Oppenheimer (starring Cillian Murphy, written/directed by Christopher Nolan) - update (11/29): the "Oppenheimer 4K UHD Physical Media Shortage Crisis" is over!

Brian

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Why do I feel like they intentionally under supplied retailers just to get this headline. 

Same thing happened with Disney and Avatar: The Way of Water 3D. I waited until release day to buy on Amazon.ca and they were already taking back orders. They were listed in stock 2 days before release day when I had last checked them. I still saw some copies of Oppenheimer 4K at my Walmart, and I too still need to grab a copy.

Rewatched this amazing piece of cinema earlier today and JFC! It is abso-fucking-lutely superior in a subsequent viewing! SO many things in the first hour come back around in the 3rd that I wasn't wholly able to pick up on amidst the spectacle of it all upon the first viewing in a theater. That final hour post *BOOM* is now in a way far more nail biting than the bomb itself, truly fascinating what happened to Robert. Also, speaking of Robert's, please give Downey his supporting Oscar, because MY GAWD!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Oppenheimer (starring Cillian Murphy, written/directed by Christopher Nolan) - update (11/29): the "Oppenheimer 4K UHD Physical Media Shortage Crisis" is over!
  • 1 month later...

I just watched this for the first time and tbh I think I'm over Nolan. While there are aspects of the movie I liked, the herky jerky nature of the time jumping and small snippets of dialogue that allow for lttle character development outside of a select few characters just left me flat. Its a common problem with many big blockbusters now a days where the director is so worried the audience will get bored they constantly throw shit in your face.

It tried to do too many things all at once and ended up failing on all fronts in an incoherent mess.

The documentary To End All War Oppenheimer and the Atomic Bomb was much more compelling and more importantly coherent. 

Edit: This movie would have been 1000x better if it was slower paced and linear where you actually got to know the characters and showed how they changed over over time. 

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Edit: This movie would have been 1000x better if it was slower paced and linear where you actually got to know the characters and showed how they changed over over time

I don’t mind the non-linear story telling. In this movie it serves to allowing jumping around and for most of the movie it feels more natural as it is a series of stories being told from a couple of perspectives. Why did we jump ahead by weeks, months, or years? Because somebody was answering a question. 

though for me the middle is the strongest part of the film and where I wish we spent more time. I didn’t care for the imaginative visionary sequences of Oppenheimer where he’s spacing out or dreaming of particles colliding. It would have been fine if he was visualizing a hypothesis or an equation. But it just felt like Nolan trying to tell us that nuclear fusion was always with Oppenheimer.  

kind of a small nitpick, but I kind of hated the way this movie was marketed and hyped. Specifically around the whole “oh we didn’t use CGI. It was a practical explosion.”  Yeah, and it doesn’t look like the trinity test detonation. this spoke of a film maker so far up his own ass that he refuses to use a tool that was created to make the impossible and put it on screen. 

I don't mind non linear storytelling either, hell Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies but this is a biopic. While yeah I understand the whole flashback thing it really hurt character development. It would have been much better served if we were allowed to see how the unfolding events changed Oppie.

I also felt like the dialogue was way too "Sorkinesque" where it was way too fast paced and snappy creating a feeling of heightened reality which I didn't care for in a movie like this. I wanted something less dramatized and more based in reality. 

21 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

I wanted something less dramatized and more based in reality. 

There was zero chance of this happening with Nolan, dude is all dramatization and stylization. Even Dunkirk, his most naturalistic film, is mostly a vibe movie and even that one has three different "timelines" going on.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

There was zero chance of this happening with Nolan, dude is all dramatization and stylization. Even Dunkirk, his most naturalistic film, is mostly a vibe movie and even that one has three different "timelines" going on.

Interstellar/Dunkirk/Tenet are overdue for me to watch. We've had plenty of opportunities but we haven't been in "the mood" when we've sat down. Eventually, I'm sure!

Side note, if they ever make "supporting actor" awards for people who were in the movie for a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit of time instead of people who are in the movie almost as long as the protagonist, that award goes to Gary Oldman who had a memorable as fuck 3 minutes in this 3-hour epic.

• Hype 1

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I just think he was the wrong director for this movie. I think PT Anderson would have been a good choice.

My boss had a very funny reaction to this movie. He only cared about the war/the bomb, and expected the entire movie to be about that. You know how people say “I’m not mad, just disappointed”? Not him. Dude was mad

I watched To End All War Oppenheimer and the Atomic Bomb so I knew everything before going in to the movie including the parts about his love life. I wanted a character study and Cillian Murphy did a damn fine job with what was given to him. 

Oppenhemer in the style of There Would Be Blood would have been fire.

• Halal 1