Dead Space Remake (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - Information Thread, update: EA sending surveys to gauge interest in remakes of Dead Space 2 and 3

Brian

So... I remember on the PS3 version, when you aimed the Plasma Cutter at something, the three dot sights could target things individually. Like if the leftmost dot hit something close, you'd see it there, but the other 2 dots could go further. Am I making that up? I remember it being a cool effect and it seems to not exist in this one?

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

So... I remember on the PS3 version, when you aimed the Plasma Cutter at something, the three dot sights could target things individually. Like if the leftmost dot hit something close, you'd see it there, but the other 2 dots could go further. Am I making that up? I remember it being a cool effect and it seems to not exist in this one?

They changed that in Dead Space 2 and renamed the original to "Classic Aiming," or something. I think the middle-of-the-screen reticule is like a million times less cool.

tuned into a stream and game doesn't look gritty enough and there is a weird amount of fog/light the looks like glowy fog

i feel like the fog shit is a bad modern trend that even DeSR had like all of this "atmospheric" fog in the nexus that just isn't needed and it makes everything look glowy and soft

of course the graphics are way better than the OG Dead Space but the atmosphere seems safer than before

26 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

They changed that in Dead Space 2 and renamed the original to "Classic Aiming," or something. I think the middle-of-the-screen reticule is like a million times less cool.

Ah yeah, I remember that now that you said it. Maybe they'll add it or someone will mod it in, it's so much neater than this one.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Also this game is a SHOW off for oled tvs. Looks so damn clean with those inky blacks. Calisto had raised blacks and honestly a lot of stuff does like RE2make did also. Here the tone is great and would probably make a good show off at best buy or something.

FUCK YEA!

I'm gonna piss off the neighbors tonight. 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos home theater on my 83" LGC1 turned up way up up up up. Really glad I'm gonna be getting in some Xbox game time too I really am. I need to damned near push myself to play these new consoles! My 2080ti / I7 9700k & Steam deck have been all I need letely easily. I just updated Dead Space so it's ready to go and staring at me on the homepage is Elden Ring & Dying Light 2 reminding me that i'm seriously behind the ball. Don't get me started on the PS5 games I have yet to play, I own every damned one of the "BIG" titles minus the New GOW. Really am excited to play DS tonight though and I haven't felt actual excitement towards a Game in a Looong time!

Bring on:

1. Resident Evil 4: Remake

2: Diablo 4

........and I'll honestly be good for a very long while.!

• Halal 2

So security clearance in this game is new? I don't remember it. Problem is you don't get certain clearance to lockers and stuff till later in the game.

Does the map here mark rooms that items still exist? 

How am I going to remember where to backtrack to?

And while asking this I might as well ask something else. Since this game wants you to go back to previous levels do enemies respawn?

15 minutes ago, HardAct said:

FUCK YEA!

I'm gonna piss off the neighbors tonight. 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos home theater on my 83" LGC1 turned up way up up up up. Really glad I'm gonna be getting in some Xbox game time too I really am. I need to damned near push myself to play these new consoles! My 2080ti / I7 9700k & Steam deck have been all I need letely easily. I just updated Dead Space so it's ready to go and staring at me on the homepage is Elden Ring & Dying Light 2 reminding me that i'm seriously behind the ball. Don't get me started on the PS5 games I have yet to play, I own every damned one of the "BIG" titles minus the New GOW. Really am excited to play DS tonight though and I haven't felt actual excitement towards a Game in a Looong time!

Bring on:

1. Resident Evil 4: Remake

2: Diablo 4

........and I'll honestly be good for a very long while.!

Yeah I think it’s a good one to sit down with and indulge in your set up.

10 minutes ago, Hand76 said:

So security clearance in this game is new? I don't remember it. Problem is you don't get certain clearance to lockers and stuff till later in the game.

Does the map here mark rooms that items still exist? 

How am I going to remember where to backtrack to?

And while asking this I might as well ask something else. Since this game wants you to go back to previous levels do enemies respawn?

From what I'm seeing the map shows rooms with security clearance levels, lockers do not show up on the map. That's sucks.

Btw using the map sucks ass. Having to use the arrow keys. What year is this?

Alright, was having some minor performance issues, including a texture problem identical to what I saw in Forspoken the other day, so I knew something had to be up. Turns out, I hadn't updated my motherboard's BIOS in quite a while, and there were several critical updates. I was even getting audio hitches. After the update, all cleared up. Performance is dramatically improved, audio hitches are gone, no wonky textures. Still felt a liiiittle off, so I changed it from DLSS Balanced to Performance and THERE was the responsive Dead Space I know and love.  Game still looks fantastic on performance mode too! Love that you see graphic changes in real-time so you can judge the performance and the quality impact all at once.

Anyway, glad I got that BIOS thing figured out, I think it's been causing minor issues in other games as well.

Only issue left is that tiny hitch you get when loading a new area. It's so minor but I'd love to get rid of it. It's barely even a stutter but it's preventing a flawless presentation.

Just did all this so I can play later tonight without worrying about setting things up. Who releases a horror game in the morning?!

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

I updated my bios as well after reading that idea and since it’s been awhile and it turns out I didn’t even have the one that added win11 support even though I’m on that. And it did seem to be back to mostly 120fps for me. 

