PlayStation CEO nixes free cross-gen PS5 upgrades for good | Upgrading God of War, Gran Turismo 7, and others from PS4 to PS5 will cost $10.

Jason

54 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I guess they don’t see Microsoft and their Xbox service as a threat. Well, fuck’em on that and god bless Xbox for helping people easily merge into the latest gen in gaming. 

Its the $70 games thing.  They want $70 to be the next gen standard for new games, as do most publishers.  But they also aren’t willing to charge $70 for a first party PS4 game.  Hence the $10 gap with cross gen.

Microsoft doesn’t care when they’re laser focused on selling subscriptions.  If/when they do go to $70, it’ll probably be because the rest of the industry has moved there.  A price increase for Games Pass wouldn’t be unexpected at that point. 

This is only an issue because covid is causing the transition to a new generation to drag out forever. The games are $70. It makes sense if you buy the PS4 version that the upgrade cost $10. The other choice is that PS4 games now all cost $70 or they simply don’t release all these games on PS4 at all. 

33 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

This is only an issue because covid is causing the transition to a new generation to drag out forever. The games are $70. It makes sense if you buy the PS4 version that the upgrade cost $10. The other choice is that PS4 games now all cost $70 or they simply don’t release all these games on PS4 at all. 

"These games are all definitely $70!

Please ignore all the PC versions that you can get for sub-$45 to $50 on pre-launch sales that run and look better! Trust us, paying $10 to upgrade a game that you already paid for from one of our systems that you paid for to another of our systems that you paid for, on the same account, is definitely a sensible thing to do and doesn't at all sound like lunacy!

Maybe next time think twice before buying two of our consoles, dipshit."

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Please ignore all the PC versions that you can get for sub-$45 to $50 on pre-launch sales that run and look better! Trust us, paying $10 to upgrade a game that you already paid for from one of our systems that you paid for to another of our systems that you paid for, on the same account, is definitely a sensible thing to do and doesn't at all sound like lunacy!

Not too loud now, they’ll catch on…

NBA-2K22.jpeg
WWW.DSOGAMING.COM

Similarly to NBA 2K21, the PC version of NBA 2K22 will be based on its old-gen build.

16 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah, sports games did that at the start of last-gen too.

Yup.  My problem with this is that I don’t like the sound of a lesser price tag reflecting on the quality of the port job.

Maybe it’s not as much of a concern on PC these days.  Even Japanese developers have gotten a better hang of things.

The larger issue is last gen versions of games.  It’s already been bad enough lately.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

The PC argument is tired considering you pay 3-4 times as much for the hardware. Also please link me to the God of War PC version that shows up on steam for $45 at launch. 

But I don’t have an issue with games jumping $10 in base price after more than a decade at the same price. Covid and chip shortages make this a unique situation. These games are $70. They’re making them available to previous gen(when they wouldn’t have by now in a normal gen transition) for the previous gens normal price. It makes sense to charge the extra $10 to upgrade. 

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

The PC argument is tired considering you pay 3-4 times as much for the hardware. Also please link me to the God of War PC version that shows up on steam for $45 at launch. 

But I don’t have an issue with games jumping $10 in base price after more than a decade at the same price. Covid and chip shortages make this a unique situation. These games are $70. They’re making them available to previous gen(when they wouldn’t have by now in a normal gen transition) for the previous gens normal price. It makes sense to charge the extra $10 to upgrade. 

Weird of you to talk about how expensive the hardware is and then literally talk about how you don't care about being charged more. That $10 adds up fast if you do regular gaming.

And the PC argument isn't about the price of the hardware. What the fuck does the price of my PC have to do with the price of a video game? It's the same exact software. Why is it $10 more? The PS5 costs over twice as much as the PS4... so shouldn't it also be cheaper according to this logic?

Also Tales of Arise is $60 and you get the PS4 and PS5 version. Weird, it's almost like the $10 price hike is bullshit greed and doesn't need to be defended.

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

The PC argument is tired considering you pay 3-4 times as much for the hardware.

