Diablo IV - Information Thread, update: "Season of the Construct" announcement trailer (January 23)

Bacon

I don’t feel bad for them. They’re not developing the game in a vacuum. They have their own sorted past when it comes to hated balance patches before this, and there are enough live service games with RPG build crafting mechanics they could have looked to to see how a community would respond. Fuck, Bungie JUST went through a similar update along with the expansion Light Fall. It went over like a lead balloon. And it also has seasonal mods that buff certain builds. But what helped Destiny a bit was there were also buffs and permanent mods added that made some builds easier. It wasn’t just a blanket nerf to the best builds and the players themselves. So like how nobody felt bad for 343 for fucking up a Battlepass and progression or stripping core customization opens from the game to force you to pay extra, I don’t feel bad for Blizzard. 

And it’s not like ANY of the patch was to make a better playing experience. The game didn’t get harder BUT more rewarding. Meta builds didn’t get nerfed BUT other builds were buffed to be viable options. The game didn’t become a slower grind BUT there was more added to the game to do so you won’t get bored. This was all done to slow down progression in hopes people wouldn’t max out and leave the game as fast. 

They had a lot of good will from the betas and initial release of the game and in less than 8 weeks of release pissed it away to try to stretch out player engagement numbers. 

On 7/29/2023 at 10:06 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I don’t feel bad for them. They’re not developing the game in a vacuum. They have their own sorted past when it comes to hated balance patches before this, and there are enough live service games with RPG build crafting mechanics they could have looked to to see how a community would respond. Fuck, Bungie JUST went through a similar update along with the expansion Light Fall. It went over like a lead balloon. And it also has seasonal mods that buff certain builds. But what helped Destiny a bit was there were also buffs and permanent mods added that made some builds easier. It wasn’t just a blanket nerf to the best builds and the players themselves. So like how nobody felt bad for 343 for fucking up a Battlepass and progression or stripping core customization opens from the game to force you to pay extra, I don’t feel bad for Blizzard. 

And it’s not like ANY of the patch was to make a better playing experience. The game didn’t get harder BUT more rewarding. Meta builds didn’t get nerfed BUT other builds were buffed to be viable options. The game didn’t become a slower grind BUT there was more added to the game to do so you won’t get bored. This was all done to slow down progression in hopes people wouldn’t max out and leave the game as fast. 

They had a lot of good will from the betas and initial release of the game and in less than 8 weeks of release pissed it away to try to stretch out player engagement numbers. 

On 7/28/2023 at 8:54 PM, Remarkableriots said:
path-of-exile-2-1690588031017.png?width=
WWW.IGN.COM

Path of Exile 2's developers said they "feel sorry" for Blizzard amid Diablo 4's Season 1 struggles, and also talked about what next year's closed beta absolutely has to get right.

The problems from my perspective is that the Devs hands are being forced by business people shouting at them about whatever KPIs they think are important over trying to just add content to the game to keep it fresh and fun. Business folks tend not to understand that there isn't really a KPI for fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update: "Season of Blood" trailer (October 17)
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update: Steam release announced for October 17 (coincides with "Season of Blood")

In fairness to Blizzard, the initial reception to the second season appears to be somewhat more positive (so far).

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

There are so many changes, you could almost call it Diablo 4 2.0.

There are 51 quality of life changes in the Diablo 4 season 2 patch notes that address some of the action RPG's most glaring issues. Major parts of the game, like leveling speed, mounts, and dungeon layouts have been so dramatically changed that you could almost call this update Diablo 4 2.0—a dramatic overhaul for a game that's just four months old.

Starting on October 17, when the Season of Blood begins, your seasonal and non-seasonal characters will level up faster, have cleaner inventories, finish dungeons more easily, ride their mounts faster, and find better gear than in season 1. Just about everything that got in the way of jumping around Sanctuary and slaying demons has been smoothed out.

"Season 2 really represents the first release where we've had a bit of time to really read all of the feedback from players, watch the videos, and watch players play, and play a lot ourselves in a more live environment with our friends," associate game director Joe Piepiora said in a group interview with PC Gamer.

"The best live service games are ones where there's a healthy dialogue between the player base and the development team," he said, explaining how the new patch targets some of the community's most-requested changes, particularly with the endgame, or post-level-50 experience.

But you'll likely feel these improvements even before level 50. I combed through the patch notes and found seven of the most impactful updates in Diablo 4 season 2.

• Halal 1

The new mechanics they introduced ended up being just way too much...Combine level scaling with arcane systems like Overpower, and the sense of character progression was so muted that I simply do not have any desire to go back and grind the end-game. Maybe they've fixed that but it really put me off from the game, which is a shame because almost everything else about the game was exactly what I wanted out of a new Diablo.

Season of Blood official blog post:

NEWS.BLIZZARD.COM

A fanged scourge preys on Sanctuary in Season of Blood. Team up with a skillful vampire hunter and use new Vampiric Powers and Pact Armor to bring about the ruin of these pests on October 17.

