Oppenheimer (starring Cillian Murphy, written/directed by Christopher Nolan) - update (11/29): the "Oppenheimer 4K UHD Physical Media Shortage Crisis" is over!

Brian

I loved it. It was much more comprehensive than I expected. I thought that even in 3 hours that it would focus more and omit more of the book, but Nolan really did try and fit as much in as possible. It’s extremely close to the book in how it portrays Oppie’s complex and contradictory opinions on difficult topics. I have the feeling that people might be frustrated by a lack of clarity or consistency and be left not entirely sure how to feel about the man, but that was very much from the text. Nolan took few major creative liberties, preferring generally to be ambiguous where the history is less than certain.

This movie is exactly 3 hours, and with the news that there's no trailers before because there's no room left on the film reel because IMAX film is so big it can only be a maximum of 3 hours, it makes me wonder if there's a lot of cut scenes that Nolan wanted to put in the movie, but ultimately literally couldn't because he ran out of room. I remember when The Dark Knight Rises came out a similar thing was being said because that film was so long, but almost reaching the limit. Ultimately there weren't any deleted scenes on the Blu-ray though. 

On 7/23/2023 at 12:37 PM, Brick said:

This movie is exactly 3 hours, and with the news that there's no trailers before because there's no room left on the film reel because IMAX film is so big it can only be a maximum of 3 hours, it makes me wonder if there's a lot of cut scenes that Nolan wanted to put in the movie, but ultimately literally couldn't because he ran out of room. I remember when The Dark Knight Rises came out a similar thing was being said because that film was so long, but almost reaching the limit. Ultimately there weren't any deleted scenes on the Blu-ray though. 

There's obviously a lot from the book that he didn't fit, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bunch on the cutting room floor, but not much of it is from the time periods that Nolan focuses on. The book has a lot about Oppie's youth that probably wouldn't have worked, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's more post-trinity pre-hearings stuff that at least made the script.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

So how is the sound mixing on this? 

I saw it in IMAX and it was booming and loud, but I don't recall missing any dialog.

The cast in the movie is incredible, especially considering I either didn't realize they were in the movie (Casey Affleck, Gary Oldman) or it took me a while to recognize them.

Gary Oldman in particular -- I found

Spoiler

Truman

quite memorable, but now I shouldn't be shocked considering that was Oldman.

• Halal 1

13 hours ago, best3444 said:
  Hide contents

One of the nit picks on the movie was where the American flag is shown with 50 stars. In 1945 there were only 48 states. Movie sucks. :p

Also a few other small things I noticed (but didn't ruin the film at all):

Spoiler
  • A nixie clock was counting down the trinity test, but they weren't even invented until 1955
  • Multiple references to Jewish people being put into camps/references to holocaust (without calling it that). While Hitler's distaste for Jewish people was well-known, the actual goings on of the camps within Germany and eastern Europe was not well known until after the war

Overall thought the movie was really great. Was more balanced on the horrors of the bomb that I thought it would be.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

I didn’t realize it was Gary Oldman until after then I went duh. Knew he looked familiar, but Oldman is like a chameleon in his roles. 

I also missed Casey Affleck and Josh Peck. 

The treatment of Jews was being reported on in the US papers during the war. Toward the end it was hard to deny, though the scale wasn’t quite known at that point. But Jewish leaders had definitely gotten word of mass murder and it was being reported by then. Ken Burns’ recent doc is still fresh in my mind. I think of it often. 

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

The cast in the movie is incredible, especially considering I either didn't realize they were in the movie (Casey Affleck, Gary Oldman) or it took me a while to recognize them.

Gary Oldman in particular -- I found

Reveal hidden contents

quite memorable, but now I shouldn't be shocked considering that was Oldman.

Oldman being a chameleon is a longstanding meme. :p

• True 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also a few other small things I noticed (but didn't ruin the film at all):

Hide contents
  • A nixie clock was counting down the trinity test, but they weren't even invented until 1955
  • Multiple references to Jewish people being put into camps/references to holocaust (without calling it that). While Hitler's distaste for Jewish people was well-known, the actual goings on of the camps within Germany and eastern Europe was not well known until after the war

Overall thought the movie was really great. Was more balanced on the horrors of the bomb that I thought it would be.

Oppie likely had a better understanding than most when it came to the specifics of what the Jews were going through because he had been personally funding Jewish escapes from Europe, he spent time with some of the families he helped save, and he knew many Jewish scientists that had fled at various points before and during the war. It was a topic that he was personally concerned about and a driving force behind his decision to drop his politics in order to be part of the war effort.

• Like 2
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got to see this tonight in IMAX. Tickets were sold out, or close to sold out to the point of no good seats left for a long time. I agree with Leon that this raises the bar for biopics going forward. Didn't feel like a three hour movie with how well it's paced. 

• 2 months later...