How is this relevant at all? There's no "console manufacturer" getting a cut of the PC hardware sales the way there with console games. 

All Sony is doing is making it way easier to wait until late next year to get a PS5. By then I'll be able to get all the games that have released up till then for much cheaper than that $70 launch price.

I've been quite happy with my Series S and with all the enhancements that have been getting released for it and will play all the multiplats right there. I can easily wait for the tiny handful of must-have Sony exclusives.

The funny argument I see the most is that these developers need to be paid for the upgrade work so the $10 is justified.

Sony is their publisher, they are being paid by Sony.  The same PlayStation that is making record profits and revenues each quarter.  There is no reason PlayStation can't be paying these studios for the work while not nickel and diming their most loyal customers that are buying their new hardware immediately.  Especially when much smaller teams and publishers are offering free upgrades on all their titles.

The developers are also doing this work anyway to upgrade their engines and technology for their next games anyway.  Like Spiderman Remastered, all that work was being done for Spiderman 2 and Miles Morales anyway, so there was no reason to have to charge for an upgrade for next gen.

The $10 isn't really a big deal, it's more the principle of it for me.  And the fact they cleverly packaged these remasters as "Directors Cuts" so that they can charge for games because they probably knew reselling remasters would not be acceptable this gen.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The funny argument I see the most is that these developers need to be paid for the upgrade work so the $10 is justified.

Sony is their publisher, they are being paid by Sony.  The same PlayStation that is making record profits and revenues each quarter.  There is no reason PlayStation can't be paying these studios for the work while not nickel and diming their most loyal customers that are buying their new hardware immediately.  Especially when much smaller teams and publishers are offering free upgrades on all their titles.

The developers are also doing this work anyway to upgrade their engines and technology for their next games anyway.  Like Spiderman Remastered, all that work was being done for Spiderman 2 and Miles Morales anyway, so there was no reason to have to charge for an upgrade for next gen.

The $10 isn't really a big deal, it's more the principle of it for me.  And the fact they cleverly packaged these remasters as "Directors Cuts" so that they can charge for games because they probably knew reselling remasters would not be acceptable this gen.

Not to mention the "upgrade work" the developers are doing is probably the target spec. You don't make a 1080p texture then say, "Well, now I gotta go and make it again at 4k." They'll make the 4k textures first, then scale it down to comply with older consoles.

This "upgrade work" is only a thing if they took an older game that was already made and went back to remaster it. None of the AAA games in development since the announcement of the PS4 Pro and One X have been made with the base consoles as the target spec. What the fanboys are using as a defense is a figment of their imagination.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Not to mention the "upgrade work" the developers are doing is probably the target spec. You don't make a 1080p texture then say, "Well, now I gotta go and make it again at 4k." They'll make the 4k textures first, then scale it down to comply with older consoles.

Which is why I see it more as an issue of "downgrade work." 

PS5 & Series X will soon be the target spec (if they aren't already).  Trying to dumb down today's games to run well on the Pro/X1X, and PS4/XBO especially, isn't automatic.  It's true that games are built to be scalable.  But cobbling together prior gen builds that don't look and play like absolute messes will only get more difficult.  We already saw Cyperpunk illustrate just how big of a problem it could be.  On low end PCs, that crudeness comes with the territory.  But on consoles... it's not shipable.  Or at least it shouldn't be.

If we're talking strictly about extra work being done, its the last gen versions that should be costing more.  Instead, they're going for less.  I expect that to have some bearing on port quality going forward, for 3rd party publishers most particularly.  Not to mention there's the challenge of having to support 7+ unique console specs now too.

11 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

They should just charge $70 for the PS4 version like they do the PS5 version so you get both versions. This $10-thing is dumb.

I'm sure this would be an unpopular solution, but it feels like the right answer to me. Clears up all confusion and Sony gets paid.

If you’re worried that people will buy the PS4 version at $60 instead of the PS5 version at $70, and then get the free PS5 upgrade immediately…there are a bunch of simple ways to prevent that. They could make a timer that delays the upgrade option for X number of days after you first play the PS4 version.