Spider-Man: No Way Home Trailer and Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

MCU movies are so god damned lame.

Spoiler

Not this one though. Cheap tricks to tug at my heartstrings worked because I actually cared about the characters in this movie. Both for reasons that are on the screen and the meta surrounding everything. I care about the Tobey Spider-Man because he was my Spider-Man in high school. Still the best Peter Parker by a longshot. I care about the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man because he was done dirty. He was the best Spider-Man. This movie basically acknowledges that they can't do Doc Ock nor Green Goblin better than they already were done so let's cook up a scheme to bring them back! And it works brilliantly. And I loved Doc Ock's redemption. I mean god damn Alfred Molina is still so perfect for that part. And Willem Dafoe too, obviously. Jamie Foxx as well, actually. Maybe not perfect casting on his part but he owns that role now in my opinion. The other two I could take or leave.

I both love and hate that Spider-Man is basically getting a soft reboot. I think it's kind of lame from a story telling perspective to magic away everybody's memory. But I'm willing to let that go because they hard committed to other things like killing off Mae and having her stay dead. That really worked for the narrative in a new way but at the same time it was quintessentially Spider-Man. I still think Holland is... fine I guess. It still seems like he's trying too hard but definitely much less so in this outing than the previous three that he's been in. I'm sure I'll warm up to him even more in the next one.

I thought of another reason this movie was very enjoyable for me compared to the previous two.

Peter Parker felt like Peter Parker. The class struggle. The dealing with heavy life situations that we all experience as a teenager. That's what makes Spider-Man so beloved and relatable to so many people and I felt like those elements were completely missing from the previous two. But they were here in spades. Damn the more I think about this movie the more I just absolutely love it.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No, apparently sequels are being planned already. What was brilliant about this movie is that

Hide contents

Holland can continue in the MCU and Sony can do Spidey movies with both McGuire and Garfield if they want.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'm pretty sure it's flexible at this point, bur no, this is likely not Holland's final appearance as Spidey.

I thought the deal was three mainline flicks that Disney can make, but he can appear in "event" films pretty much any time. But Sony gets to make all the solo films from now on. Which I guess Tom Holland could do but I mean just go ahead and throw the continuity out the window at that point.

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

What was the Disney/Sony arrangement again? Was this Tom Holland's last outing?

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'm pretty sure it's flexible at this point, bur no, this is likely not Holland's final appearance as Spidey.

It was the last one on contract, and the ending definitely felt written to provide flexibility on Spider-Man staying MCU or going back to being solely Sony. Presumably nothing had been decided on extending the contract when the movie was written. 

53 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Which I guess Tom Holland could do but I mean just go ahead and throw the continuity out the window at that point.

This was clearly a hedge on how things went with Sony. If Sony just took Spider-Man back and this was it but they still wanted to use Holland, this gave them the clean slate they needed, and likewise it let Disney not have to explain his absence in the next team-up movie. But if Disney's allowed to keep making Spider-Man movies then it's really easy to write the next movie to un-wipe the slate.

@GeneticBlueprint

MCDSPMA_SP025.jpg?w=780
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

This weekend's smash pandemic success of "No Way Home" means more Spidey is on the way.

In a recent New York Times interview (via The Hollywood Reporter), Marvel boss Kevin Feige confirmed the comic-book titan and Sony are already “actively beginning to develop” further installments in the franchise, now led by Tom Holland.

“Amy [Pascal] and I and Disney and Sony are talking about — yes, we’re actively beginning to develop where the story heads next, which I only say outright because I don’t want fans to go through any separation trauma like what happened after ‘Far From Home,'” said Feige, referencing the period in 2019 when the pact between Disney and Sony to develop more Spider-Man titles fell through. “That will not be occurring this time.”

Doesn't get more definitive than this.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
  Hide contents

Not sure what scene you're talking about, but Charlie Cox was in the movie and he was definitely Daredevil.

Spoiler

There was a scene in a trailer with what people assumed was Peter's lawyer putting his hand down on the table so everyone was like IS IT MATT MURDOCK DEFENDING PETER, but in the movie it looked like it was all cops and that they never actually let them see a lawyer while in jail. Obviously he was Daredevil in his actual scene. :p

On 1/12/2022 at 10:38 PM, Jason said:

Hide contents

There was a scene in a trailer with what people assumed was Peter's lawyer putting his hand down on the table so everyone was like IS IT MATT MURDOCK DEFENDING PETER, but in the movie it looked like it was all cops and that they never actually let them see a lawyer while in jail. Obviously he was Daredevil in his actual scene. :p

Spoiler

Matt was in Peter's apartment and caught the brick? Did you go peeper around this scene?

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Hide contents

Matt was in Peter's apartment and caught the brick? Did you go peeper around this scene?

Spoiler

Holy shit I'm not asking if Matt was in the movie, I'm asking if that specific scene from the trailer was.

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to seeing this last night, and I really enjoyed it. I want to see it again. 

Spoiler

It may be fan service, and nostalgia, but damn it it works. So glad to see Maguire back, and even though the Garfield ones were terrible it was nice for him to get a chance to be in a good Spider-Man movie. 

I'm a little mixed on the Aunt May thing. On one hand it was a really touching moment, and I'm glad to see a genuine emotional moment in an MCU movie that isn't immediately upended with a joke, and her being his version of "Uncle Ben" essentially was kind of clever, on the other I don't know I think I still would have liked them to acknowledge that Uncle Ben had still been there, maybe say, "Your Uncle Ben always used to say, 'with great power...'", because I always thought it was weird how this version of Spider-Man never really mentioned Ben at all, and while Peter does now feel guilty about her death, it's not the same as how the Ben death usually affects Peter because that was his fault for selfish reasons, making him learn that he needs to be more responsible. Also I couldn't get over the possibility that they killed Aunt May because that was a well done moment in the PS4 game, and they copied that since they're already pretty much copying Into the Spider-Verse with the multiple Spideys. 

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My wife and I watched it last week at home. It was good, but I wouldn't say great. If you remove the nostalgia parts (which were fun), it's not that strong of a movie. Holland is a good Spider-Man, but man, Garfield was the star of the movie, imo.

Agreed it was fun and I loved the nostalgia aspect, but it definitely wasn't the best Spidey movie we've seen.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

My wife and I watched it last week at home. It was good, but I wouldn't say great. If you remove the nostalgia parts (which were fun), it's not that strong of a movie. Holland is a good Spider-Man, but man, Garfield was the star of the movie, imo.

I haven't seen the Garfield movies but I remember that his casting seemed to be the one thing everyone agreed was good.

One other thing

Spoiler

I liked the Matt Murdock cameo, even if unfortunately I had it spoiled that it was in the movie somewhere. Nice to see him again, even if this might be a different version of the character. 

Although, it did seem like they swept the whole "Spider-Man killed Mysterio" thing under the rug with the whole, "oh it won't hold up in court". Would have expected a bit more ramifications for that.

I did like how they pretty much did One More Day, but good since Peter did have to sacrifice things in the end, and it wasn't just a get out of jail free card/deus ex machina.