JPG File Sells for $69 Million, as ‘NFT Mania’ Gathers Pace

Bitcoin is off nearly 40% since it hit its record high back in early November. Generally everything else tracks with Bitcoin fairly closely in the shape of their charts, so a lot of guys I know who were posting a bunch about their crypto gains after Halloween have go rather quiet since.

I actually think a crypto correction will continue over 2022 as rising interest rates move move away from risky assets like crypto back into more stable assets like treasuries.

This is one of the best things I've read on "Web 3" so far, written by someone that actually did the thing and create some real dApps to see how it all works. It gets a little technical, but the main points are made plainly.

He makes the point that I was attempting to make earlier much better. While I complained that NFTs were often just http links, he points out that they don't have a hash or any way to ensure that the link is the thing it's claiming to be. To prove his point, he made an NFT that reads who is looking at it and changes based on that. So if you were on OpenSea or Rarible (places where you buy NFTs), you see one thing, but if you open it up in your wallet, you just see a poop emoji. Hilarious, proves his point, and also got his NFT removed from OpenSea.

That brought him to what I think is his best made point: that the decentralized web is currently very centralized. After his NFT was removed from OpenSea, every wallet app he used wouldn't show his NFT anymore, because every wallet app uses OpenSea's API instead of contacting the blockchain directly. So his NFT still exists on the blockchain, but the universe of apps people actually use can't get to it because a centralized system that everyone relies on is playing man in the middle.

He goes on and talks about how pretty much all blockchain interactions rely on a very small number of these centralized systems, and how their ability to iterate faster than the blockchain protocol is likely to cement their dominance over time.

I think it's at there that the rubber meets the road. Before this piece I hadn't thought of it this way, but each blockchain is a lot like an open standard. There's the theoretical promise of how it could work if everyone agrees to use it in exactly the same way, but you can easily end up in a scenario where a small number of entities end up controlling how it's actually used.

jf3ajS5me78
WWW.GARBAGEDAY.EMAIL

Read to the end for Rosamund Pike opening a pineapple with her bare hands

‘’’It’s a story as old as time. A group of financially independent young men find each other on the internet. They realize they all have similar libertarian beliefs and decide they should start their own nation. They then convince a bunch of other men, usually ones who aren’t so financially independent, to buy into this scheme to support their dream of building the perfect libertarian state. And it doesn’t even matter what kind of internet community of men we’re talking about. This will happen anywhere.

But there tend to be a few things that really screw these projects up. First, libertarians, inherently, don’t work together very well. Second, even if they do manage to organize themselves, they typically can’t amass enough capital to buy a piece of land that they can turn into their own country. Buying an island or an abandoned oil tanker or whatever is expensive and complicated. But even if everything else goes right, there is one thing no group of online free market weirdos have ever been able to agree on. Once the topic is even mentioned within a group of libertarian men, it will cause so much infighting and drama that it inevitably destroys the community and implodes whatever shared goal they were trying to accomplish. And that topic is, of course, age of consent laws.’’’

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
jf3ajS5me78
WWW.GARBAGEDAY.EMAIL

Read to the end for Rosamund Pike opening a pineapple with her bare hands

‘’’It’s a story as old as time. A group of financially independent young men find each other on the internet. They realize they all have similar libertarian beliefs and decide they should start their own nation. They then convince a bunch of other men, usually ones who aren’t so financially independent, to buy into this scheme to support their dream of building the perfect libertarian state. And it doesn’t even matter what kind of internet community of men we’re talking about. This will happen anywhere.

But there tend to be a few things that really screw these projects up. First, libertarians, inherently, don’t work together very well. Second, even if they do manage to organize themselves, they typically can’t amass enough capital to buy a piece of land that they can turn into their own country. Buying an island or an abandoned oil tanker or whatever is expensive and complicated. But even if everything else goes right, there is one thing no group of online free market weirdos have ever been able to agree on. Once the topic is even mentioned within a group of libertarian men, it will cause so much infighting and drama that it inevitably destroys the community and implodes whatever shared goal they were trying to accomplish. And that topic is, of course, age of consent laws.’’’

There’s a kerfuffle happening on the online board gaming space now… the owners of Tabletop Simulator (a popular platform to play games online, and also for game designers to be able to pilot / play test / iterate on tabletop games remotely, with a greater number of testers, more safely in COVID times, and less expensively than with physical prototypes) recently told a user that bringing up or mentioning they are trans is against their TOS. Basically adopting a don’t ask, don’t tell policy. This has gone over terribly, as you’d expect, and because Steam is also fucking terrible at this, the comments are now a split with a bunch of people leaving bad reviews for TTS because of this policy, and chuds leaving positive Steam reviews because they support transphobia.

