Dead Space Remake (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - Information Thread, update: EA sending surveys to gauge interest in remakes of Dead Space 2 and 3

Brian

I think it looks as good as a dark metal hallway is gonna look.

I'll be honest though, unless they change some of the gameplay elements, I'm good with having played through the original. I liked it, but the predictable "grab object X, lockdown, kill onslaught of monsters" and "pushed X button/lever, lockdown, kill onslaught of monsters" got old pretty damn quick. Don't even get me started on the end where you have to move the marker and stop every ten steps. That shit almost broke me.

27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Just out of curiosity, would you mind elaborating on this if you don't mind?

Do you mean what I don't like about it? 

1. I worry with a ship being fully open to explore it will be needlessly big. I predict the game will have new shitty side quests that I could ignore, but I won't because I literally can't just not do a side quest. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some degree of constantly respawning enemies. Clearing out a zone for good feels good. 

2. I like the level/chapter based design. I am tried of games going open world for no damn reason. I like not being able to go back, because it makes going back to the start of the game special when you finally loop back around. Dead Space did that. 

Like, I really am just tired of everything having to be bigger and some kind of open world. I fuckin' love levels. I miss levels. I feel like haven't played a game with levels in years. Yeah, I know indie games have them but I don't give two fucks about some pixel side scrolling nonsense. I like not having to explore entire worlds. I like the feeling of progression that comes with advancing to the next stage of a video game. IIRC, there was one upgrade item I had no idea how to get in Dead Space and I ended up advancing to the next chapter without. Maybe it sucks to miss it, but you can bet I got it on my second playthru. 

I'm not saying open world games are bad, but I'm tired of games I like suddenly going open world. It is almost never for the better IMO. It does kill interest. It is one of the reasons I'll never replay Elden Ring. 

And you know, maybe it won't be that bad in the Dead Space Remake. I have no real way of knowing at this point. I mean, it can't really be open world, it is a space ship. But boy do I hate hearing how another game I really liked is going to be more open.  

• Halal 2

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Do you mean what I don't like about it? 

1. I worry with a ship being fully open to explore it will be needlessly big. I predict the game will have new shitty side quests that I could ignore, but I won't because I literally can't just not do a side quest. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some degree of constantly respawning enemies. Clearing out a zone for good feels good. 

2. I like the level/chapter based design. I am tried of games going open world for no damn reason. I like not being able to go back, because it makes going back to the start of the game special when you finally loop back around. Dead Space did that. 

Like, I really am just tired of everything having to be bigger and some kind of open world. I fuckin' love levels. I miss levels. I feel like haven't played a game with levels in years. Yeah, I know indie games have them but I don't give two fucks about some pixel side scrolling nonsense. I like not having to explore entire worlds. I like the feeling of progression that comes with advancing to the next stage of a video game. IIRC, there was one upgrade item I had no idea how to get in Dead Space and I ended up advancing to the next chapter without. Maybe it sucks to miss it, but you can bet I got it on my second playthru. 

I'm not saying open world games are bad, but I'm tired of games I like suddenly going open world. It is almost never for the better IMO. It does kill interest. It is one of the reasons I'll never replay Elden Ring. 

And you know, maybe it won't be that bad in the Dead Space Remake. I have no real way of knowing at this point. I mean, it can't really be open world, it is a space ship. But boy do I hate hearing how another game I really liked is going to be more open.  

Gotcha - this is exactly what I was looking for!

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Like, I really am just tired of everything having to be bigger and some kind of open world. I fuckin' love levels. I miss levels. I feel like haven't played a game with levels in years. Yeah, I know indie games have them but I don't give two fucks about some pixel side scrolling nonsense. I like not having to explore entire worlds. I like the feeling of progression that comes with advancing to the next stage of a video game. 

This is spot on for me.

