Over 100 Republicans, including former officials, threaten to split from G.O.P.

11new-washington-briefing-newparty3-vide
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Miles Taylor, a former Trump-era Homeland Security official who anonymously wrote a book condemning the Trump administration, is an organizer of the effort.

The statement is expected to take aim at former President Donald J. Trump’s stranglehold on Republicans, which signatories to the document have deemed unconscionable.

The effort comes as House Republican leaders are expected on Wednesday to oust Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming from their ranks because of her outspoken criticism of Mr. Trump’s election lies.

The list of people signing the statement includes former officials at both the state and national level who once were governors, members of Congress, ambassadors, cabinet secretaries, state legislators and Republican Party chairmen, Mr. Taylor said.

Mr. Taylor declined to name the signers. Reuters reported earlier that the former governors Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania and Christine Todd Whitman of New Jersey will sign it, as will former Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters and former Representatives Charlie Dent of Pennsylvania, Barbara Comstock of Virginia, Reid Ribble of Wisconsin and Mickey Edwards of Oklahoma.

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I read everything in OP!

These 100 Republicans will only pull 100 republican votes. It's Trump's ride they just need to come to terms with that

Many of these people don’t have votes to be lost.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean they're only moving their own votes. No one, and I mean no one, knows or cares what Tom Ridge or Mickey Edwards thinks about the republican party

You know, there used to be a time when Democrats who lost were quickly discarded but Republicans stuck around.

But I’ve noticed over the past 8ish years a complete turnaround. The number of Republicans who used to have enormous power yet feel so insignificant now is staggering.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean they're only moving their own votes. No one, and I mean no one, knows or cares what Tom Ridge or Mickey Edwards thinks about the republican party

I think I misread your initial post while trying desperately hard to be funny. I need a coffee.

I would have left the party the second Donald Trump was the nominee. Anyone who stayed is a piece of shit. Fuck em all.

Anyone who would belong to a party with Trump at the top is not someone who can be taken seriously ever again for the rest of their lives. All of these people are monsters and fuck em all. Today, tomorrow and forever.

2 hours ago, ort said:

I would have left the party the second Donald Trump was the nominee. Anyone who stayed is a piece of shit. Fuck em all.

Anyone who would belong to a party with Trump at the top is not someone who can be taken seriously ever again for the rest of their lives. All of these people are monsters and fuck em all. Today, tomorrow and forever.

I would have left in the 2000s, maybe earlier.