Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition (11 November 2021, PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (Rockstar Launcher-only)/Switch) - Official Trailer and Screenshots

Brian

5 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Wha...what happened here?!

Some people actually care what their "definitive / remasters" look like, like Ubisoft with Prince of Persia.

Rockstar said fuck it and let it go like this. A pretty sad effort when you consider how many billions of dollars they get from GTA Online and GTAV. What are they putting that money into?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You made a twitter account just for this game? :p

Yeah, it’s that pretty. No, I was just setting up an account so I could easily post pictures because I’m tired of trying to upload pics to imgur or whatever and I don’t otherwise use twitter. Now I can use it for other games and on ps5 but idk if there’s an easy way to link to twitter from steam to post?

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Some people actually care what their "definitive / remasters" look like, like Ubisoft with Prince of Persia.

Rockstar said fuck it and let it go like this. A pretty sad effort when you consider how many billions of dollars they get from GTA Online and GTAV. What are they putting that money into?

Hookers and blow, perhaps? Life imitates art, I guess. 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's extremely disappointing that they haven't made a new game in 8 years. With all the money they have I hope to God GTA 6 is spectacular. Bethesda and Rockstar are just milking the shit out of their games and it’s comical at this point.

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's extremely disappointing that they haven't made a new game in 8 years. With all the money they have I hope to God GTA 6 is spectacular. Bethesda and Rockstar are just milking the shit out of their games and it’s comical at this point.

What do you want though? They’re developing… do you want them to churn out titles? It has been reported a lot that the scale of these games requires absurd amounts of time and manpower and you can’t hold them to standards that they used to release games in if you want the polish of the games that they do put out. 

I mean if you want them to recycle assets and churn out yearly or every other year titles like something like assassins creed does, more power to you. I prefer they take their time and make something with a little more soul. 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

What do you want though? They’re developing… do you want them to churn out titles? It has been reported a lot that the scale of these games requires absurd amounts of time and manpower and you can’t hold them to standards that they used to release games in if you want the polish of the games that they do put out. 

I mean if you want them to recycle assets and churn out yearly or every other year titles like something like assassins creed does, more power to you. I prefer they take their time and make something with a little more soul. 

I mean... there's "taking your time" and there's "this isn't a priority." Rockstar and Bethesda both seem to follow the latter category (at least for Bethesda until they got bought by Microsoft).

Rockstar:

2008 - Grand Theft Auto IV (in development for ~4.5 years)

2008 - Midnight Club: Los Angeles

2009 - Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

2010 - Red Dead Redemption

2011 - L.A. Noire

2012 - Max Payne 3

2013 - Grand Theft Auto V

2014 - 

2015 - 

2016 - 

2017 - 

2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2

2019 - 

2020 - 

2021 - 

2022 - 

It's very clear that actually making new games is not really a priority for Rockstar as long as they can milk GTA Online. 1 new game in the last 8 years for a company that has, what, 9 development studios? Maybe you don't want them to be like Ubisoft and pump out annual releases, but surely there's a fucking happy medium there.

Bethesda was falling into a similar pattern, I think getting bought by Microsoft is probably the best thing that could have happened to an Elder Scrolls fan in that it means we'll actually fucking see another one in our lifetime.

2002 - Morrowind

2006 - Oblivion

2008 - Fallout 3

2011 - Skyrim

2015 - Fallout 4

2018 - Fallout 76 (made using mostly re-used assets from Fallout 4)

So in the case of Bethesda, it's been 6 years since they released a game with actual original assets. At first I thought "oh, they must be making a new engine or something because they've been using the same engine since Oblivion." Nope, Starfield uses the same engine, as does (presumably) ES6. And Starfield is at least another year out.

They just don't want to put the money into it. It's easier to keep re-releasing Skyrim, or make an MMO-lite with reused assets, or keep milking GTA, or whatever. It pays the bills.

Say what you want about Ubisoft and how basically all of their main franchises have been slowly turning into Far Cry with different skins, but at least they actually put out new content regularly, and most of it is still pretty good.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean... there's "taking your time" and there's "this isn't a priority." Rockstar and Bethesda both seem to follow the latter category (at least for Bethesda until they got bought by Microsoft).

Rockstar:

2011 - L.A. Noire

2012 - Max Payne 3

2014 - 

2015 - 

2016 - 

2017 - 

2019 - 

2020 - 

2021 - 

2022 - 

It's very clear that actually making new games is not really a priority for Rockstar as long as they can milk GTA Online. 1 new game in the last 8 years for a company that has, what, 9 development studios? Maybe you don't want them to be like Ubisoft and pump out annual releases, but surely there's a fucking happy medium there.

Bethesda was falling into a similar pattern, I think getting bought by Microsoft is probably the best thing that could have happened to an Elder Scrolls fan in that it means we'll actually fucking see another one in our lifetime.