Movie was great and I got everything in the end but I did feel that it was typically Nolan heavy handed with the music, camera cuts, and sometimes was difficult to follow the 4 or so timelines going on.

I got that BW was "now" and color was the past but there were like 3 past timelines out of order and two "now" out of order and there weren't many visible cues to tell which was which. So often I was like, wait is this before or after this? And it took me out of the movie anytime that happened. I know they aged them but it's not like they were walking with canes or had a scar or something that made it obvious. So even that took a second to recognize and made the movie sorta confusing. The Einstein twist (what he said) felt unnecessary and misleading but not in a "i see dead people/you're actually dead" kinda way, just unnecessary where when they revealed it I just rolled my eyes. 

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

The Einstein twist (what he said) felt unnecessary and misleading but not in a "i see dead people/you're actually dead" kinda way, just unnecessary where when they revealed it I just rolled my eyes. 

The entire point of the "reveal" was that there was nothing to reveal - Downey Jr.'s character was so far up his own ass that he presumed that Cillian Murphy had said something horrible about him to Einstein when the point was they spoke about something that had nothing to do with him. The reveal is that Murphy's character truly felt they had broken the world and that they said nothing about Downey Jr. who based all of his hatred towards Murphy over a perceived slight that never happened (well that and shitting on Downey Jr.'s paper about isotopes in front of everyone at a hearing).

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The entire point of the "reveal" was that there was nothing to reveal - Downey Jr.'s character was so far up his own ass that he presumed that Cillian Murphy had said something horrible about him to Einstein when the point was they spoke about something that had nothing to do with him. The reveal is that Murphy's character truly felt they had broken the world and that they said nothing about Downey Jr. who based all of his hatred towards Murphy over a perceived slight that never happened (well that and shitting on Downey Jr.'s paper about isotopes in front of everyone at a hearing).

So yeah, eye roll. 

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

So yeah, eye roll. 

Why would that elicit an eye roll? It's directly connected to Strauss's major problems. It was an inflection point - it's not treated like a twist like you're treating it. It doesn't play like a "Sixth Sense" moment except to confirm what we already knew. Hell, the Senate aide (Alden Ehrenreich) says it probably wasn't about Strauss even before they confirm it with the Oppy-Einstein scene so it's not a twist to see the Senate aide being right.

38 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Why would that elicit an eye roll? It's directly connected to Strauss's major problems. It was an inflection point

I never assumed Einstein was upset with him so for me it was just like "uh ok" so much drama for a big no shit. I get that from his character perspective he believed that but as a viewer I wasn't in on that ride. 

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I never assumed Einstein was upset with him so for me it was just like "uh ok" so much drama for a big no shit. I get that from his character perspective he believed that but as a viewer I wasn't in on that ride. 

I didn't feel like the film was making a lot of drama out of it for us, the audience. It's clear from the beginning of the film that it's weird Strauss assumed it had to be about him. It's a big deal to Strauss, not the audience. The only semi-reveal to the audience is that Oppy so clearly looks negatively at his and Einstein's work. You and I read the "reveal" in terms of tone very differently.

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I didn't feel like the film was making a lot of drama out of it for us, the audience.

If that were true they wouldn't have toyed with it. I think the idea was so make us go ohhhhhh!!! instead I went... Wait, that's it??? Bitch you could have said that earlier I already knew this. 

Anyway, this wasn't my main issue with the movie anyway. I just found the "reveal" set-up to be dumb. I -did- enjoy the movie. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

If that were true they wouldn't have toyed with it. I think the idea was so make us go ohhhhhh!!! instead I went... Wait, that's it??? Bitch you could have said that earlier I already knew this. 

Anyway, this wasn't my main issue with the movie anyway. I just found the "reveal" set-up to be dumb. I -did- enjoy the movie. 

My wife says this scene didn't work for me because I'm an introvert and if someone walks by me in a huff idgaf

• Haha 3

DEADLINE.COM

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment says it is "working to replenish" sold-out stock of "Oppenheimer" 4K Ultra HD discs at major retailers.

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment says it is “working to replenish” sold-out stock of Oppenheimer 4K Ultra HD discs at major retailers in time for the runup to the holidays.

Major retailers like Best Buy and Amazon were out of stock on the top-end Oppenheimer discs, leading to a frenzy in after-market sales. Copies of the “Steelcase” special edition have been fetching as much as $200 a copy, according to various online reports.

“We are happy so many consumers are embracing Oppenheimer in 4K Ultra HD and understand that some retailers may currently be out of stock,” the studio’s home entertainment division said in a statement provided to Deadline. “Universal is working to replenish those retailers quickly so fans can watch the film at home in the best picture quality possible.”

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Oppenheimer (starring Cillian Murphy, written/directed by Christopher Nolan) - update: physical UHD/Blu-ray media sold out at many retailers, Universal working to replenish stocks