Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition (11 November 2021, PlayStation consoles/Xbox consoles/PC (Rockstar Launcher-only)/Switch) - Official Trailer and Screenshots

Brian

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I'm going Switch cause GTA on handheld and the OLED Switch will be great.

Yup. I can play SA on game pass just to see how it looks on pc, but I think I’ll be giving Vice City a run on switch this holiday. Picture the Miami lights on the oled!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, it looks good until you see nearly every character who isn't CJ. Not that I have a real interest in this, but if I did, I'd wait until a mod came out to fix some characters. Big Smoke lookin like Big Smooshed Face 

They have fingers now, but of course they don't move. It's kinda off putting. 

Man, that is really disappointing about the soundtracks. I understand it, but it still sucks. 

Good thing Spotify has the stations as playlists :p 

Regardless, this will be a great shot of nostalgia for me. They hit the PS store in about an hour, so I'll be downloading them then. I'm extremely excited. 

And just to think... I met all you people purely because I signed up for IGN in 2001 when GTA3 came out. I cut my teeth on the GTA boards of IGN. I was there when Noops-n-Gleh flew the Dodo for something like 24 hours. I was there for the Vice City stunt crew that made some incredible videos out of that board. 

The worst part here is that I'm going on a weekend trip tomorrow and won't get back until Monday night. I won't be able to lock myself in my house and while away the hours on GTA!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

Man, that is really disappointing about the soundtracks. I understand it, but it still sucks. 

Good thing Spotify has the stations as playlists :p 

Regardless, this will be a great shot of nostalgia for me. They hit the PS store in about an hour, so I'll be downloading them then. I'm extremely excited. 

And just to think... I met all you people purely because I signed up for IGN in 2001 when GTA3 came out. I cut my teeth on the GTA boards of IGN. I was there when Noops-n-Gleh flew the Dodo for something like 24 hours. I was there for the Vice City stunt crew that made some incredible videos out of that board. 

The worst part here is that I'm going on a weekend trip tomorrow and won't get back until Monday night. I won't be able to lock myself in my house and while away the hours on GTA!

You could always grab a switch and play it on that during your vacation :P

Considering the difficulties with licensing these all two decades later almost, I think they actually did a decent job. They really only lost like 15 more since the re-release ten years ago. And there are still bangers everywhere. 

Just now, stepee said:

You could always grab a switch and play it on that during your vacation :P

Considering the difficulties with licensing these all two decades later almost, I think they actually did a decent job. They really only lost like 15 more since the re-release ten years ago. And there are still bangers everywhere. 

Yeah. It isn't the FULL radio, but because of how extensive it is already, I don't think it's the end of the world. 

I do worry about the future, though, for when the licensing for others run out and there's auto-updates. But again, they're all on spotify.

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Yeah. It isn't the FULL radio, but because of how extensive it is already, I don't think it's the end of the world. 

I do worry about the future, though, for when the licensing for others run out and there's auto-updates. But again, they're all on spotify.

It would be nice if in situations like this the game could just link to your music streaming service and then play the radio stations 100% as normal. I know there is system level on consoles for streaming but it’s not the same as it just naturally playing off the in game radio.

UPDATE!

GTA3 just finished downloading. It looks amazing. Free-camera is a godsend and the physics feel just like how I remember them. 

I have already driven over a mafia gang member and stolen his 9mm. I have 6 bullets and have stolen a Patriot. 

It's very difficult to come back to my work computer and do big boy tasks. 

• Haha 2

A friend of mine died a few months ago suddenly while he was at work. I hadn't talked to him for a few years. But back when GTA III came out, I brought my ps2 over to his house and we played it all night into the morning. Half way through the night I think we discovered cheat codes somewhere and we were blown away. Definitely buying this when I get home tonight. Hoping to feel a little of that magic again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, DarkStar189 said:

A friend of mine died a few months ago suddenly while he was at work. I hadn't talked to him for a few years. But back when GTA III came out, I brought my ps2 over to his house and we played it all night into the morning. Half way through the night I think we discovered cheat codes somewhere and we were blown away. Definitely buying this when I get home tonight. Hoping to feel a little of that magic again.

Hang on to that memory. I'm sorry for your loss. 

I remember when Vice City came over, me and a buddy from school picked it up at the game store, then went to my house. He stayed over and we took turns playing missions well into the wee hours. The soundtrack blew us away. What a time. 

The nostalgia alone is worth the money.

In other news, I've spent my lunch break collecting hidden packages. I've got all 30 in Portland that I can get for now. So I'll have a steady stream of 9mm, Uzi, and Grenades at the hideout. 

And I've got an ice cream van stashed in my garage for when I want to do those missions. Those were notoriously hard to find. 

• Like 1

I’m pretty happy with this on switch. It looks like it’s about 600p (guessing) and it’s 30fps of course, along with reduced lighting, but it’s also on switch. The end product is still much better looking than I thought it would be when they announced these. Vice City of course looks great on the Switch oled with its color pallet. 

As a point of comparison for what would be a reasonable more modern equivalent on switch, I booted up Saints Row 3 Remastered (this was borked on release but fixed up a lot with a res scale option) and I’d say the GTA remasters actually look better to me. SR3 is super aliased and the image just never looks as clean as it does in GTA, it’s a better fit for the switch there. The city doesn’t really look much better now either though it’s a remaster of a game a generation ahead.

Open world is where the switch struggles the most so considering these turned out pretty good if you wanted these on switch, it’s about as much as the thing was ever going to do. I still stand by that I like the art style as well. 

One thing for the switch version Id say they could look into is, I think the reason it looks blurry especially in further distance might be because of a heavy layer of AA (maybe UE4 TAA?) It certainly doesn’t have lines shaking around like a lot of other switch games. So it might be running in a higher resolution than it looks like to me. They should do what Witcher 3 did with the similar thing and add an option to remove the AA or not for people who would rather deal with the aliasing and have it be sharper.

• Like 1

Playing quite a bit of Vice City and really enjoying it, but I would like to put out a performance warning on switch. My guess is i/o related streaming issues? Not sure if it’s something they can fix or not, but especially when going super fast and straight for a long time it can really throttle the fps sometimes, which is oddly nostalgic in its own annoying way. Most of the time and importantly during missions it’s been good enough for me, but it’s definitely 30fps w/drops on switch.

Also since they were a little more generous with checkpoints, they could have went further and put more checkpoints in at sensible points when the mission switches to a different type of activity.

And yeah some funny glitches, but honestly it’s nothing drastic, more often than that there are moments where I’m actually impressed to see it looking so nice on switch.

eh a lot of zoomed in nit picking going on with this particular open world game because they pulled the originals. For the most part it looks good to me when playing it besides performance issues (on all systems it seems). I’m more concerned about that and wanting it to be improved than any of the silly looking glitchy stuff.

I would have had more respect if it was just a straight up port to current gen systems rather than stripping the game of it's original style and look. Icing on the cake is it doesn't even run well even on next gen systems. Not to mention pulling old versions from all the storefronts. "Definitive Edition" my ass.

Modders still working harder than the developers

spacer.png