But then as I noticed one area which seemed to hit me down to the 90s in certain directions, I started tinkering and noticed that it takes like 10 seconds or so for the frame rate to stabilize after changing settings. So what I think actually happened if I’m being honest, is the game never had any decrease in performance but since the frame rate always seems bad right after changing settings I was rushing back and forth into the settings before I could ever seen it running normally. So I sorta trapped myself in a loop of worse performance due to one area going down to the 90s for a couple seconds.

And that is why sometimes frame counters are bad for me.

7 hours ago, stepee said:

I updated my bios as well after reading that idea and since it’s been awhile and it turns out I didn’t even have the one that added win11 support even though I’m on that. And it did seem to be back to mostly 120fps for me. 

But then as I noticed one area which seemed to hit me down to the 90s in certain directions, I started tinkering and noticed that it takes like 10 seconds or so for the frame rate to stabilize after changing settings. So what I think actually happened if I’m being honest, is the game never had any decrease in performance but since the frame rate always seems bad right after changing settings I was rushing back and forth into the settings before I could ever seen it running normally. So I sorta trapped myself in a loop of worse performance due to one area going down to the 90s for a couple seconds.

And that is why sometimes frame counters are bad for me.

Haha, I should've mentioned I noticed it did that in the first 5 minutes, because after I toggled RTAO off, my FPS dropped to like 40 from 100. Then I toggled one setting back and forth really quick and got it to drop and stay at like 20. But yeah it went back up to normal shortly after.

Playsd 2 hours this morning. It's really well done and very immersive. The visuals kinda took me by surprised this morning because it looked "blurry" when I initially looked at it but it still looks pretty damn nice. I like the controls and combat. I kinda got stuck so I stopped but it's very cool. I don't remember a fuckin thing from my initial playthrough so that's good. I'm happy with it. 

@HardAct I hope you got quality time in with it last night. The sound and visuals should have impressed you with your setup!

Playing this now after Calisto Protocol and it really hits how CP was such a different game I think mostly just because it failed at being the game it was trying to be. I’ll give more credit to the team if they were trying to make a straight forward gruesome brawler with a similar tone to Dead Space but if they were actually trying to make a spiritual successor to it my goodness were they off the mark.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

im so mad that you brought this up btw.

22 hours ago, stepee said:

Playing this now after Calisto Protocol and it really hits how CP was such a different game I think mostly just because it failed at being the game it was trying to be. I’ll give more credit to the team if they were trying to make a straight forward gruesome brawler with a similar tone to Dead Space but if they were actually trying to make a spiritual successor to it my goodness were they off the mark.

i managed to NOT buy Callisto Protcol even though Dead Space is one of my favorite games EVER! Knowing this remake was coming so soon helped. I for some reason have zero want to even play it.

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

5 hours in, I'm really enjoying this. Really well done in every category and I'll admit, it can be a bit creepy. Awesome game.

Played it for two hours friday night and managed pull myself away because of a almost 4 hour drive saturday morning at 5am for my Grandsons 3rd Birthday party. After that and the drive back, we arrived back home at 7pm jumped right back into Dead Space for another 3 hours and it was/is just fantastic. Can't wait to do another 3hrs tonight!

12 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Played it for two hours friday night and managed pull myself away because of a almost 4 hour drive saturday morning at 5am for my Grandsons 3rd Birthday party. After that and the drive back, we arrived back home at 7pm jumped right back into Dead Space for another 3 hours and it was/is just fantastic. Can't wait to do another 3hrs tonight!

Yea, I read you had quite the trip yesterday but I'm happy you are getting quality time in and are enjoying it. It's a fantastic game!

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

The streams I have watched looked good but no way I could play that game by myself lol. Creepy af

Yea, it's awesome but even for me it can be a bit creepy. 

Yeah this is still a legit scary game. Another way which it differs from Calisto Protocol which feels more like an action movie than anything scary, the cheap jump scares there don’t even do anything because it’s too expected when you enter a room.

The raised blacks in that game don’t help either. Just now did a part here in Dead Space where you have to choose to turn off the light to put the power elsewhere and it makes you really wish you didn’t have to. In Calisto Protocol it wouldn’t matter because you could see fine anyway. 

Also another thing that game screwed up are the data logs which you have to go into a menu and sit there and play them instead of them playing as you move around like here.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:03 AM, best3444 said:

Yea, I read you had quite the trip yesterday but I'm happy you are getting quality time in and are enjoying it. It's a fantastic game!

Yea, it's awesome but even for me it can be a bit creepy. 

Wasn't complaining just it is what it is. As it was I still stayed up to late friday night before the trip. I do ALL night driving so when the sun came up I slept till we got there...lol Driving/riding long trips just wipes me out though. So I didn't even play last night, I waited till it was really dark and then just didn't feel like it. Gonna try again tonight. Only 5 hours in so far.

• Like 1

So, I replayed the og about a tear ago. I enjoyed it, but it was definitely showing its age. This is absolutely incredible. Dead Space is my favourite horror franchise, and they managed to keep the tension up constantly. Very impressed so far. Especially alone in the dark with a 3d surround headset.

• Halal 1