The Tomorrow War Starring Chris Pratt Teaser

the-tomorrow-war-e1625767320942.jpg?w=10
DEADLINE.COM

EXCLUSIVE:  In response to this past weekend’s hugely successful global streaming debut of The Tomorrow War, Skydance and Amazon Studios are in discussions, I hear, on the development of a sequel t…

19 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I haven't seen this, but how bad is the story in comparison to Looper, which I consider the dumbest time travel movie of all time?

I've only watched the first half of this so far..  I thought Looper was decent.

This one is much, much dumber.

Looper is so well made on every level the fact that it's premise is thin is the dumbest thing to focus on with that film. The too long third act on the farm is probably the best criticism of that film I can come up with. To wit:

To add my two cents... this is an okay turn your brain off kind of movie.  But it is really poorly done in several areas.  The effects at times are laughably bad.  The dialog is often corny.  The direction and the editing are poor.  This seems almost like a cheap made for TV movie except with big time expensive actors.  

1 hour ago, number305 said:

To add my two cents... this is an okay turn your brain off kind of movie.  But it is really poorly done in several areas.  The effects at times are laughably bad.  The dialog is often corny.  The direction and the editing are poor.  This seems almost like a cheap made for TV movie except with big time expensive actors.  

This is a good call. It’s basically… what if someone made a Lifetime movie for men and had Amazon money while doing it?

Watched last night. It's a fun popcorn action movie, nothing more. Don't expect much and it's a fun ride. If you like Chris Pratt you'll enjoy I think.

Not nearly as smart as Looper or Edge of Tomorrow. Other than the basic concept of being sent to the future, there is really no ah-ha or brain teaser. It's a very straightforward plot. 

On 7/8/2021 at 9:06 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Looper is so well made on every level the fact that it's premise is thin is the dumbest thing to focus on with that film. The too long third act on the farm is probably the best criticism of that film I can come up with. To wit:

I am generally able to suspend my disbelief during a movie and I try not to actively nitpick or find plotholes.  But if stuff is too glaringly obvious while I'm watching the movie, and isn't the result of thinking about it or dissecting it later, then I consider it a problem with the film.  My issue with Looper wasn't the "drop them into the ocean or a furnace" thing.  But from pretty early on, I kept thinking to myself, "why send people back to themselves if there are other loopers".  It makes no sense at all.  Yes, I understand that there would be no movie if he doesn't escape, but if a plot hole hits you in the face that hard, it's pretty impossible to not ignore.

• Guillotine 2

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

My issue with Looper wasn't the "drop them into the ocean or a furnace" thing.  But from pretty early on, I kept thinking to myself, "why send people back to themselves if there are other loopers".  It makes no sense at all.  Yes, I understand that there would be no movie if he doesn't escape, but if a plot hole hits you in the face that hard, it's pretty impossible to not ignore.

Because killing yourself is a better guarantee to close the loop. If you and I are loopers and I kill your future self and you find out sometime later that I did it and kill me , it keeps the loop open.

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I am generally able to suspend my disbelief during a movie and I try not to actively nitpick or find plotholes.  But if stuff is too glaringly obvious while I'm watching the movie, and isn't the result of thinking about it or dissecting it later, then I consider it a problem with the film.  My issue with Looper wasn't the "drop them into the ocean or a furnace" thing.  But from pretty early on, I kept thinking to myself, "why send people back to themselves if there are other loopers".  It makes no sense at all.  Yes, I understand that there would be no movie if he doesn't escape, but if a plot hole hits you in the face that hard, it's pretty impossible to not ignore.

No worries, everyone's got their own red line on that stuff. But I think to even enjoy Looper you have to accept its premise, and once you do the rest of the film is quite good actually.

23 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

That’s not a “plot hole” though, that’s the actual premise.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

That’s not a “plot hole” though, that’s the actual premise.

I thought the premise is that people are sent back in time due to the difficulty of committing murder in the future, and assassins eventually must succumb to the same fate.  I think that the reason for the loopers' escape being that they are unable to kill themselves is super, duper dumb, because there is seemingly no reason that any of the other loopers couldn't finish the job.  The fact that the film's rules revolve around something so arbitrary and easily avoidable is why I didn't like it.

• 2 weeks later...