Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (03 May 2024) - Drones now kill more soldiers than artillery or bullets

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

40 minutes ago, Joe said:

Not great.

What I'm getting is there's still a LOT of death and destruction to come for the Ukrainians, but I don't see how Russia is taking control of the entire country if this is what they've been able to pull off so far with almost all of their forces deployed. Seems like Putin will consolidate some expansion around territory he already gained in 2014, and play "if I can't have it then nobody can" with the rest like the Nazis were supposed to do to Paris on the way out. 

• True 1

Here's some more Russian air defenses, abandoned, collected, and burned by Ukrainians. 

I genuinely have no idea how this has happened. These things (specifically) are supposed to be great against drones and low level air attacks. And here they are, being burned by Ukrainians. 

Truly baffling. But I'm glad it's this way. 

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

We talked about them having weapons that can be launched from afar. You think they’re just surrounding them, leaving them no where safe to run, bombard them from afar and send in the soldiers to clean up. 

That's what they did in Grozny and Aleppo and Donetsk. That's likely what they'll do here. It's siege tactics and Russia has the artillery to accomplish this. They'll chew Kharkiv, Kyiv, and Kherson to bits. Then, God forbid, they may even move west and do the same to L'viv. 

3 hours ago, Komusha said:

I never really know what to say in these kind of threads. I don't want to seem like I'm uncaring, I just have nothing to add because I'm not a foreign policy expert. The whole thing is just awful, and I pray for peace everyday.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This board would only have posts about fapping and pizza if expert opinion was required

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That’s not stopped anyone here yet 

spacer.png

I still love this place though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • True 1

The Ukrainian Navy's largest ship, its flagship the frigate Hetman Sahaidachniy has been scuttled in Mykolaiv harbor. My guess is that the Ukrainians scuttled her to prevent it from being captured by Russia, like the rest of its Navy was in 2014. 

New polling data out of Deutschland:

61% say that weapon deliveries are okay now. This was sub 30% at the beginning of February.

27% believing that giving weapons to Ukraine and the other current measures/sanctions is not enough.
90% are worried what is going to happen to the people in Ukraine.

70% are supporting sanctions even if it means having problems due to missing gas.

70% are worried that other European nations will eventually be attacked.

80% believe NATO is an important peace keeping force in Europe.

65% are okay with the 100 billion extra military budget

German post-WWII pacifism is dead and buried.

If Putin is serious about "de-Nazification", perhaps he should start at home.

The scum on the right in the picture is Dmitry Utkin, founder of the Wagner Group, a Russian mercenary organization who has been active in Central Africa, Libya, and Syria (where they got their heads handed to them by US forces).

oKCvLBZ.jpeg

Check out his tattoos:

8Cc9n1m.jpeg

• Guillotine 2

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If Putin is serious about "de-Nazification", perhaps he should start at home.

The scum on the right in the picture is Dmitry Utkin, founder of the Wagner Group, a Russian mercenary organization who has been active in Central Africa, Libya, and Syria (where they got their heads handed to them by US forces).

oKCvLBZ.jpeg

Check out his tattoos:

8Cc9n1m.jpeg

Aside from Adolf Eichmann, Reinhard Heydrich, and Joeseph Goebbels this is the most Nazi-looking motherfucker I have ever seen. 

• True 2

2 hours ago, Jason said:

What I'm getting is there's still a LOT of death and destruction to come for the Ukrainians, but I don't see how Russia is taking control of the entire country if this is what they've been able to pull off so far with almost all of their forces deployed. Seems like Putin will consolidate some expansion around territory he already gained in 2014, and play "if I can't have it then nobody can" with the rest like the Nazis were supposed to do to Paris on the way out. 

Clearly Putin isn't behaving rationally so we shouldn't expect rational objectives from him.

19 minutes ago, legend said:

Great, now Elon Musk is benefiting from Russian aggression. Can this war get any worse??

Musk got laughed out of Russia in the early 2000s when he tried to spend his newly acquired millions to buy a launch on a converted Soviet ICBM to put a small green house lander on Mars.  

13 minutes ago, legend said:

Great, now Elon Musk is benefiting from Russian aggression. Can this war get any worse??

ULA has all the engines they need for the last of the Atlas V rockets but Northrop is kind of screwed only having 2 engines in stock for Antares carrying the Cygnus ISS resupply ship. It'll either have to fly on Falcon 9 or wait for Neutron or Vulcan to be ready. 

14 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

ULA has all the engines they need for the last of the Atlas V rockets but Northrop is kind of screwed only having 2 engines in stock for Antares carrying the Cygnus ISS resupply ship. It'll either have to fly on Falcon 9 or wait for Neutron or Vulcan to be ready. 

I'm not sure Cygnus would fit in the Neutron.  Vulcan would surely work though.  Northrup Grumman's best short term solution is the Falcon 9.

44 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

For reference is it uncommon for someone of this rank to die in combat from a superpower? What's the highest ranking casualty the US has had in our recent conflicts?

A US general was killed during an "insider attack" in Afghanistan, but that's not necessarily considered combat:

640px-Harold_J._Greene.jpg
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

33 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm not sure Cygnus would fit in the Neutron.  Vulcan would surely work though.  Northrup Grumman's best short term solution is the Falcon 9.

I've seen speculation that based on the weight class and launch location there might already be a signed launch agreement, but yeah that's years off. 

I'd say this qualifies as "collateral damage" from the war:

220303153332-rt-america-file-022622.jpg?
WWW.CNN.COM

RT America will cease productions and lay off most of its staff, according to a memo from T&R Productions, the production company behind the Russian state-funded network, which CNN obtained.

RT America will cease productions and lay off most of its staff, according to a memo from T&R Productions, the production company behind the Russian state-funded network, which CNN obtained.

Misha Solodovnikov, the general manager of T&R Productions, told staff in the memo that it will be "ceasing production" at all of its locations "as a result of unforeseen business interruption events."

"Unfortunately, we anticipate this layoff will be permanent, meaning that this will result in the permanent separation from employment of most T&R employees at all locations," Solodovnikov wrote.

T&R Productions operated offices in New York, Miami, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC.

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 2