At this point, I just treat "open world" as code for a general lack of game design talent, because it's almost always a copy/paste exercise designed to interminably draw out limited mechanics.  BotW is the notable exception because the entire game is designed to make the act of exploring intrinsically rewarding, instead of relying on a game loop of unlocking or acquiring specific items or skills ad nauseam.

All of that to say, yes, levels are better and I miss them too.  The saturation of bloated open world games is another indicator of how rotted and depressing modern gaming is in general.

I'm not really worried about the mention of the the Ishimura being "open" or explorable.  To me, this seems to be part of the idea of wanting everything in the game to be seamless.  I haven't seen any indication that the game will require you to backtrack or explore in a way that the first game did not, just that it's possible to do so because the entire ship is in effect one cohesive structure.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like this is probably hollow marketing more than anything else.  This is one of the only games I'm looking forward to in the near future, but the $70 price tag stings.  I have yet to spend that much on a single game and it just doesn't compute for me. 

I also don't think this is as unnecessary of a remake as some are making it out to be.  I feel like this game is perfect remake material - it was very interesting when it came out, but also pretty flawed in several ways.  The sequel improved in most areas except notably the atmosphere and environment, which was a huge draw.  If something is going to be remade, I think the optimal candidate is a flawed original like Dead Space over something like The Last of Us, which was already exceptional the first time around.

• True 1

ozpY8nves82e5ZWbrRx7Z4-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It doesn't look like the decision is part of a bigger change of strategy at EA, though.

When EA started putting games on Steam again in 2019, I immediately forgot my Origin password as an act of rejoicement. That may have been premature, because the era of many PC gaming clients was not coming to an end: EA did stop cloistering its PC games on the Origin store, but the Steam versions still launched the Origin client when you started them.

That hasn't been true for every new EA-published game on Steam, though. I was surprised to find that F1 2021 doesn't require Origin, for instance. Another exception will be the Steam version of the Dead Space remake(opens in new tab), which releases in January.

"Dead Space is native on Steam," said an EA rep when reached for comment.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dead Space Remake (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC) update: PC version will be "native" to Steam, no Origin (or EA App?) log-in required

I didn't know where to put this, but John Carpenter is an avid gamer (a 74-year old avid gamer?! I knew he liked games for a long time but didn't know he kept up with it) and loves the Dead Space franchise, even the more action-oriented, co-op and divisive Dead Space 3 (which my brother and I loved playing together, underrated game). Carpenter no longer directs films (not since 2010's The Ward) but imagine if they got him to do this. At least get him to do the music!

l-intro-1665586266.jpg
WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

The legendary filmmaker probably won't direct again, but we can dream.

6cdc8b25fb75b2ffe6291d0bdc831663.jpg
WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Carpenter—an avid gamer, when he's not serving as a composer and executive producer on the new Halloween films—reveals the games he loves now

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I am aware of her but it's much more surprising that someone old, rich, famous, and incredibly talented plays even modern games. I'm less surprised by random old people being into games. 

Feels the opposite for me. I'd be surprised if a random old person was playing a video game. :p

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I didn't know where to put this, but John Carpenter is an avid gamer (a 74-year old avid gamer?! I knew he liked games for a long time but didn't know he kept up with it) and loves the Dead Space franchise, even the more action-oriented, co-op and divisive Dead Space 3 (which my brother and I loved playing together, underrated game). Carpenter no longer directs films (not since 2010's The Ward) but imagine if they got him to do this. At least get him to do the music!

l-intro-1665586266.jpg
WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

The legendary filmmaker probably won't direct again, but we can dream.

6cdc8b25fb75b2ffe6291d0bdc831663.jpg
WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Carpenter—an avid gamer, when he's not serving as a composer and executive producer on the new Halloween films—reveals the games he loves now

One of my favorite filmmakers gaming in his 70's... gives me hope.

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dead Space Remake (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC) update: hands-on previews/gameplay walkthroughs
39cb8e9da44d172ba4d2149cbbc5e124ef6ce72f
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Isaac’s return brings new twists to exploration, enhanced zero-gravity gameplay, expanded upgrade options, and more.

