JPG File Sells for $69 Million, as ‘NFT Mania’ Gathers Pace

I watched that 2 hour long Problem with NFTs YouTube video today. It's well done. I wouldn't really say it made me more cynical than I was about crypto and NFTs, because I think I was already about as cynical as you can get, but it filled in a few blanks in my understanding. The section about people getting suckered into "play to earn" games and then essentially getting ordered around by pitbosses is especially grim.

21 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I somehow did think it was possible to dislike Fallon any less. Showing off a $200,000 piece of digital art on TV in front of an audience who could never afford it is just gross.

Sadly that's how a lot of people justify buying these. "I like the artwork" or "I chose it because x" - Hey man it looks like shit!

fallon-hell.jpg
DEFECTOR.COM

The thing about NFTs is they are not real. You own a version of an image that exists inside your computer. What NFTs really are, though, is the culmination of rich people shaving the art industry down into a place for them to flaunt their own wealth or hide it. There's nothing more to it. It's not interesting. It's killing the planet. It's a game for people with so much money that they can afford to toss $500,000 in the trash for fun.

This is really good:

But it’s even stupider than that. Investments do not actually pay off until you have managed to sell it to someone else. Rich people investing in art have made it a much more stable world to turn a profit than it probably should be, but this is by no means foolproof, or morally defensible. The reason people collect art instead of stocks or jewels or gold bars is because it is beautiful. Because art whispers something special in your ear that transforms you and the ways you see this world. Art moves people so much they call it priceless, not because they haven’t had it properly appraised, but because of immeasurable personal value. At the very least you are supposed to buy art you actually fucking like! What’s so embarrassing to me about this clip is that they don’t even seem to care about their apes at all. They have no interest in them. They barely even see their apes, probably because all they own is an expensive screenshot of their ape and the promise that it—and the people who own these apeshots—are unique and breathtaking.

The whole time this little fragment was going on, I kept imagining a real piece of art in Fallon’s hand. Imagine if they had both invested in some artist’s work because they really liked the way that it looked and found it interesting. Imagine if they’d both bought a piece they found because they simply wanted something beautiful and now, on The Tonight Show of all places, they could introduce this artist to the world. They would still be doing the same thing: increasing the value of their investment by artificially inflating the demand. But at least there might be a glimmer of passion there, a sense that they are investing in the arts because they love this piece and not just because their accountant told them to move money around.

TLDR art matters and is important, and this shit isn't about art or artists it's just a way for rich people to add a zero or two to their investment portfolio.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

TLDR art matters and is important, and this shit isn't about art or artists it's just a way for rich people to add a zero or two to their investment portfolio.

When I worked at Callaway it was clear the people that wanted the work done has no sense of aesthetics or concept of what looked good, that's why you got paid because you knew what looked good and they didn't. Unless of course the work looked nothing like they wanted (usually their fault for not looking at the artwork they sent or the instructions that were sent down)

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

When I worked at Callaway it was clear the people that wanted the work done has no sense of aesthetics or concept of what looked good, that's why you got paid because you knew what looked good and they didn't. Unless of course the work looked nothing like they wanted (usually their fault for not looking at the artwork they sent or the instructions that were sent down)

I was in Mexico and white people had local taste guides who would tell them what to buy from the artists zone lol. They would book them in advance and it was a whole experience. Being Mexican I know the guides are just suggesting different artists in rotation so everyone gets fed. 

It was clear they had no idea what art is and they had no opinions of their own so they needed experts to tell them.  We ended up near a family of them at dinner once and it was like 3 sticks of beige with no personality wondering why they had nothing to talk about. That was their whole conversation for hours. 

25 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I was in Mexico and white people had local taste guides who would tell them what to buy from the artists zone lol. They would book them in advance and it was a whole experience. Being Mexican I know the guides are just suggesting different artists in rotation so everyone gets fed.

Gotta buy those frog statues fo sho.

42 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Wait, is that all NFTs are now? A picture of that ape?

Fuck that, buy my pixelated vampire gorilla!

I think I mentioned this earlier but if you watch that (2 hour) video, there's a section where he joins a bunch of NFT discords and then it shows all the amazingly original NFTs out there. Not just repeats of apes, but there are sharks, cats and even pixel boobs! :o

I posted this on The Spawn Point as there is a gaming link, but it should definitely go here as well.

D-02607.jpg
THE-CRYPTO-SYLLABUS.COM

"Within our present oligarchic, exploitative, irrational, and inhuman world system, the rise of crypto applications will only make our society more oligarchic, more exploitative, more...

On 2/1/2022 at 8:59 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Now, if someone sold their coins for $500,000 and has the cash and owes $100,000 to the government, that's perhaps not the end of the world. But if they sold them for $500,000 and then immediately just bought more stuff, losing all liquidity...yeah, that's stupid.

The issue is a lot of these crypto platforms are treating these like card network transactions, and reporting 1099 income to the IRS, but there is no cost side of the transactions. So a person who buys/sells over and over could rack up substantial “income” while actually losing money.

Lololololo

One of the most popular cross-blockchain bridges may have been the victim of a hack worth over $326 million on Wednesday.

ENIB37M7NVGODPAVTJXCYIMPDE.jpeg
WWW.COINDESK.COM

The popular bridge for connecting Ethereum, Solana and more is now attempting to negotiate on-chain with the hacker.

• Haha 1