Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (14 May 2024) - Russia launches new invasion from the north into Kharkiv, soon to launch second corridor into Sumy. Situation is dire

Microsoft-logo_rgb_c-gray-1024x459.png
BLOGS.MICROSOFT.COM

We are announcing today that we will suspend all new sales of Microsoft products and services in Russia. In addition, we are coordinating closely with the US, the EU and the UK, and we are stopping many aspects of our business in Russia in compliance with governmental sanction decisions.

Obviously Putin appears to be in the grip of a tsarist fever dream, but realistically what could we expect him to accept as an alternative to total control of Ukraine if the pressure was enough from within Russia? Control of Crimea, Donbas, and the coastal link between?

Here is Russia's current progress as of Day 8/9:

800px-2022_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine.s

Something like this?

JeBsNLW.png

And if he somehow would accept that as a victory domestically, would Ukraine accept it?

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Obviously Putin appears to be in the grip of a tsarist fever dream, but realistically what could we expect him to accept as an alternative to total control of Ukraine if the pressure was enough from within Russia? Control of Crimea, Donbas, and the coastal link between?

Here is Russia's current progress as of Day 8/9:

800px-2022_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine.s

Something like this?

JeBsNLW.png

And if he somehow would accept that as a victory domestically, would Ukraine accept it?

That is exactly what a "realistic" outcome looks like.

Of course, Ukraine will never "accept" it, but what other choice do they also realistically have?

Just now, mclumber1 said:

If Russia were allowed to keep that land, despite "losing" the war, they would need to give something (probably quite a bit of something) to Ukraine in exchange - either reparations or land within Russia of equal or greater size. 

That is simply NOT going to happen in any way, shape, or form.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

If Russia were allowed to keep that land, despite "losing" the war, they would need to give something (probably quite a bit of something) to Ukraine in exchange - either reparations or land within Russia of equal or greater size. 

Very respectfully, mclumber, like they did with Crimea?

Yes, the end result there being that no one did anything and just allowed it to happen, which may turn out to be very different in this instance.

...but while he continues to press forward, while the convoy keeps rolling, while major cities are in jeopardy of falling the world just...

3 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

Very respectfully, mclumber, like they did with Crimea?

Yes, the end result there being that no one did anything and just allowed it to happen, which may turn out to be very different in this instance.

...but while he continues to press forward, while the convoy keeps rolling, while major cities are in jeopardy of falling the world just...

Crimea was relatively bloodless, and the population there was either apathetic or welcoming of the annexation.  What Russia is doing in greater Ukraine is the polar opposite of what happened in Crimea. 

• Ukraine 1

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Crimea was relatively bloodless, and the population there was either apathetic or welcoming of the annexation.  What Russia is doing in greater Ukraine is the polar opposite of what happened in Crimea. 

I do hope, mclumber.

Still.

I do hope. 

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That is exactly what a "realistic" outcome looks like.

Of course, Ukraine will never "accept" it, but what other choice do they also realistically have?

And (unfortunately for Ukraine), I think the US/EU will gladly trade that outcome for expanding NATO/EU into more of eastern and northern Europe. So the question is: if Russia takes that highlighted land and the west grudgingly accepts, do you think Ukraine (with new border) has a chance at still entering the EU, etc? 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ukraine apparently did manage air strikes on the Russian convoy north of Kyiv, forcing the entire thing to a halt (but it was already likely stalled due to logistics disasters):

To me that big line seems like a distraction. Similar how wooden airplanes were used in WW2 to confuse enemies. 

1 hour ago, Comet said:
220304095105-lukoil-russia-ukraine-super
EDITION.CNN.COM

Russia's second largest oil company has broken ranks with President Vladimir Putin.

GettyImages-1163058789.jpg?quality=85&st
WWW.NBCNEWYORK.COM

New Jersey’s largest city unanimously passed a resolution Wednesday to suspend the business license of local Lukoil gas stations — an action prompted by Russia’s invasion of...

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What...the...hell...?!?!?

That...seems not only imprudent of the fund, it also makes me suspicious of the decision-making that got them there. I'd wager a few rubles that somewhere along the way, someone on the fund's board/leadership had some "friendly" relations with a few Russians.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That...seems not only imprudent of the fund, it also makes me suspicious of the decision-making that got them there. I'd wager a few rubles that somewhere along the way, someone on the fund's board/leadership had some "friendly" relations with a few Russians.

Right - that absolutely stinks of something that while not necessarily illegal definitely should be investigated.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If Ukraine somehow holds out and retains 70-80% of their territory after the war, I have to imagine that they are effectively going to be made into a fortress by the EU/NATO, in terms of mobile weapons systems, anti-air defenses, etc.

It's gonna be like the bases I built when I fought against the Zerg invasion. We all remember, never forget. 

• Ukraine 2