New gameplay features

Isaac is fully voiced: Isaac speaks up this time around, like yelling his teammates' names when they're in trouble or explaining his plans to fix the Ishimura's Centrifuge and fuel lines. Hearing him take an active role in the team's mission makes the entire experience feel more filmlike and authentic.

Interconnected immersion: There are no loading sequences when Isaac hops aboard the Ishimura's tram to quickly travel between destinations like Cargo and the Medical areas. This is all part of Motive's goal for an immersive, connected setting.

Zero G freedom: In the original Dead Space, zero-gravity sections let Isaac leap across platforms using special boots. In the remake, you have the freedom to float in 360 degrees, lending to the spacewalk fantasy. Isaac also now has a propulsion boost, which is handy for dodging necromorphs lunging through space.

Intense new moments: During chapter 2 Isaac must obtain higher security clearance off the dead Captain's Rig. The Captain's corpse is attacked by an Infector, causing him to turn into a necromorph. In the 2008 sequence, players watch the change safely behind glass. In the remake, Isaac experiences this horrifying transformation up close and personal, harkening back to the dramatic real-time necromorph transformation at the beginning of Dead Space 2.

Circuit breakers: New junction boxes require Isaac to reroute power between different Ishimura functions. In one scenario, I needed to reroute power to a refueling station, and I could choose between cutting the lights or oxygen supply to make this happen. Situations like this allow players to pick their poison when need be – I chose to play in the dark rather than risk suffocation.

Big moments feel bigger: The vivid lighting and visual effects make dramatic moments feel even more impressive. Later in chapter 3 Isaac restarts the Ishimura's centrifuge. A combination of effects explode into action as the giant machinery kicks online – giant pieces of the machine rumble violently, sparks fly as metal grinds, the huge swinging arm casts large shadows against the orange auxiliary power lights. It's a feast for the senses and draws you in deeper to the experience.

Incentivized exploration: Locked doors and loot containers have been added to the Ishimura, which Isaac can access after acquiring upgraded security clearance. This incentivizes players to return to previously cleared areas to uncover resources and upgrade materials. One locked door even involves a new side quest revealing a bit more about Isaac's missing partner, Nicole.

Intensity director: But don't let your guard down just because you're returning to known territory. Motive keeps players on their toes with the Intensity Director, which will ratchet up suspense with creepy noises like creaking vents, surprised like bursting pipes, and unexpected necromorph attacks.

Expanded weapon upgrade paths: What good is hunting for bonus resources without a place to invest them? New weapon upgrade items can be attached to the Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, and more to add extra upgrade paths to spend nodes. It's to be determined if this incorporates new weapon mechanics, or simply additional enhancements to damage, reload speed, ammo capacity, etc.

lfC2aL7q.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Creative director Roman Campos-Oriola discusses his approach to the remake, and why gaming is seeing a horror renaissance…

In an attempt to make the series appeal to a broader audience, subsequent entries focused more on action – and later, co-op – but following 2013’s Dead Space 3, the franchise was shelved for almost a decade.

Today, it feels as though a horror game like Dead Space has more chance to resonate with a mass-market audience. Notably Capcom has seen major success with its Resident Evil remakes, which have comfortably outsold their original versions, with 2019’s Resident Evil 2 shifting nearly 10 million units – blockbuster numbers.

cJ76xBS4puHPxh6zZ8PpHF-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The video calls, kinesis puzzles, and bad mouse controls had gotten a bit hazy over 14 years.

Other problems with the original Dead Space on PC, however, don't appear to be replicated. I replayed a bit of the original after trying the remake, and the mouse acceleration is more horrifying than any necromorph. Also, the first corpse I encountered turned into a ball of infinite energy and flew around the room smacking its limbs all over the walls. I sort of miss that classic ragdoll bug, but it's not very eerie. The unfinished remake build I played had some bugs of its own—framerate dives, a certain action that turned me into a noclip ghost (they told me not to do it, so of course I did it)—but EA said those issues were accounted for, and wouldn't make it to the final release.

