Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (14 May 2024) - Russia launches new invasion from the north into Kharkiv, soon to launch second corridor into Sumy. Situation is dire

3 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Meh, Mearsheimer is definitely a bit of a Putin apologist.  He’s also right about a lot of things, though.  He’s also prone to slip too freely between his ‘descriptive realist’ ethos and his ‘prescriptive moralist’ ethos, without acknowledging it.

I also think he was way too dismissive about Putins latest and previous rhertoric. I just thought it was an interesting perspective.

3 minutes ago, Derek said:

Do you think Putin is well beyond reason at this point?

I don't know if I would call it beyond reason but I don't think he has any good options. i don't expect any kind of sanctions to prevent him from going full speed ahead.

The only possible way to get this war to stop is to allow him to save face in some way. So Biden and co better be thinking of some way to give him an out.

2 minutes ago, Derek said:

Do you think Putin is well beyond reason at this point?

He's a little man with a Napoleonic complex, which means he needs a way out of this fiasco while saving face. The problem is that as more time goes on, and as the situation escalates and gets worse, the options for saving face get worse and worse each day, until the he's in a "burn every bridge until he's dead" scenario as the only option.

O7TV3JK7XBNJ7L7ITQQ6KQE4WY.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Foreign investors are effectively stuck with their holdings of Russian stocks and rouble-denominated bonds after the central bank put a temporary halt on payments and major overseas' settlement systems stopped accepting Russian assets.

Foreign investors are effectively stuck with their holdings of Russian stocks and rouble-denominated bonds after the central bank put a temporary halt on payments and major overseas' settlement systems stopped accepting Russian assets.

Moscow is blocking foreign investors, who hold tens of billions of dollars worth of Russian stocks and bonds, from exiting after its invasion of Ukraine triggered a wave of economic sanctions and a haemorrhage of assets.

The Bank of Russia said on Wednesday it had banned coupon payments for foreign investors holding rouble-denominated sovereign debt, known as OFZs, and Russian companies were also barred from paying dividends to overseas shareholders. It did not specify how long the curbs, which don't apply to local investors, would last.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
O7TV3JK7XBNJ7L7ITQQ6KQE4WY.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

These kind of moves will damage Russias economy well beyond this war. No one is going to trust investing there again.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

So it would appear!

In June 2018, Macedonia and Greece resolved the dispute with an agreement that the country should rename itself "Republic of North Macedonia". This renaming came into effect in February 2019.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Macedonia

Well I'll be damned, I'm shocked the Greeks were willing to compromise on this at all.

• True 1

Your daily reminder that Eastern Europe is still Eastern Europe:

6720.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Non-white refugees face violence and racist abuse in Przemyśl, as police warn of fake reports of ‘migrants committing crimes’

Police in Poland have warned that fake reports of violent crimes being committed by people fleeing Ukraine are circulating on social media after Polish nationalists attacked and abused groups of African, south Asian and Middle Eastern people who had crossed the border last night.

Attackers dressed in black sought out groups of non-white refugees, mainly students who had just arrived in Poland at Przemyśl train station from cities in Ukraine after the Russian invasion. According to the police, three Indians were beaten up by a group of five men, leaving one of them hospitalised.

“Around 7pm, these men started to shout and yell against groups of African and Middle Eastern refugees who were outside the train station,” two Polish journalists from the press agency OKO, who first reported the incident, told the Guardian. “They yelled at them: ‘Go back to the train station! Go back to your country.’”

Police intervened and riot officers were deployed after groups of men arrived chanting “Przemyśl always Polish”.

• Guillotine 5