Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (14 May 2024) - Russia launches new invasion from the north into Kharkiv, soon to launch second corridor into Sumy. Situation is dire

Just now, Ricofoley said:

It's still pretty disturbing regardless! If it were up to me I would simply not fight around the nuclear power plant!

I would choose to not wage a war of imperialist aggression but I guess I’m just built different. 

• Haha 4
  • True 2
  • Sicko 1

I did nuclear power for 10 years.  What happened at Chernobyl is such a remote possibility for what could occur at this other power plant, you really shouldn't spend the calories worrying about it.  

Could there be a release of radiation if the Russians damage certain parts of the facility?  Yes.  Absolutely.  But it won't be like Chernobyl.

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I did nuclear power for 10 years.  What happened at Chernobyl is such a remote possibility for what could occur at this other power plant, you really shouldn't spend the calories worrying about it.  

Could there be a release of radiation if the Russians damage certain parts of the facility?  Yes.  Absolutely.  But it won't be like Chernobyl.

I know we're looking at different designs, but how would this compare to Fukushima? Also, it's probably safe to assume nowhere near the same level of immediate care and functional governing Japan was able to provide.

18 minutes ago, brucoe said:

Doesn't this sound almost like the dialogue of the tv series Chernobyl, where they kept saying: "It can't happen"? And then it happened.

What? Chernobyl happened because of extreme negligence and the dumbest possible people almost intentionally trying to make it happen. It was the most redneck shit ever.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

I know we're looking at different designs, but how would this compare to Fukushima? Also, it's probably safe to assume nowhere near the same level of immediate care and functional governing Japan was able to provide.

Fukushima was due to a loss of cooling, not a prompt-critical event like Chernobyl.  So I suppose a Fukushima like accident is possible, where a loss of cooling occurs due to the backup cooling systems failing.  This is a fairly slow process though - minutes to hours until a release of radioactive particles.  For perspective, Chernobyl happened over the course of a fraction of a second. 

Five of the six reactors at the ZNPP are shut down. So long as the cooling pumps keep running, it'll be fine. With power generation down, though, another danger (aside from shells hitting spent fuel--which is only a danger to the immediate area) is that Ukraine won't be able to meet its power demands. This plant supplies around 25% of the entire country's power. 

That's why Russia is doing this. They're just getting them to turn it off and move away from the power plant so they can occupy it. 

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Fukushima was due to a loss of cooling, not a prompt-critical event like Chernobyl.  So I suppose a Fukushima like accident is possible, where a loss of cooling occurs due to the backup cooling systems failing.  This is a fairly slow process though - minutes to hours until a release of radioactive particles.  For perspective, Chernobyl happened over the course of a fraction of a second. 

I don't think anybody should be concerned with three eyed fish. I'm more concerned with poisoned drinking water seeing as the Russians have shown some a fantastic organizational skills and top notch maintenance.