~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

19 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I wonder what percentage of those were killed by guns in their own homes. 

A HUGE percentage,  especially for younger kids. We'd know except the gun lobby, using congress forbids federal funding of any of these kinds of studies and statistics. 

EDIT: I stand corrected. Federal Funding JUST started back up after a pause in the last 20 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/26/now-government-is-funding-gun-violence-research-it-years-behind/

20230418Shootings.jpg
BNONEWS.COM

At least 7 people have been shot, including drivers on a highway, after a man went on a shooting spree in Maine, according to state police. A person of interest has been detained. The investigation began on Tuesday morning when four people were found dead inside a home on Augusta Road in Bowdoin, a town […]

230419111925-payton-washington-screengra
WWW.CNN.COM

Two teenage cheerleaders were shot after one said she mistook the suspect's vehicle for her own in a supermarket parking lot near Texas' capital -- making this at least the third incident this...

Continuing with the theme

5 hours ago, mrbiggsly said:
230419111925-payton-washington-screengra
WWW.CNN.COM

Two teenage cheerleaders were shot after one said she mistook the suspect's vehicle for her own in a supermarket parking lot near Texas' capital -- making this at least the third incident this...

Continuing with the theme

I have no idea how many times I've gone to the wrong car thinking it was an Uber waiting for me and just proceeded to try and open the door. Everytime I did it, I said to myself "that's a great way to get shot." TOO MANY GUNS.

My dad came out of a grocery store some 15 years ago and a woman was waiting by his car. She stayed because she wanted to let him know that she accidentally opened the wrong car. She had the same make and model Ford Tempo and her key opened our car before she realized it wasn’t hers. 

• Shocked 1

So many gun owners fantasize about using their guns. They carry a gun everywhere and just itching for any excuse to use it.

So many people have been conditioned to think we live in some sort of post apocalyptic crime filled hell scape of lawlessness and chaos and they didn’t buy those guns not to use them, that’s for sure…

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

All I want is to take my rifles to the woods and shoot deer and squirrel to make tasty dishes. Like, I bought a new rifle a few weeks ago, a 7mm-08 Ruger M77. Beautiful walnut stock and blue barrel and it's left-handed, which is what I've been wanting and they're harder to find. Can't wait for deer season. That's all I really care about as far as guns go.

• True 1

19 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

At this point it almost seems irrational not to be armed due to these gun nuts. I’m deep east bay so I know I’m surrounded by “responsible” gun owners who absolutely notice me and my fiancé when we’re out.

Dude I've been thinking the same thing. As I've said my Father and Stepfather have been on me to get a weapon for my own protection and I'm the closest I've EVER been to actually buying one. Grew up in the hood in the late 80's and 90's and never felt the need to own a gun... Now I'm pricing pistols and shotguns. God damn this country.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

On 4/19/2023 at 7:58 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Dude I've been thinking the same thing. As I've said my Father and Stepfather have been on me to get a weapon for my own protection and I'm the closest I've EVER been to actually buying one. Grew up in the hood in the late 80's and 90's and never felt the need to own a gun... Now I'm pricing pistols and shotguns. God damn this country.

Currently own twoassault rifles but they’re kept in a safe with the firing pins removed. They’re out every month to be cleaned and I’ve not fired them in a year.

Ive definitely checked some inventory at the local stores here for my fiancé alone. Can’t believe I’m at this point in my life. I just need to retire and gtfo permanently at this point.

32 minutes ago, ort said:

So many gun owners fantasize about using their guns. They carry a gun everywhere and just itching for any excuse to use it.

So many people have been conditioned to think we live in some sort of post apocalyptic crime filled hell scape of lawlessness and chaos and they didn’t buy those guns not to use them, that’s for sure…

I remember years back I had someone come up to the counter at work. It was this 5'6, 55 year old man who planted his hips with his feet spread out like gunfighters in an Old Western every time he took a step in line and then had to stop. He had a pistol holstered at his hip for a random trip to a fast food restaurant.

I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I saw him. I don't think he noticed. 

It was just so on the nose. The only way the guy could have been a bigger white grievance avatar is if he has drove his pickup truck with a Confederate flag hanging on the back through the foyer, stopped to rev his engine then rolled coal smashing through the other side of the store and sped off with his truck nuts gently swaying in the wind.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I remember years back I had someone come up to the counter at work. It was this 5'6, 55 year old man who planted his hips with his feet spread out like gunfighters in an Old Western every time he took a step in line and then had to stop. He had a pistol holstered at his hip for a random trip to a fast food restaurant.

I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I saw him. I don't think he noticed. 

It was just so on the nose. The only way the guy could have been a bigger white grievance avatar is if he has drove his pickup truck with a Confederate flag hanging on the back through the foyer, stopped to rev his engine then rolled coal smashing through the other side of the store and sped off with his truck nuts gently swaying in the wind.

I live in a neighborhood that's like only 30% white and we have one of the walkable hotspots with lots of shopping. You can't bring your guns into stores but this all American tool was walking around with his gun obnoxiously obviously looking for someone to say something so he could react. It was dumb AF because everyone just rolled their eyes and he couldn't go anywhere since you can't carry in private stores that state it (they all do). So this guy just basically did a lap around 4 blocks and had to leave. 

