The Tomorrow War Starring Chris Pratt Teaser

The world is stunned when a group of time travelers arrive from the year 2051 to deliver an urgent message: Thirty years in the future mankind is losing a global war against a deadly alien species. The only hope for survival is for soldiers and civilians from the present to be transported to the future and join the fight. Among those recruited is high school teacher and family man Dan Forester (Chris Pratt). Determined to save the world for his young daughter, Dan teams up with a brilliant scientist (Yvonne Strahovski) and his estranged father (J.K. Simmons) in a desperate quest to rewrite the fate of the planet

Regardless of the quality of the film, that was a terrible teaser trailer. That felt like one of those "trailers for the teaser trailer" type of things. Awful.

The film itself however, we'll see. Written by the guy who wrote Deadfall (not a good sign) but directed by the guy who directed The Lego Batman Movie (which was awesome) means this could go either way. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Regardless of the quality of the film, that was a terrible teaser trailer. That felt like one of those "trailers for the teaser trailer" type of things. Awful.

It’s a teaser for the trailer tomorrow

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The film itself however, we'll see. Written by the guy who wrote Deadfall (not a good sign) but directed by the guy who directed The Lego Batman Movie (which was awesome) means this could go either way. 

Agreed, that was absolutely abhorrent. Not a great first impression.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the full trailer has dropped. Very "Edge of Tomorrow" vibes. Some of the dialogue sounded fun and some of the direction looks pretty cool but the trailer also felt very generic sci-fi too. This could still go either way for me. Mediocre writer, great director. We'll see.

The only things Chris Pratt is good in are Parks & Recreation, the Pixar movie Onward, The Lego Movies, and playing Star Lord in the MCU. I like and enjoy Chris Pratt and find him funny but he's never really stretched himself as an actor. All the roles I just mentioned are his best starring roles and he's essentially the same in all of them. Two are voice roles. 

The Jurassic World movies are awful but Chris Pratt is unintentionally (or intentionally? I can't honestly tell sometimes) hilarious in the first one. The second one tries, which makes it just bad. The first is so bad it's good. 

On 5/28/2021 at 12:29 AM, Greatoneshere said:

The only things Chris Pratt is good in are Parks & Recreation, the Pixar movie Onward, The Lego Movies, and playing Star Lord in the MCU. I like and enjoy Chris Pratt and find him funny but he's never really stretched himself as an actor. All the roles I just mentioned are his best starring roles and he's essentially the same in all of them. Two are voice roles. 

The Jurassic World movies are awful but Chris Pratt is unintentionally (or intentionally? I can't honestly tell sometimes) hilarious in the first one. The second one tries, which makes it just bad. The first is so bad it's good. 

LOL “the only good things Chris Pratt are in...” Then proceeds to list almost a majority of the things he’s starred in. 

Passengers isn’t great but it’s also not terrible. 

Magnificent 7 was fun if unremarkable 

Jurassic World is pretty good it just gets dragged down by nit picking idiots on the internet. 

Fallen Kingdom straight up isn’t good. But on the other hand, Jurassic Park movies are like Pizza. Even bad ones are still fun. 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

LOL “the only good things Chris Pratt are in...” Then proceeds to list almost a majority of the things he’s starred in. 

Passengers isn’t great but it’s also not terrible. 

Magnificent 7 was fun if unremarkable 

Jurassic World is pretty good it just gets dragged down by nit picking idiots on the internet. 

Fallen Kingdom straight up isn’t good. But on the other hand, Jurassic Park movies are like Pizza. Even bad ones are still fun. 

Yeah but in terms of Chris Pratt acting range, he's still pretty much the same amongst all of those films. When it works it works, but he's still always playing basically the same version or variation of his Parks & Recreation character.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah but in terms of Chris Pratt acting range, he's still pretty much the same amongst all of those films. When it works it works, but he's still always playing basically the same version or variation of his Parks & Recreation character.

He's a national treasure!