If that is the case, the new Dead Space will be a lot like the old one, except with modern graphics, fewer mid-2000s bugs, and a far more detailed Ishimura. There are some new puzzles and some surprise scares from the "intensity AI," but nothing that drastically alters the original sequence of events. I struggle to think of a better way to remake a recent classic like Dead Space, but I do wonder if $60 will be a hard sell for a rebuilt 2008 horror game (in this economy?). The Resident Evil 2 remake seemed to be popular, though, so maybe the time is right to bring back landmarks in the survival horror genre.

03affca0-4670-11ed-bfef-12c6ff4b0aaa
WWW.ENGADGET.COM

Dead Space is the granddaddy of all sci-fi horror games, and a hands-on preview of the remake proves that its core concepts are even more powerful on modern hardware.

Honestly though, today’s hardware can’t handle this version of Dead Space, at least not in its current preview form. There are no loading screens in the remake and this feature caused critical problems during my playthrough. I encountered significant and persistent framerate issues throughout the demo, particularly after walking through doorways, as background loading kicked in. My game crashed once and I voluntarily restarted it another time, after slogging through multiple scenes of stuttering animations. The framerate issues were extremely frustrating. Isaac also felt sluggish at certain points, causing me to misfire my weapons or waste time stomping on already-dead enemies. I wasn’t the only player in the room to experience these problems, though some demos seemed to run just fine from start to finish. Developers at Motive made it clear they were aware of these issues and promised they'd be resolved before release day, but my preview experience was less than seamless.

Outside of the framerate frustrations, the Dead Space remake was a delicious slice of old-school video game terror. The necromorphs attacked from the shadows and screamed with guttural, humanlike cries, their long blades and bloody intestines lit only by the glow of Isaac’s plasma cutter. The Dead Space rhythm of stasis, shoot, stomp still worked wonders on nearly every enemy, and headshots didn’t do much to stop the onslaught. Resource management was a crucial aspect of play and each monster took multiple hits to die, leaving infected limbs and tentacles strewn across the floor after each encounter. Some elevator rides were also conspicuously long, as was Isaac’s time on the horizontal people mover — developers told me this was all on purpose, not to cheat in extra loading time, but to give players a moment to breathe and think about the horrors ahead.

deadspace-blogroll-1665704744098.jpg?wid
WWW.IGN.COM

IGN goes hands on with the upcoming full remake of Dead Space and finds there's more depth added in the fine lines of an already amazing game.

Rather than thinking of these additions as game-changing, the remake’s new features make an already great game even better. The Peeling System, for example, as Motive calls it, adds layers upon layers to the Necromorphs, giving each horrifying monster additional flesh, tendons, and bones to hack through. The ability to dismember your enemies is still satisfying, but the added gore only makes the experience that much more (it seems appropriate to use here) visceral.

The Peeling System is also an apt metaphor for the remake itself, which is focused on increasing the depth of an experience that fans already know and love. All this is to say if you remember Dead Space looking good, it now looks even better – and if you remember Dead Space sounding good, it sounds even better.

Dead Space sits in the middle ground of recent remakes in more ways than one. It’s not as old as Resident Evil 2 or 3, but not quite as recent as The Last of Us.

I still believe the gold standard for game remakes is Capcom’s revival of Resident Evil 2, which essentially created a new game from the foundations of some old but very good ideas, while The Last of Us Part 1 offers a chance to play the best version of an already good game – but Dead Space provides something in between.

There’s enough new in here that will make the first Dead Space obsolete, but not enough for me to think this will be a wholly new experience. Instead, there’s depth where there wasn’t before, and layers upon deliciously sick layers of extra detail to enjoy. These additions don’t exactly breathe new life into Dead Space as much as they give fans, new and old alike, something new and meaty to bite into.

4049159-deadspace_preview_06_chapter3.00
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

The core of Dead Space's identity is retained in this remake, but developer Motive Studio has transformed the game's story and visuals for the better.