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2023 at 9:58 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Im at that point as well.. finally moved off post, its a relatively quiet place.. but you sit around and get contaminated with all the daily lunacy news.. you cant help sometimes want to have that extra level of “security” just because it almost feels so common that you think you might find yourself in a situation one day where someone is so brazen to do a home invasion robbery..

heck my friend who lives in Texas just had a run in with someone… she went to her car to put some stuff in it, she went inside to get more stuff and when she went to put that in a guy grabbed her and started struggling with her from behind… the person eventually ran off but she was shook… upon driving the car she discovered the guy had likely been underneath car because her converter had been partially cut

On 4/19/2023 at 11:41 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

All I want is to take my rifles to the woods and shoot deer and squirrel to make tasty dishes. Like, I bought a new rifle a few weeks ago, a 7mm-08 Ruger M77. Beautiful walnut stock and blue barrel and it's left-handed, which is what I've been wanting and they're harder to find. Can't wait for deer season. That's all I really care about as far as guns go.

One of the best deer calibers ever made, I'd say only surpassed by the .25-06. What model did you buy? 

I'm at the point where I'm just fine with them banning any Semi-auto rifle that is designed for high capacity magazines. I have two AR-15's, one chambered in .223 and one in .300blk, as well as bullpup rifles in 223 and 12 guage. They are my least used firearms, and I'd be fine if they were banned, and production of them stopped. Do I enjoy them when I fire them? Absolutely. But the damage they are doing to society is out of hand. As long as I have my pistols, bolt and lever action rifles and semi-auto duck shotguns, i'm fine. 

I'd also be fine with special licensing for AR and Bullpup platforms, and age gating it at 25+. Or even a special license for ANY semi-auto with a detachable mag. 

But I'll never agree with "Guns have to go".

14 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Do we need a separate thread on right wing violence? Is there already one?

Koko-GettyImages-1458331705.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Rasheeda Williams, a trans woman also known as Koko Da Doll who appeared in the documentary 'Kokomo City,' reportedly was shot and killed in Atlanta.

Is there some other article you meant to link to that provides any information on the shooter or their motive?

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

One of the best deer calibers ever made, I'd say only surpassed by the .25-06. What model did you buy? 

Eh? I got the M77 Hawkeye. They don't make them anymore, but a guy near me was selling his and it was in near perfect condition. Ammo is kind of a pain to find, though. I got a couple boxes and my dad reloads, so he'll start that when I give him some used casings.

First deer I ever killed was with a .25-06. I'd like to inherit that gun from him.

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is there some other article you meant to link to that provides any information on the shooter or their motive?

Nope, I'm just reading between the lines when the Atlanta PD says...

While these individual incidents are unrelated, we are very aware of the epidemic-level violence black and brown transgender women face in America.

Unless there's some other, not right-wing, reason for the Atlanta PD to think there's a rise in violence targeting trans women.

12 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Unless there's some other, not right-wing, reason for the Atlanta PD to think there's a rise in violence targeting trans women.

The shooting in this case seemed to likely have developed from a dispute between the victim and a Black male suspect caught on a security camera. The other murder mentioned was pretty certainly committed by another Black person who knew the victim. There doesn't seem to be any reason to believe these were examples of right wing violence, though both investigations appear to be quite preliminary.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The shooting in this case seemed to likely have developed from a dispute between the victim and a Black male suspect caught on a security camera. The other murder mentioned was pretty certainly committed by another Black person who knew the victim. There doesn't seem to be any reason to believe these were examples of right wing violence, though both investigations appear to be quite preliminary.

I mean, black suspects do not rule out violence perpetrated thanks to the increasingly harsh rhetoric levied at trans people. That said, even if this particular case isn't an example, there's still the fact that anti-trans violence and especially murders are on the rise and I was wondering if we had a good place to drop this cases.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I mean, black suspects do not rule out violence perpetrated thanks to the increasingly harsh rhetoric levied at trans people.

Lets not pretend that is what you meant with your previous posts :p 

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Lets not pretend that is what you meant with your previous posts :p 

I grew up in a harshly conservative Evangelical Spanish church. I would never assume right wing violence is only coming from white people. That's why in my first reply to you I omitted the "black and brown" modifiers from the Atlanta PD's statement. I presented this as a right-wing issue, not a racism issue. I know and am related to FAR too many homophobic and transphobic Hispanics for that to be the case.

13 minutes ago, chakoo said:
FL01F-04-21_FL_INSTACART_COUPLE_SHOOTING
WWW.WFLA.COM

A couple in Broward County said someone shot at them after they ended up at the wrong address while delivering groceries for Instacart.

:angry:

I'm pretty much now convinced this is a common occurrence we've all just had collective blinders to thanks to a lack of media coverage. Someone convinced me otherwise.

• True 2
  • Halal 2

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

These people are so fucking stupid.

Read the article. It's not just "typical gun buying folks". A lot of black folks I know who would have never considered buying guns before are entertaing. I'd imagine the same is true for Jews, Asians,  The LGBTQ community and other marginalized groups.

• Halal 2