This thread is a good summary of that issue, and to bring this back (finally) to your link… if your space is unmoderated, it becomes moderated by the people most willing to engage who are often the least interested in creating a space free of harassment and exploitation.

Any “libertarian country” will be rife with abuse because the people most motivated to create those spaces are the least likely to be interested to make these places safe. And safe in the real sense, not in the bad faith, right wing definition of “safe space.” If you want to know what Libertopia will be, just go to any “unmoderated” space where “free thinkers” congregate and imagine living there offline. I’d rather drink bleach.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Any “libertarian country” will be rife with abuse because the people most motivated to create those spaces are the least likely to be interested to make these places safe. And safe in the real sense, not in the bad faith, right wing definition of “safe space.” If you want to know what Libertopia will be, just go to any “unmoderated” space where “free thinkers” congregate and imagine living there offline. I’d rather drink bleach.

That tweet is very strange because the situation was caused by the TTS chat moderation auto-kicking/banning people for using words commonly abused by anti-LGBT people. It was this moderation that got a trans person upset because when they used those words in non-trolling ways, they too got kicked from chat. 

Instead of talking with the people who make the game about ways to protect people from bullying but still allow for discussion or even mention, the *ahen* mob began attacking the dev. This attracted the worst scuzzballs around to then defend the company as a means of trolling and bullying the people who were attacking the company.

There was no don’t ask don’t tell policy in place, but that is exactly how these things morph over even a brief time. There is a weird rush to punish people for perceived transgressions and not a lot of patience to hear the truth.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

That tweet is very strange because the situation was caused by the TTS chat moderation auto-kicking/banning people for using words commonly abused by anti-LGBT people. It was this moderation that got a trans person upset because when they used those words in non-trolling ways, they too got kicked from chat. 

Instead of talking with the people who make the game about ways to protect people from bullying but still allow for discussion or even mention, the *ahen* mob began attacking the dev. This attracted the worst scuzzballs around to then defend the company as a means of trolling and bullying the people who were attacking the company.

There was no don’t ask don’t tell policy in place, but that is exactly how these things morph over even a brief time. There is a weird rush to punish people for perceived transgressions and not a lot of patience to hear the truth.

Are we sure? Here's the chat log that kicked this whole thing off...

Transcribed (2022/01/07)

<Berserk> CHRY:  <Link to global chat rules>

Xoe:  I'm aware of the chat rules, I've read them, I was seeking clarification.  I even used the email listed on that page but got no response.

CHRY:  And what's the clarification needed?

Xoe:  So a moderator was referring me to this part of the rules, but it feels a bit ambiguous:

When using Global Chat, there is an expectation that discussion will be family friendly and centered around Tabletop Simulator, tabletop games and chatting with other players.

So, I guess the part I wanted clarification on was the "chatting with other players", does that mean that it's fine if the conversation with the other players in chat starts veering from tabletop games as long as it's a conversation with the others present there and is family friendly?

Like, if someone was like, "I love Root so much, I wish racoons were real" and that started going off into a conversation about racoons and memes, would that be fine?

CHRY:  Chat moderation is based on the contents of the message, not the topic.

Xoe: I'm not sure I understand, so it's more about the specific words used, than what's being discussed?  So, like, I guess when it comes to that general rule, would it be a kick/bannable offense to be talking about racoons for example?  Like, by that bolded text they aren't related to board games in the strictest sense, but I could see it just being a harmless chatter thing.

CHRY:  "Talking about racoons" means nothing in relation to chat moderation. If your message is offensive of disruptive then it will be met with a kick and/or ban.

Xoe:  Okay, so that makes sense to me, so then, why is it that I get kicked for sharing that I'm gay?  Or banned for asking if being gay is considered family friendly?

CHRY: Discussing sexuality has no place in global chat.

Xoe: Why not?

CHRY: <The same link to global chat rules>

Xoe: So, then it isn't considered family friendly then

Is gender considered inappropriate for chat too?  Like sharing that I'm trans?

CHRY: Tabletop simulator is about playing tabletop games, not a place to discuss sexuality, fetishes, politics. Keep that to your private lobbies or public chats where these things are the topic at hand.

Xoe: Are you suggesting that being trans is a fetish or political?

If they're banning the word "gay", I don't know how to describe that as anything but problematic.

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Are we sure? Here's the chat log that kicked this whole thing off...

If they're banning the word "gay", I don't know how to describe that as anything but problematic.

