Spider-Man: No Way Home Trailer and Discussion Thread

@sblfilmswhen can you watch the film? I remember Disney digital keys sometimes came out on Tuesday/Wed for some Friday releases, making sure the 3D projectors were properly calibrated, but this is a Sony release. I take it the digital key isn’t out yet or not until late tonight/tomorrow. Unless you “haven’t seen” the movie already and have to wait to let us know. 

Apparently this movie is very, very good. Most people I know who have seen it early agree that it's easily the best MCU Spider-Man, and at least tied with SM1/SM2 (Raimi) in quality. It also really hits the feels with some of the nostalgia. Just in case anyone hasn't been spoiled on the mega twist/secret, I will spoiler a screenshot:

Spoiler

9hcn8nsfum581.jpg

I can't wait to see Andrew rescue MJ falling, and make up for his own failure in his own timeline.

Also, spoilers on how this will allegedly affect movies going forward:

Spoiler

Leaks out of Marvel seem to indicate that Tobey and Andrew may return (or at least Andrew) for stuff involving Secret Wars.

On 12/15/2021 at 6:59 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Apparently this movie is very, very good. Most people I know who have seen it early agree that it's easily the best MCU Spider-Man, and at least tied with SM1/SM2 (Raimi) in quality. It also really hits the feels with some of the nostalgia. Just in case anyone hasn't been spoiled on the mega twist/secret, I will spoiler a screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

Also, spoilers on how this will allegedly affect movies going forward:

Reveal hidden contents

This is interesting. SM2 is still my favorite Spider-Man movie so I hope it lives up to that!

10 hours ago, 69los said:

First thing I said to my friends after the movie

Hide contents

This was the Andrew Garfield redemption arc. I didn't really enjoy his movies but thought he was a better Spider-Man than Tobey, who was the better Peter Parker.

They need to start making movies with different actors playing the secret identity/hero. Give me George Clooney as Bruce Wayne and Michael Keaton as Batman. Don't even explain the different voice/lower part of the face.

• True 1

Saw it… for some reason the Marvel Spidey films dont ring as true as the older ones… maybe its that theyre too tied in with the larger Marvel Universe where everyone quips…  

It plays well to fans of the older movies… the story didnt exactly follow the trajectory i expected at first.. then it did

My Kingdom for a good Spiderman game on an XBOX console… if we Sony can give us MLB..

13 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Saw it… for some reason the Marvel Spidey films dont ring as true as the older ones… maybe its that theyre too tied in with the larger Marvel Universe where everyone quips…  

It plays well to fans of the older movies… the story didnt exactly follow the trajectory i expected at first.. then it did

My Kingdom for a good Spiderman game on an XBOX console… if we Sony can give us MLB..

As a general fan of Spider-Man I do find it weird how little interest I have in Holland’s version of Parker even though I think he’s well cast for the roll. Like all of the multiverse stuff is perfectly executed and is ultimately why I had a good time, but I didn’t walk away from the movie actually caring about the fate of him or his friends.

I made an unplanned trip to see this today. As someone who didn't love the Raimi films, it was really cool to see those characters return but in a different directorial style.

No spoilers whatsoever, but here's some initial thoughts.

Dafoe was amazing. He was fully committed to the role and it was like he never stopped playing Osbourne. A couple of the other villain actors did seem like they were cashing a check, but man... Without giving anything away, Green Goblin was menacing, scary, and truly formidable foe (Dafoe?). And it was nice to see that WITHOUT the cheese and camp of Raimi's approach.

I did always like Alfred Molina's Doc Ock, though. And he was right up there with Dafoe in recapturing the character to a tee. He was in the movie a good amount, and yet I still wish we got to see him more!

Again without giving anything away, this movie paid off a LOT of story beats from previous movies. And not in a stupid heavy-handed way like Star Wars has done (Solo shooting first, Chewie with his medal). A lot of fan servicey moments were a bit corny at times (mainly in the more lighthearted dialog scenes), and I probably would have been more annoyed if I didn't see this in a theater and hear how much the hardcore fans loved those moments.

Also......this movie has feels man!

• Thanks 1

It is super fanservicey but for fanservice it is very well done. It was hard to resist so after a certain point I couldn’t help but go along with it. A lot of the moments that played huge for a packed audience aren’t going to hit the same when watched alone a hear from now. I’m genuinely curious how this movie holds up in the future.

I also found it funny that my audience cheered loudly for everything related to the Raimi films except for Sandman. Absolutely no response at all for him. :lol:

24 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I also found it funny that my audience cheered loudly for everything related to the Raimi films except for Sandman. Absolutely no response at all for him. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Cheers for Tobey’s first appearance but not for Garfield in my theater. 

I got cheers for every damn character and nod to anything ever. Even at the end when it showed Spidey in his plain spandex outfit.

9 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Cheers for Tobey’s first appearance but not for Garfield in my theater. 

when the first portal was opened somebody yelled TOBEY MAGUIRE and it def lessened the cheers for Garfield, but still felt like he got a good amount in my theatre

I think it's more or less out of respect or unless there's a spoiler specific thread for the film. We do have that spoiler tag for a reason!

Spoiler

Having not been a huge fan of the first ASM & barely tuned in to see much of ASM2, I will always state that Garfield's performance as SPIDEY specifically really worked quite well (AMAZING if you will!) His role in NWH really was redeeming him specifically (to a point also doing so w/ Electro) & solidified his legacy as integral to the mythos of Spider-Man in film. As for Tobey, just really cool seeing him back in the proverbial swing of things & the 3 together have awesome chemistry!

Dafoe killed it (no pun intended I swear) while Molina continues to also be excellent in returning to Doc Ock. It was nice to see Thomas Hayden Church before the end of everything (been a fan of his since Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight!) while both Foxx & Ifans weren't quite as good but still nice to see them here. I finally gave more than shit about the "MJ" in this universe and seeing what happened to Aunt May was crushing but poignant & very well done for a send off for that character.

As for where this leaves everything going forward, I really cannot fathom where Sony & Marvel go in the future. Will the property be exclusively Sony's again, will it continue to be a partnership? If so, then how do you reincorporate Spidey with the rest of the Avengers?

Finally, after the awesome confirmation in Hawkeye earlier this week, having Charlie Cox back officially as Matt Murdoch is spec-fucking-tacular!!!

Lived up to the hype & even exceeded it. This fanboy was welling up in tears repeatedly throughout, all the reviews stating the emotional impact of this film were spot on with that!

8 hours ago, Brick said:

Hey guys let's watch our spoilers please since some of us haven't seen the movie yet, but wanted to come in here just to see impressions. 

Can't believe I even need to remind people about spoilers. Fucking hell... 

Did someone delete their post? I don't see any open spoilers in any of the posts so far.

It was strange that they got so close to 

Spoiler

giving us a multiverse version of the Sinister Six but never gave us a sixth villain to round it off. Why stop at 5? Maybe they are still wanting to use the Sinister Six somewhere down the line but it’s weird to get this close and not pull it off.

25 minutes ago, Komusha said:

It was strange that they got so close to 

Reveal hidden contents

i think that’ll be a separate movie for sony down the line 

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

i think that’ll be a separate movie for sony down the line 

After this movie there is no way that Sony doesn’t

Spoiler

return to the multiverse well again. There is just no way. Hell, they may even greenlight a 4th Tobey movie with the kind of hubris they’ll gain after this weekend.