Ti. 

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Are there buy limits?  Otherwise the scalpers can easily cover this cost leaving regular Joe's still out to dry.

I assume yes because I know that pokemon cards are 2 per person. I've never tried to checkout with 2 PS5's though.

14 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm guessing the manufacturers don't sell directly because it would tick off the retailers. There must be back door arrangements that effect how they can sell the stuff.

Anyway, doesn't Microsoft sell directly to the customer anyway? I don't get it.

14 hours ago, Jason said:

I would hazard a guess that there are very few companies that are as on point with projecting their internal logistics capabilities and customer demand as Apple.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

EVGA does this as well, but it’s a much slower grind. With the RTX cards, they actually prioritize people who didn’t get one from the waiting list/queue yet over ones who got, say, a 3080 from the queue and re-entered for a 3080 Ti. 

I've been in a queue since June. They made some adjustments recently, so I'm hopeful that I might get notified soon. 

19 minutes ago, ort said:

I'm guessing the manufacturers don't sell directly because it would tick off the retailers. There must be back door arrangements that effect how they can sell the stuff.

Anyway, doesn't Microsoft sell directly to the customer anyway? I don't get it.

I meant that Best Buy could take your order and just send it to you when they can.

It looks like Microsoft doesn't currently sell their consoles. Their page just links to retailers. There's a big Microsoft logo too, and I'm guessing when supply catches up to demand they do sell consoles direct, but they can't now because of deals they have with these retailers.

Like I said earlier, I'm guessing retailers are contractually forbidden from making a wait list, because none of them actually want that. What would happen is everyone would get on every wait list and it would just be a mess.

I don't know, but these things are messy and there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes.

Who could have guessed that like it would take years for supply to catch up with demand.

8 minutes ago, ort said:

It looks like Microsoft doesn't currently sell their consoles. Their page just links to retailers. There's a big Microsoft logo too, and I'm guessing when supply catches up to demand they do sell consoles direct, but they can't now because of deals they have with these retailers.

They sell it, it's just never in stock

22 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They sell it, it's just never in stock

WWW.NOWINSTOCK.NET

Microsoft Xbox Series X full in stock history. View this page to find when and where the Microsoft Xbox Series X has been in stock in the recent past.

MS store is on here a lot, they just don't go for an extended period of time so it must be limited quantities every time.

10 minutes ago, Nokt said:

WWW.NOWINSTOCK.NET

Microsoft Xbox Series X full in stock history. View this page to find when and where the Microsoft Xbox Series X has been in stock in the recent past.

MS store is on here a lot, they just don't go for an extended period of time so it must be limited quantities every time.

I’m on the Telegram channel for Xbox stock drops. I immediately click through and the furthest I’ve gotten is adding something to my cart, but can never successfully check out. It’s either extremely limited, the bots outninja me within seconds, or both.

47 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’m on the Telegram channel for Xbox stock drops. I immediately click through and the furthest I’ve gotten is adding something to my cart, but can never successfully check out. It’s either extremely limited, the bots outninja me within seconds, or both.

I've had the best luck with Walmart and Best Buy. Just stay checked in for both otherwise you might lose out having to login. Also downloading the apps helps a lot too, sometimes you won't get the errors on the app like you would on a browser.

I did get lucky with amazon once as well.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:47 PM, Jason said:

I actually didn’t get one. I was all ready to throw my money at a new one (got the 13 Pro), but the update was horrible. They lost me at “same great battery life”. No. The Apple Watch battery life is shit. I stick with it because I love the functionality, but the battery life is easily the worst thing about the device. 

I've pretty much given up on getting a console for this generation. They could have fixed this garbage system before enacting it, but they saw scalpers as some kind of huge profit, even though they sell consoles at a loss to gain customers for their online stores.

I've been a long-time loyal Best Buy customer but there's zero chance I'm ever going to pay $200 just to have a slight chance of getting a future console. That's ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, stepee said:

damn, striking out here, though neither target is picking up in electronics, which has frustratingly been often the case. These stores have like no staff.

It’s bare bones. Even when I went last week, they had to page someone for assistance and it took about 15 mins for someone to show up for a 30 second question. My sister wants one for the niece so I am trying to secure one for her first.