Yes, I’m sure, I read the entire doc the person posted. The volunteer mods not being effective communicators is a separate issue from what the company intended to do with their policies which are aimed at curbing toxic behavior.

What does the word “gay” have to do with the purpose of their global chat space? There are non-auto moderated terms (like LGBT) for those who are looking for specific content types. Like 99.9% of the time the word gay gets bandied about in gaming circles, it is derogatory in nature.

The original complainer though is hugely fixated on their gender identity and sexuality as is easy to see just in their Twitter bio. And they are vegan. This is the sort of person of who feels the need to make every conversation about those things, even if it isn’t relevant to the topic of the setting.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

What does the word “gay” have to do with the purpose of their global chat space? There are non-auto moderated terms (like LGBT) for those who are looking for specific content types. Like 99.9% of the time the word gay gets bandied about in gaming circles, it is derogatory in nature.

I think this is hyperbolic. And to the extent that it's accurate, it's because being openly gay (or trans or black or female, etc.) puts a target on you because online gaming spaces are largely unmoderated for this kind of thing. This isn't a chicken / egg scenario, make online gaming spaces a place to be safely, openly gay and you won't have to worry about it being used in a derogatory way.

38 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think this is hyperbolic. And to the extent that it's accurate, it's because being openly gay (or trans or black or female, etc.) puts a target on you because online gaming spaces are largely unmoderated for this kind of thing. This isn't a chicken / egg scenario, make online gaming spaces a place to be safely, openly gay and you won't have to worry about it being used in a derogatory way.

If it is, it’s only slightly so :p 

Sorry, this may just be one of those situations where you are out of touch with the absolute cesspool that is public communications in modern gaming. You can’t jump into a Call of Duty match with public voice chat and not be inundated with vile language about every marginalized group under the sun. Like, I don’t know any of my Black family or friends who ever use public comms in games because of this.

The only thing that would begin to solve it is real penalties for bigotry, and the industry obviously doesn’t have the vision to see that banning the bigots will cost them something in the short run that will be more than made up by growing the business with people who are completely turned off by the abusive behavior of the bigots.

But getting the pitchforks out because a company chose a poor method of achieving a goal of avoiding abusive behavior instead of having productive conversations is a really dumb strategy if your goal is improvement. But believing the best of people is way harder than assuming the worst. And social media makes it incredibly easy to push the idea that the target had the worst of intentions.

FFS, literally one of their rules is “no hate speech”. The false notion they are siding with bigots is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If it is, it’s only slightly so :p 

Sorry, this may just be one of those situations where you are out of touch with the absolute cesspool that is public communications in modern gaming. You can’t jump into a Call of Duty match with public voice chat and not be inundated with vile language about every marginalized group under the sun. Like, I don’t know any of my Black family or friends who ever use public comms in games because of this.

The only thing that would begin to solve it is real penalties for bigotry, and the industry obviously doesn’t have the vision to see that banning the bigots will cost them something in the short run that will be more than made up by growing the business with people who are completely turned off by the abusive behavior of the bigots.

But getting the pitchforks out because a company chose a poor method of achieving a goal of avoiding abusive behavior instead of having productive conversations is a really dumb strategy if your goal is improvement. But believing the best of people is way harder than assuming the worst. And social media makes it incredibly easy to push the idea that the target had the worst of intentions.

FFS, literally one of their rules is “no hate speech”. The false notion they are siding with bigots is ridiculous.

That's the key issue here. This problem is REALLY easy to fix. That is especially true for any place that has real people working as mods the way TTS does. Just permanently ban the assholes. The only reason that's not the default option and we need all this stupid tiptoeing around the ultimate solution is because game devs either sympathize or believe a sizable amount of their base is made up of racist/misogynist/homophobic/transphobic shit heels.

106950822-1633090990069-4.png?v=16416133
WWW.CNBC.COM

Tesla owners speak to CNBC about how they've used the internal computer and battery power of the car to mine cryptocurrencies.

Taking all of these steps into account, Raval says that over the course of 2021, he earned anywhere from around $400 to $800 a month, making the venture profitable, even during crypto’s doldrums.

Sohmers, who says he was the first to crack into the Model 3 in 2018, tells CNBC that profits that high just aren’t possible.

• Guillotine 1

Team-Milk.jpg?height=418&t=1641495665&wi
WWW.DAIRYFOODS.COM

The “got milk?” campaign from the Washington, D.C.-based Milk Processor Education Program (MilkPEP) is giving football fans the chance to win limited-edition non-fungible tokens (NFTs) featuring Team Milk athletes JuJu Smith-Schuster, Terry McLaurin and Justin Herbert.