So far, I really like what Motive Studio has done regarding story changes to Dead Space, bringing it more in line with the overall series in a way the original game simply couldn't because it was what kicked off the franchise in the first place. "The changes or adjustments we made to the story and all the lore of the original game were us trying to have more connections to not only Dead Space 2, but the whole franchise. I cannot give you too many examples because it could be a spoiler, but we've tried to add more connections to Dead Space 2 and also to other pieces in the world of the Dead Space universe--the books and [animated movies]. We have some Easter eggs or raw elements that acknowledge the existence of what came before [Dead Space 1's story] and all foreshadow what would come after."

"We're going to have some fun, little surprises for the players, especially the ones that know about the lore, so I encourage them to keep their eyes peeled and look around the environment for some fun stuff," art director Mike Yazijian added.

The Dead Space remake makes a lot of other smart quality-of-life improvements too. For instance, power node-locked doors are gone, meaning you no longer have to use a rare power node to unlock a door and sacrifice a chance to upgrade Isaac's weapons or armor. Instead, certain doors in the environment now have gated clearance access, which Isaac earns throughout the game--unlocking these doors is a reward for progressing in the story, not scouring for an item.

Additionally, the remake has added new complexity to puzzles that rely on using power sources. In some cases, when Isaac inserts a power cell into a waiting slot, he can now mess with a nearby circuit breaker to redirect where that power goes. So maybe you need to use a power cell to open a door, but doing so will take away energy from the room's lights, plunging you into darkness. This adds a surprising amount of replay value to certain sections of the game. For example, there is now a moment in Dead Space where to progress, you have to take away power from either the lights or life support. I chose the former, and thus had to slowly wade through a giant room in the dark, with necromorphs slowly surrounding me. My coworker, senior video producer Jean-Luc Seipke, picked the latter and instead of slowly making his way through the space, he had to dash through it as Isaac's oxygen slowly depleted.

uBDaNbBkxM7ru4FyFEUKXW-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

EA's reimagining recaptures what made the original an essential horror experience

While I only played the first three chapters, I was impressed with how well the remake keeps this unending horror alive, for want of a better word. The constant, pressing dread of bad things happening should just wear you down after a while – and at this point I've no idea how the pacing will space out over the entire game – but what I've played managed to somehow sustain itself without overstaying its welcome. That tick list of priorities presses in on all sides: the engines need fuel and restarting, there's a centrifuge to repair and get spinning, an asteroid defence system to reactivate, and so on. There's no time to catch your breath, and the fact that alien corpse monsters are never quite at the top of your list of problems is almost impressive. Where horror is usually about balancing big scares with quiet patches to let you sweat, this just keeps you busy enough to somehow put the flesh monsters on the backburner with a note that says 'problems for tomorrow me'. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dead Space Remake (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC) update: 40 minutes of 4K/60FPS gameplay footage
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dead Space Remake (PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC) update: First 18 Minutes of Gameplay (IGN)
20 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I flip-flop so hard on this for some weird reason. A page back I'm like fuck yeah, Day 1, then I watch this video and my reaction is pretty meh. I want a faithful remake, absolutely and I certainly don't want cuts but I think it's the nearly 1:1 nature of what they've shown that feels a bit like how lame I thought TLoU's remake was. Dead Space is definitely great but much like TloU1, I think it could be vastly improved in terms of encounter design and some other aspects. I think I conveniently forget stuff like "every five minutes a Necro pops out of a vent and goes BRAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" when the rose-colored glasses come on because I kept wondering if they couldn't have found a way to just update some of this a little and still keep it in spirit. 