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like big dumb summer blockbuster fun with just a huge fucking plot hole out in the open. So if they die in the future after being pulled from the past. How the fuck do they even have a human army to fight because they would of Marty McFly their family out of existing. 

51 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Looks like big dumb summer blockbuster fun with just a huge fucking plot hole out in the open. So if they die in the future after being pulled from the past. How the fuck do they even have a human army to fight because they would of Marty McFly their family out of existing. 

Time travel plots in movies are always ouroboral. Don't think about it too much.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched this last night. It’s fine. It looks pretty good and it’s acted earnestly but it is everything you’d anticipate it to be. Everyone you’d expect to be cannon fodder is, everyone you’d expect to have plot armor does, and everything you’d guess about how it’s going to go is what happens. It’s perhaps a bit longer than it needs to be but it’s not too egregious in that regard.

Honestly the weirdest thing about the whole affair is a slightly more pronounced problem that the MCU has with the military and governments. Pratt’s character is a competent soldier because he served in Iraq, his father is competent because he served in Vietnam. The world governments convene to help manage the future threat. But the government is also incompetent at managing global affairs in general, the people training the people to go to the future do a straight up terrible job of doing so. It’s not a big deal at all, just notable.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I watched this last night. It’s fine. It looks pretty good and it’s acted earnestly but it is everything you’d anticipate it to be. Everyone you’d expect to be cannon fodder is, everyone you’d expect to have plot armor does, and everything you’d guess about how it’s going to go is what happens. It’s perhaps a bit longer than it needs to be but it’s not too egregious in that regard.

Honestly the weirdest thing about the whole affair is a slightly more pronounced problem that the MCU has with the military and governments. Pratt’s character is a competent soldier because he served in Iraq, his father is competent because he served in Vietnam. The world governments convene to help manage the future threat. But the government is also incompetent at managing global affairs in general, the people training the people to go to the future do a straight up terrible job of doing so. It’s not a big deal at all, just notable.

yeah wasn't horrible tho

Spoiler

fist fighting the queen at the end had me rolling my eyes

There are a few interesting ideas, I think the actors do a reasonable job with what they're given, and the action is exciting enough, but this is a really really really dumb movie.

Spoiler

The entire premise just doesn't make sense. Why bother sending people to the future where the war is lost instead of spending all possible resources readying for the fight?

Even if you can get over that and convince me it's a reasonable idea to send people to the future, it still doesn't make sense. In a future where all trained armies have already lost most of the earth, what is the point in sending untrained randoms into a fight? They mention that many of the armed forces aren't eligible, then later reveal that eligibility is based on who is still alive, then reveal that only 500k people are still alive. The US armed forces alone have nearly two million people between active duty and reserve personnel. So even if the entire remaining population is US military, most of the current armed forces would still be eligible.

Even if they're not eligible for reasons left unstated, it still doesn't make any darn sense to send all these untrained randoms without telling them a darn thing about what they're up against.

Also, why bother sending them in with weapons that barely seem to scratch the things unless you hit their soft underbelly? We see later that vehicle mounted .50 cal guns seem to tear through the things. Maybe there's some limit to the equipment you can send people over with, but I kept watching everyone shooting at the monsters and not doing any damage wondering why we bothered to send them over with those guns in the first place.

Then you have the whole ending, which really should have been over as soon as they got back from the future. It makes zero sense to go in with a personal team of a few guys and nearly unleash the apocalypse when you have a really good idea of how long it'll take before anything happens. Sure the Sec Def (or whoever) turned you down, but maybe try a bit harder or talk to another government or anything. The whole bit about governments only talking and taking no action sure seemed odd in a movie where we'd seen all the governments of the world instantly coalesce around the stupidest plan imaginable.

I have no clue why I bothered to type all that out. It's just a big dumb movie. It probably isn't any worse than any number of others.

Still, if anyone was hoping this was another Edge of Tomorrow, it's really not.