Oppenheimer (starring Cillian Murphy, written/directed by Christopher Nolan) - update (11/29): the "Oppenheimer 4K UHD Physical Media Shortage Crisis" is over!

Brian

14 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
Universal-Pictures-Logo.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

Universal has unveiled a first-look photo from 'Oppenheimer,' also announcing that Kenneth Branagh has joined the cast.

Murphy as Oppenheimer:

Oppenheimer-Cilian-Murphy.jpg?w=1024

Oppenheimer as Oppenheimer:

j-robert-oppenheimer-now-i-am-become-dea

I don't know why, but Oppenheimer as Oppenheimer made me laugh which I had to supress because I'm eating lunch in the break room with food in my mouth, so thanks for that. 

• 4 months later...
  • Brian changed the title to Update: Christopher Nolan/Universal Pictures J. Robert Oppenheimer film to debut on July 21 2023 with Cillian Murphy in title role. Damon and Downey Jr. added

I'm going to take this opportunity to plug the Pulitzer Prize-winning biography upon which the film is based:

WWW.PENGUINRANDOMHOUSE.COM

WINNER OF THE PULITZER PRIZE FOR NONFICTION • “The definitive biography" (Newsweek) of J. Robert Oppenheimer, one of the iconic figures of the twentieth century, a brilliant physicist...

I can unhesitatingly say without reservation that it is one of the finest pieces of non-fiction writing that I've ever experienced!

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I believe that's the case except for the Trinity explosion.

That'll mark the first time Nolan has done a black and white feature since Following, not counting the flashback scenes in Memento. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

That'll mark the first time Nolan has done a black and white feature since Following, not counting the flashback scenes in Memento. 

I'm just hoping this is more like Following, Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, and Dunkirk and less like the Batman trilogy, Inception, Interstellar, and Tenet. I like all of Nolan's movies (yes, even Tenet, the opening prologue is mesmerizing). I like blockbuster Nolan but restrained Nolan is usually better (I know that's weird to say when The Prestige and Dunkirk are blockbuster films but I think people know what I mean). 

• Halal 1

30 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

From what a friend at Uni told me, there is much less spectacle in this flick than most of his filmography.

That will make it harder for Nolan to justify when we can't hear the dialogue over the background noise of a regular science lab thanks to the shittiest audio mixing on the planet.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm just hoping this is more like Following, Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, and Dunkirk and less like the Batman trilogy, Inception, Interstellar, and Tenet. I like all of Nolan's movies (yes, even Tenet, the opening prologue is mesmerizing). I like blockbuster Nolan but restrained Nolan is usually better (I know that's weird to say when The Prestige and Dunkirk are blockbuster films but I think people know what I mean). 

I completely understand what you're saying, and I've been hoping to see more character focused drama from Nolan from a while now. I still think The Dark Knight is his best movie (probably because of my Batman bias), but it would be nice for him to take a break from the high action blockbuster, and refresh himself with a thriller or drama again. Very much looking forward to this, and it'll for sure still have some amazing shots. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'd love to get a smaller Nolan film, so happy to hear it.

And I say that in the same position: loved TDK trilogy, Inception, all that jazz (I have Tenet waiting to be watched but we don't have surround hooked up and I refuse to listen to Tenet on regular TV speakers since I may need all the help I can get :p), he's fantastic with blockbusters, I don't want him to stop, but I wish I could get stuff like Memento again.

Doubt this would be a mind warp like Memento, but I want another small mind warp again.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Speaking of Robert Oppenheimer...

gettyimages-56949086_wide-b4eccccec1f0ba
WWW.NPR.ORG

J. Robert Oppenheimer, the father of the atomic bomb, lost his security clearance "through a flawed process that violated the Commission's own regulations," according to the Department of Energy.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And Tenet was a profoundly mediocre film.

Hell, this is the most entertaining thing to come out of Tenet!

It's funny; Memento is both really interesting as a movie but it's also a really neat exploration of the concept of anterograde amnesia that I don't think would work as well in most other mediums. It's not subtle but it doesn't beat you over the head with, "hey you're watching the movie but you're just like the guy (lol get it) IN the movie because you don't know what happened either!" I love The Prestige and Inception but they both spend a bit more time telling as well as showing. And by Tenet there's just a ton of both and it's all just gobbledygook.

Looking at his filmography quickly I suspect I like the stuff he writes by himself the least, though I'd probably want to think about that more before I hang my hat on it.

• 4 months later...

The idea that scientists (like the ACTUAL scientists who worked on the Manhattan project) thought that there was even a remote possibility that a nuclear bomb would destroy the world is a total myth. I get that it makes for good storytelling, but it's patently false.

I think it comes from some scientist saying "like... yeah, sure, maybe, a hypothetical bomb, if it was the size of Connecticut was detonated then yeah, potentially the atmosphere could fucking explode" and people ran with that.

• True 1