Bloomberg: Game console supply for coming holiday season and even next year doesn't look good. If you are planning to buy Switch OLED model, be sure to get 1st batch.

Brian

20 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

That's what I've always thought, but now I'm like it can't JUST be that. Maybe it is.

Covid caused factories to shut while increasing the demand for chips (WFH equipment, Remote learning equipment, leisure electronics, etc)

COVID caused the chip shortage. Factories shut down during the pandemic and that caused a ripple effect in the supply chain that affected ALL electronics. Factories are back online now for the most part but everyone is trying to make up for the backlog. When the world shut down, demand for electronics shot up which exacerbated the problem.

Like, they keep saying "Chip Shortage", but also selling faster than even the PS2. The whole thing is strange. I get that theres some of both, but I see people online pretending this is like, a failed launch or something, when in fact its the fastest selling console, maybe ever? Ten million a month or so ago. How many at the end of year one? 13-14m? How many more could they have realistically shipped?

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

COVID caused the chip shortage. Factories shut down during the pandemic and that caused a ripple effect in the supply chain that affected ALL electronics. Factories are back online now for the most part but everyone is trying to make up for the backlog. When the world shut down, demand for electronics shot up which exacerbated the problem.

Yeah this. 

It’s not as simple as covid at this point. The world’s entire supply chain is all fucked up right now, it’s not just electronics either, and it probably isn’t going to get fixed for a few years, if ever. 

Seems like at this point we should have more factories in more countries. I feel like we should be light years beyond shortages for electronics at this point, COVID or no. It reminds me of when that one factory in Thailand shorted our hard drive supply for a while. While I'm by no means an expert, everything being so (what appears to me) centralized seems really bad in the long-term, even if we completely ignore the last couple of years.

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

I got a LG A1 OLED and my resistance to the Switch OLED is failing.

I haven't kept up with anything about the Switch OLED, but hearing that it's basically the same power profile plus an OLED is for some reason wildly hilarious to me. "Look at these games run like shit in super low resolution... on an OLED!" Motherfucker get your performance sorted out first!

3 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Same - I’m not overly upset by that and hopefully at that point the PS5 will have more than R&C to play.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

By then it will have R&C Director's Cut. Am I right @Biggie?

Seriously guys?  This isn’t even true today.

The most disappointing thing about the next gen consoles is how few games aren’t cross gen.  As someone who’s holding off… I still wish I could play Returnal.

19 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Seems like at this point we should have more factories in more countries. I feel like we should be light years beyond shortages for electronics at this point, COVID or no. It reminds me of when that one factory in Thailand shorted our hard drive supply for a while. While I'm by no means an expert, everything being so (what appears to me) centralized seems really bad in the long-term, even if we completely ignore the last couple of years.

I haven't kept up with anything about the Switch OLED, but hearing that it's basically the same power profile plus an OLED is for some reason wildly hilarious to me. "Look at these games run like shit in super low resolution... on an OLED!" Motherfucker get your performance sorted out first!

Ya its the same thing. Though I'd get better battery life over the OG Switch. I should continue resisting though. My biggest beef with the Switch is performance. It's really bad when 1st party/exclusives don't run well. Indes have been relegated to steam since I have an Aya Neo and the Deck eventually.

I was going to get a Switch OLED, but then somebody broke into my Walmart account and made an order on my account without Walmart giving a single shit.  No notification of a login and they didn't even require the person to enter a security number for the card.  The card I used to pre-order it with is canceled and Walmart will not apply another card to it.  All I can hope is they have a system in place like Best Buy, that when it goes to bill you, notifies you your payment needs to be updated or else it's no Switch for me.  

7 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Seriously guys?  This isn’t even true today.

The most disappointing thing about the next gen consoles is how few games aren’t cross gen.  As someone who’s holding off… I still wish I could play Returnal.

The next gen consoles are essentially paperweights that play last gen games better so far. 

Returnal's pretty good but it's not some amazing game you need to rush out and play. It's like a mid-budget roguelike. (Whereas most roguelikes are shoestring budget, so mid-budget is comparatively extremely high.)

Honestly I would've liked it more if they had just hand-crafted stages and built a fast-paced third-person Metroid Prime. It wouldn't fit the theme QUITE as well but I think it'd be a more satisfying experience.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Returnal's pretty good but it's not some amazing game you need to rush out and play.

I’m sure it’s no Hades, but conceptually I’m more interested in it than most releases this year.  It’s in good company though.  This is shaping up to be an unusually great year for new IPs from mid-sized studios.

On 9/3/2021 at 5:52 PM, Xbob42 said:

Just think of how much worse it would be if that TSMC engineer didn't leak secrets to Samsung manufacturing.