Definitely an entitled gamer type of moment where it seems like I don't know what I actually want but have shit to say. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloodporne said:

I flip-flop so hard on this for some weird reason. A page back I'm like fuck yeah, Day 1, then I watch this video and my reaction is pretty meh. I want a faithful remake, absolutely and I certainly don't want cuts but I think it's the nearly 1:1 nature of what they've shown that feels a bit like how lame I thought TLoU's remake was. Dead Space is definitely great but much like TloU1, I think it could be vastly improved in terms of encounter design and some other aspects. I think I conveniently forget stuff like "every five minutes a Necro pops out of a vent and goes BRAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" when the rose-colored glasses come on because I kept wondering if they couldn't have found a way to just update some of this a little and still keep it in spirit. 

Definitely an entitled gamer type of moment where it seems like I don't know what I actually want but have shit to say. 

Well said.  I'm excited about this because I think Dead Space is pretty good remake material.  But this looks identical, moment-to-moment, to the original.  I would love for developers to have more of a creative license to do whatever they want with the property rather than just keeping the original intact.  This doesn't really look like anything but a new coat of paint.  But, there were some supposedly interesting changes made structurally from what I can tell, so I'll reserve judgement until it's out.

28 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Well said.  I'm excited about this because I think Dead Space is pretty good remake material.  But this looks identical, moment-to-moment, to the original.  I would love for developers to have more of a creative license to do whatever they want with the property rather than just keeping the original intact.  This doesn't really look like anything but a new coat of paint.  But, there were some supposedly interesting changes made structurally from what I can tell, so I'll reserve judgement until it's out.

This just makes me think of TLoU remake because I haven't seen anything new in their footage yet despite them talking about having added areas and so on. I'm weary of that because TLoU sure took a lot of fucking liberty with their phrasing pre-release. "Expanded exploration!" somehow meant 1:1 remake with some bullshit trinket somewhere, you knew what you implied there, marketing team. 

I think I still have Callisto Protocol disappointment hangover and bitching at Dead Space for it. 

So which is it guys, is it "open world" (the Ishimura is nowhere near large enough to ever qualify as an "open world" even if you could run across it from start to finish, come on) or is it a 1:1 remake?

I don't want a 1:1 remake because the original game has aged marvelously. I just played through the entire trilogy. I'm looking for more than a facelift. I'm an anti-purist. Add a bunch of cool new shit, try wild ideas, make purists shit themselves with rage.

Listing my thoughts from the 18 minutes

- Why does Nicole appear older when Isaac seems younger? 

- Old level 1 suit has a far cooler helmet. 

- Isaac seems tall as fuck now and walks like a chad.

- This really looks like Dead Space.

- It is weird that Isaac is the only one in a helmet, again.

- Why is the game so much darker, I can't see shit. You know, the DeS remake is really dark as well...

- If they are giving Isaac a personality it was super weird that he has no reaction to watching that guy get gutted.

- Isaac's new weapon holding stance is weird and not chad like.

- I miss the suit tutorials.

Game looked really good graphically but I'm not a fan of the extreme darkness. Pretty sure the first game had working lights in a lot of places. And unlike Xbob, all I want from remakes are super updated graphics and QoL changes. Not that Dead Space has any QoL shit to add as far as I can remember. 

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

- It is weird that Isaac  is the only one in a helmet, again.

- Why is the game so much darker, I can't see shit. You know, the DeS remake is really dark as well...

I think Isaac being the only one in a helmet is fine. He's the engineer. They only came here to fix a ship. It's hard to get people to wear a fuckin' helmet at an active construction site! I'm glad it's darker, the brightness of DS1 stuck out to me a lot as I played through them all last month. It was like unnaturally bright, weird for a horror game. Using your flashlight more is better for the spooky atmosphere.

No real opinion on the rest so far. I'm just hoping we get some fun gameplay upgrades. (I'm also trying not to watch too much of these videos as the surprise is half the fun for me.)

Glad to see it's at least performing well in the footage. Hopefully that's just natural unaltered footage, sounded a little rough back in October but I know performance is one of the last things to get cleaned up. Given how nicely Callisto now runs after the catastrophic first half-day, I can see this running even better.

