Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (14 May 2024) - Russia launches new invasion from the north into Kharkiv, soon to launch second corridor into Sumy. Situation is dire

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The REALLY hard part will be getting the Ukrainian government to define exactly what those conditions are, because they sure as hell aren't gonna be status quo ante bellum, especially if Mariupol falls and the Russians control a good chunk of the Black Sea coastline.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The REALLY hard part will be getting the Ukrainian government to define exactly what those conditions are, because they sure as hell aren't gonna be status quo ante bellum, especially if Mariupol falls and the Russians control a good chunk of the Black Sea coastline.

I just had a thought: at this point, it genuinely appears that the operations directed at Kyiv are almost "diversionary" compared to those in the south.

• True 1

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hard to have an off ramp when you don’t know what Putin wants so you can begin negotiations. I assume the west will help Ukraine come to terms in exchange for EU membership and aid. 

Even after the sanctions are lifted, I can’t imagine any foreign investment will come flooding back unless Putin is removed. 

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Hard to have an off ramp when you don’t know what Putin wants so you can begin negotiations. I assume the west will help Ukraine come to terms in exchange for EU membership and aid. 

Even after the sanctions are lifted, I can’t imagine any foreign investment will come flooding back unless Putin is removed. 

Likely we'd promise EU membership and aid then fail to approve it. 

Genuinely, what could they offer to Russia as an acceptable off-ramp at this point?  It seems ludicrous to cede territory to Russia, here’s some land for your mishandled invasion as a treat.  It feels like a no-win situation; admit defeat, retreat, and maybe we’ll let you have an economy again?

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

Genuinely, what could they offer to Russia as an acceptable off-ramp at this point?  It seems ludicrous to cede territory to Russia, here’s some land for your mishandled invasion as a treat.  It feels like a no-win situation; admit defeat, retreat, and maybe we’ll let you have an economy again?

Claim you won against the "Nazis" by letting them take that Azov nazi group out in exchange for leaving, re open parts of the economy and Ukraine gives up Crimea.

But Russia will want no EU/Nato membership for Ukraine and no arms in Ukraine. They want a defenseless buffer between them and NATO.

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

How open is the Ukraine to the idea of ceding Crimea?

Probably not but they basically already lost it. I don't think anyone is gonna be happy with the compromise in the end if it does get settled. The thing is even though Russia is DERP, they are DERPING their way to a win either way. 

6 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Claim you won against the "Nazis" by letting them take that Azov nazi group out in exchange for leaving, re open parts of the economy and Ukraine gives up Crimea.

But Russia will want no EU/Nato membership for Ukraine and no arms in Ukraine. They want a defenseless buffer between them and NATO.

It won't be just Crimea though.

The Russians are going to demand that Ukraine renounce all claims to the Donbas as well.

22 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I just have nothing to add because I'm not a foreign policy expert.

This board would only have posts about fapping and pizza if expert opinion was required

26 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

I understand why some are putting the onus on the West or the U.S. for providing offramps. There have been wars triggered over sides being too mushy about what their red lines are.

But in this case I think it really is ok to put that burden on Putin. This war is going to go on exactly as long as he wants it too.