Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (14 May 2024) - Russia launches new invasion from the north into Kharkiv, soon to launch second corridor into Sumy. Situation is dire

5 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Point taken. But for matter like these I know very, very little. I have nothing to say but "this sucks".

Honestly, I feel the same. I check in on the thread on occasion just to have some reference for where things stand, but I don’t get most of the minutiae. I just hope it is over soon.

The funny thing is I know a lot about foreign policy and such things, but I've gotten so frustrated with the state of the world (and my country) these days that I don't comment 1/10th of the amount I used to just because I realize that my contributions do nothing and quite often commenting on anything is akin to trying to get meaningful dialogue out of a Twitter feed.

• Like 1
  • True 1

Clearly Ukraine has some of their air force still intact, as well as some of their air defense systems on the ground. I don't believe they still have the majority. However, it also seems that Russia's air force is not in the shape that some believed, so it kind of balances out (in that Russia only has so many fighter/bombers it can safely commit, and Ukraine still has enough air defense to prevent them from fully committing).

8 minutes ago, brucoe said:

The funny thing is I know a lot about foreign policy and such things, but I've gotten so frustrated with the state of the world (and my country) these days that I don't comment 1/10th of the amount I used to just because I realize that my contributions do nothing and quite often commenting on anything is akin to trying to get meaningful dialogue out of a Twitter feed.

I appreciate your posts given that so much of the activity on the board has turned into not much more than a small handful of users’ Twitter feeds

SEAD is such a VITAL component of modern military operations that I'm simply having trouble coming up with any scenario under which it's not given the highest or near-highest operational priority.

Maybe this is just a reflection of my American/NATO conceptual bias, because trust me - SEAD and Area Denial capabilities are VERY much on our minds these days.

11 minutes ago, legend said:

Discussion and speculation outside your expertise is perfectly fine and even good as long as you express it with uncertainty and others don't interpret and reshare it as expertise.

But then no one would become politicians.

• True 2

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

SEAD is such a VITAL component of modern military operations that I'm simply having trouble coming up with any scenario under which it's not given the highest or near-highest operational priority.

Maybe this is just a reflection of my American/NATO conceptual bias, because trust me - SEAD and Area Denial capabilities are VERY much on our minds these days.

I'm also surprised all these countries with borders that drive into other potentially hostile nations don't have some sort of retractable road system to make roads unusable for enemy vehicles. Like metal grates like a Chicago style bridge that can collapse in key areas. 

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

You're really contributing rn, maybe change the thread to something more entertaining for you. 

What are you so upset over?

Just now, sblfilms said:

What are you so upset over?

You're just in here bitching about how you don't understand what's going on and want it to be over soon and are complaining that people are sharing tweets and links from ppl on the ground. You're adding even less and just seem to be like "this is boring for me change the channel" and it's like then don't add anything here and make a thread about something you find more interesting instead of being snide about those of us who are here discussing the topic. 

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've noticed that European officials are the ones giving out the most hysterical/sensational/blood-curdling information about Russian intentions while American officials are providing far more sober, fact-based information.

Well, considering German intelligence was completely wrong from the start I would say they could be having a knee-jerk reaction.

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

You're just in here bitching about how you don't understand what's going on and want it to be over soon and are complaining that people are sharing tweets and links from ppl on the ground. You're adding even less and just seem to be like "this is boring for me change the channel" and it's like then don't add anything here and make a thread about something you find more interesting instead of being snide about those of us who are here discussing the topic. 

I didn’t say or suggest anything of the sort. You are reading a bunch of nonsense into a post that is one of sorrow for the plight of Ukraine. Absolutely psyched response here 🙄

From a ResetERA poster in the city of Kherson that may or may not be under Russian control:

I went outside today and saw some z-marked cars in front of the city council but no soldiers, two days ago they were patrolling the city, feels like for now they are disinterested in asserting their control, the city is quiet

5 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

"Over correction"

Speaking of, I heard on the radio today that part of Germany's "lethal aid" is that they're sending old Soviet-era Strela MANPADS to Ukraine. The Strela is a Soviet weapon system similar to the American Stinger missile. And they've been in storage for 30 years. They aren't going to fucking work. 

Germany is still shitting out on this whole deal. 

• Guillotine 1

7 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Speaking of, I heard on the radio today that part of Germany's "lethal aid" is that they're sending old Soviet-era Strela MANPADS to Ukraine. The Strela is a Soviet weapon system similar to the American Stinger missile. And they've been in storage for 30 years. They aren't going to fucking work. 

Those Steals have been sitting around in a warehouse in the former GDR since re-unification.

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:

It will be interesting to see how European influence may shift once perception changes or settles on how different countries handled this situation. 

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From a ResetERA poster in the city of Kherson that may or may not be under Russian control:

Has Russia actually done anything to hold control the areas they've taken over? Everything I've read makes it sound like they've basically planted a flag and moved on.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Has Russia actually done anything to hold control the areas they've taken over? Everything I've read makes it sound like they've basically planted a flag and moved on.

That's essentially what's happening.

They're not setting up any type of occupation/administrative authority or it would appear leaving any forces behind for security duty.

Something I find interesting but not discussed that much is the volunteer force that is starting to respond to the conflict. I'm on a couple of lists that consist of people I have served with in the Army, and more and more of these lists seem to have individuals that are volunteering to fight on the side of the Ukrainians. What's interesting about these lists is that these are some pretty highly skilled combat veterans who are joining. A couple of them are already reporting from within Ukraine.

What concerns me is the realization that this could be pretty dangerous if the Russians start to make the argument that we're sending specialized soldiers over to Ukraine, even if they are volunteers and not representing the US military and government.

• Ukraine 2