It'd suck to be disappointed with two Dead Space-likes in a row, though. Please don't be shit.

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That REALLY stuck out like a sore thumb to me when I watched the video to the point where it was pretty jarring.

I forgot to roast this part because the more videogames try to be logical and "realistic", the more I notice shit like this and find it funny. TLoU2 was a total jarring-nonsense-videogame-stuff fest as well and I would never notice it in a game like The Evil Within or whatever. 

Isaac has a meltdown seeing a small blood stain and even when stomping on a box goes UUHGHHG AAAHHHH like a maniac, yet his boys get literally torn apart by The Thing monsters and he's just hanging out. 

1 minute ago, Bloodporne said:

Isaac has a meltdown seeing a small blood stain and even when stomping on a box goes UUHGHHG AAAHHHH like a maniac, yet his boys get literally torn apart by The Thing monsters and he's just hanging out. 

Isaac's secretly going "THANK GOD I hated that guy" and is super pumped because he hates all of them.

If there is one change I am hoping for, it is a change to the story. I am not a fan of how the trilogy went overall. Not much needs to change, not asking for a super happy ending or anything assuming all of Dead Space is getting remade, but the plot is something I would like to see altered. 

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

So which is it guys, is it "open world" (the Ishimura is nowhere near large enough to ever qualify as an "open world" even if you could run across it from start to finish, come on) or is it a 1:1 remake?

I don't want a 1:1 remake because the original game has aged marvelously. I just played through the entire trilogy. I'm looking for more than a facelift. I'm an anti-purist. Add a bunch of cool new shit, try wild ideas, make purists shit themselves with rage.

I said it above but I hope they don't pull that TLoU remake bullshit in terms of marketing speech and we end up with a 1:1 remake with like four added side rooms and some slightly revised layouts to rooms making up these "big changes". 

Having just replayed Resident Evil 1 Remake, seeing footage like this and TLoU Part I is even lamer. Take the original concept and run

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If there is one change I am hoping for, it is a change to the story. I am not a fan of how the trilogy went overall. Not much needs to change, not asking for a super happy ending or anything assuming all of Dead Space is getting remade, but the plot is something I would like to see altered. 

Yeah, I think the first and second game were alright, but even the second one could use a few alterations. I think 3 actually had a lot of great ideas that, once I was removed from launch disappoint and actually got to enjoy the game last month, I thought were real good. But there was also a lot that was fucking stupid. A significant portion of Dead Space 3 has a fucking love triangle at the forefront of the story. So dumb. I also think it ended weird, but I think the DLC was going in a really cool direction. But I wouldn't mind a total rewrite of all that. It got too wide, I think.

3 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

I said it above but I hope they don't pull that TLoU remake bullshit in terms of marketing speech and we end up with a 1:1 remake with like four added side rooms and some slightly revised layouts to rooms making up these "big changes". 

Having just replayed Resident Evil 1 Remake, seeing footage like this and TLoU Part I is even lamer. Take the original concept and run

You know, that also reminds me of Dead Space 3. There were these rooms you could only unlock if you played... a phone game, I think? Or something. Anyway it was never available on PC via normal means. But it was easy enough t re-add them by renaming some files. I did that, and it was literally 4 rooms, each had like a power node and a single audio log that made no sense out of context, probably why it was blocked off on PC.

Beyond that, I hope the DLCs are either incorporated into the main game or are on all platforms this time. Not having some of the DLC on PC was fucking weird since it launched at the same time as it did on consoles. But if anything needs a remake, it's those DLCs. The one for 3 had a good ending but the actual gameplay was meh, and as I understand it the DLC for 2 just straight up sucked.

I'm hoping so hard this is ambitious like Resident Evil 2 Remake. That became one of my favorite games of all time due to all the excellent and smart changes they made and the new additions. I mean, some people didn't think so, I'm subscribed to a thread on the Steam forums for some reason where geriatrics are complaining that the original game was better, including the gameplay. Those poor, sick bastards.

• Halal 1