Stepping out from the shadows that once obscured them, the Dark Master’s Blood Seekers swoop in to prey upon unsuspecting mortals. Their ravenous appetites have grown—the Season of Blood will soon ooze throughout Sanctuary!

Diablo IV’s second season begins on October 17 at 10 a.m. PDT. Dare to look fanged destruction in the face and send it back to Hell with a new Season Journey, Questline, Season Event, deadly blood-driven enemies, Battle Pass, and more. Plus, new Uber Endgame bosses have arrived in Sanctuary to increase the variety of endgame activities in Diablo IV. These havoc-wreaking bosses are hard to topple but can drop Unique items and Cosmetics found nowhere else. We’re shedding light on all the grisly details—read on for a comprehensive look at Season of Blood’s contents.

Beginning with Season of Blood, players will now have the option to skip the Campaign after completing the Missing Pieces quest from the Prologue on the Seasonal Realm. Choosing to do so will allow you to jump right into content from Season of Blood.

WWW.VG247.COM

Season of Blood is going to introduce dozens of quality of life changes that not only make sense, they're guaranteed to…

Now that we've learned pretty much everything we need to about Season of Blood, the second season of Diablo 4, it's time to shift our focus to the many, many quality of life changes the upcoming season is introducing to the game.

You might even say that the sheer volume of highly-requested additions, basic features missing since launch, and a host of fixes to some of the most annoying problems are all a bigger deal than the new vampire-themed content in Season of Blood.

WWW.VG247.COM

We finally have all the information we need about Diablo 4's next second season: Season of Blood.

Blizzard has officially detailed everything we've been dying to know about Diablo 4's second season. During a two-hour developer update, Blizzard revealed the new mechanics coming with Season of Blood, new bosses, seasonal event, quests, characters, and a host of quality of life changes launching with the new season.

We're going to stick to the new content coming with Season of Blood in this story, and we'll be covering all the other exciting additions in a separate one.

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

The next Diablo 4 Battle Pass release date has been confirmed ahead of Season of Blood going live on October 17

The next Diablo 4 battle pass will be launching on October 17, to coincide with the Season of Blood going live on that same date. Although the battle pass in Diablo 4 is not completely new now we've already had a season of it, it still pays to know the details so you can get the most out of it and decide if you want to spend money to upgrade your Diablo 4 experience. The Seasonal rotation process in Blizzard's action-RPG can still feel somewhat confusing, with new content coming and going every three months or so, but I'm here to help alleviate some of that mystery.

Below, I'm going to make sure that the Diablo 4 battle pass is properly explained. I'll go through the Seasonal structure, the rewards, how it all works, and more. Naturally, the battle pass is going to run alongside Diablo 4 Season 2, so you may want to go and brush up on the new threat emerging – Lord Zir's vampiric acolytes are emerging from the darkness, and you're only going to have a few months to banish them from the lands. Anyway, let's just get into it: here's everything you need to know about the next Diablo 4 battle pass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update: Steam Deck Verified status confirmed for October 17
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update: expansion "Vessel of Hatred" announced for late 2024 release
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think I'm done with the Diablo franchise (and Blizzard in general). POE 2 looks great.

POE wasn't horrible, but I hated the limited equipment space, the worst trade system I've ever dealt with, and the maps you explored resetting constantly. Things that Diablo improved and/or started with before POE came out, IMO.

@CitizenVectron For example, in POE, I found a temple area to explore. I entered and cleared the temple's first floor. I discovered two cool-sounding areas and went into one. After clearing that area, I went back. The first floor was reset, and the second area I wanted to explore was gone. That, I believe, is bad game design, and in Diablo, you wouldn't have that problem. You have to leave the game for the area to reset.

I finally got around to start playing D4 a months or so ago. I did the campaign on the eternal realm and though it was just ok. I decided I would give the game one more chance to grab me and rolled a new character on the seasonal realm and skipped the campaign and I am having significantly more fun this way. I am not power gaming and looking up the most perfectly optimized build, just doing what seems right as I go. I am using a chain lightning sorcerer and have made it world tier 4 and am still enjoying it, the vampiric seasonal powers are a fun addition. 

• Hype 1

On 12/16/2023 at 11:54 AM, Remarkableriots said:

POE wasn't horrible, but I hated the limited equipment space, the worst trade system I've ever dealt with, and the maps you explored resetting constantly. Things that Diablo improved and/or started with before POE came out, IMO.

this might be the most tepid assessment of POE that I’ve ever seen lol 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Diablo IV - Information Thread, update: "Season of the Construct" announcement trailer (January 23)
On 1/23/2024 at 4:50 PM, Remarkableriots said:

What are the odds of this ever being released on PS+ free monthly?

I wouldn't count it out, but keep an eye on Game Pass. Because there's no way MS would release it on PS+ first. Once it hits GP, then the possibility of it coming to PS+ gets more real.