2002 - Morrowind

2006 - Oblivion

2008 - Fallout 3

2011 - Skyrim

2015 - Fallout 4

So in the case of Bethesda, it's been 6 years since they released a game with actual original assets. At first I thought "oh, they must be making a new engine or something because they've been using the same engine since Oblivion." Nope, Starfield uses the same engine, as does (presumably) ES6. And Starfield is at least another year out.

They just don't want to put the money into it. It's easier to keep re-releasing Skyrim, or make an MMO-lite with reused assets, or keep milking GTA, or whatever. It pays the bills.

Say what you want about Ubisoft and how basically all of their main franchises have been slowly turning into Far Cry with different skins, but at least they actually put out new content regularly, and most of it is still pretty good.

This sums it up. 

10 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Rockstar:

2011 - L.A. Noire

2012 - Max Payne 3

2014 - 

2015 - 

2016 - 

2017 - 

2019 - 

2020 - 

2021 - 

2022 - 

2002 - Morrowind

2006 - Oblivion

2008 - Fallout 3

2011 - Skyrim

2015 - Fallout 4

You did the exact thing I said wasn't really how it works anymore. Tracking gaps between games isn't the right way to look at it. The dev time gets exponentially longer as the tech / assets become better and more detailed. I also thing "one game in 8 years" is a purposely obtuse way to look at it. 

Rockstar at least doesn't develop games in the same way that many AAA devs do. They have a much more specific and unified vision, they polish the fuck out of it, and I certainly understand people have their quibbles with the end result or think it flat out sucks, but you can't deny there's a quality there that doesn't exist in 99 percent of games. To keep using Assassin's Creed, it's clear that is a game that is taken through many different teams, gets passed around and churned out without nearly as much cohesiveness with the end product. 

Do I think Rockstar could produce a game in less time than they do at the similar quality that I am looking for? Yeah, probably. But what's the human cost there, what the fuck am I personally so up in arms about when as I referenced in another thread I can't play everything I'd like to as it, etc. I think it's closer to they're taking their time and making what they want than "they're milking a cash cow and don't give a shit." 

Also, while we personally may not give half a shit about GTA Online, it's one of the biggest games in the world. It's also not fair to toss that aside as some irrelevant development that is solely for the sake of profit. That game has a community that wants content, and it's fine for Rockstar to continuously support it. 

• Like 1

I just hate that it's pretty much just Sony and Ubisoft left that are driving narrative-driven, single player games in the AAA space. Those games absolutely still make money, it's just a long time between initial investment and profit, which share holders don't necessarily like. Epic? Fortnite till I die, bitch. Blizzard? Last single player game was Diablo 3, almost a decade ago, and who the hell knows what Diablo 4 will look like, if it ever even comes out. Bungie? Just Destiny. Rockstar? Since GTA V, they've made one single player game. They employ hundreds of developers in-house, they could have pumped out more than one game in the last 8 years, they just don't want to.

I could go on. It just makes me sad because the single-player, narrative driven experience is what got a lot of us into video games in the first place, and they're dying at least in the AAA space. Rockstar doesn't want to do them anymore, Bungie doesn't want to do them anymore, Blizzard doesn't want to do them anymore, even BioWare tried to get away from it and luckily failed spectacularly.

I understand why. A single-player, narrative-driven AAA game takes anywhere from 4-7 years to make. Less than that if you can reuse assets. That is a long time for ROI.

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are still pushing them because they want to push consoles, and they know that single-player, narrative-driven games push consoles better than anything that isn't FIFA or Call of Duty, which are already on every console. Other than Ubisoft and to a lesser extent Square Enix, most third party AAA publishers seem to have decided that developing those games isn't worth the investment. Not because they don't make money, but because they don't make money fast enough.

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

-snip-

It's funny. Just yesterday I was thinking about how video games are taking too long to be made for games that really aren't THAT good. I never thought RDR2 was that good. Beautiful game, amazing story, but the parts where the player is actually playing the game is mediocre at best. 

I think of TES6 and I think of all the TES games that came before it. I am sure it will look much better, but will the gameplay be better? Will even the main story be better? I know I didn't like BOTW that much and that's whatever, but should BOTW2 really be taking this long to come out? We don't know much about it so maybe it is a whole different game but that came out in 2017. There is a bunch of other series that have been like this. Bigger but not often better. 

This is part of what makes me like FROM so much. I really don't care if they reuse assets and such. They are able to pump out products that feel fresh enough at a good pace. MMOs do entire expansions as well. And while I'm not a huge fan of the Ubi games, at least there is no 5+ year gap between them. Ubi games don't get exponentially better but neither have these games with over half a decade between releases. 

Of course I don't want every dev to become an Ubi-like dev, but many of these games just aren't good enough for the amount of time we had to wait. I'm tired of seeing all these "remasters" and "remakes" because they need a product to put out. I mean, I'd love a new GTA even if it only looked as good as GTA5. Different city, new story, and reuse and reskin where needed to make it fresh. Not saying games have to come out as fast as they did on the PS2 but the current pace is much too slow.