Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Constitutionally he has to receive 270 EVs or his presidency ends Jan. 20th regardless, and then either Joe Biden or the Speaker of the house which is likely to be Pelosi again will be president.

And if Trump refutes the validity of the election results?

Oh, it goes to congress to resolve it? Well, then!

?m=02&d=20201030&t=2&i=1539401979&r=LYNX
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Between playing President Donald Trump in Democratic candidate Joe Biden's debate preparation and helping to vet Kamala Harris as his running mate, battle-tested election attorney Bob Bauer has been at the center of Biden's presidential campaign.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:
?m=02&d=20201030&t=2&i=1539401979&r=LYNX
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Between playing President Donald Trump in Democratic candidate Joe Biden's debate preparation and helping to vet Kamala Harris as his running mate, battle-tested election attorney Bob Bauer has been at the center of Biden's...

Now, days before Tuesday’s election, he is focused on the end game: advising an army of lawyers who are monitoring early voting and preparing for the Trump-Biden showdown. They are working to ensure voter access, combating disinformation and voter intimidation, and preparing for attacks on the legitimacy of the vote. Republican Trump has deployed his own coalition of lawyers to tackle election disputes.

See? This is the type of article and answers I’ve been asking for. 

7 hours ago, Massdriver said:

The shy Trump voter strikes again, but this time even worse. The shy Trump voter is just not showing up in the internet vs phone polling data (you would expect to see more Trump support in Internet polls), so I’m not worried. But there is a real risk of polling error with the record turn out, virus, and mail in ballots. I think Biden will win, but I’m still prepared for a Trump victory and won’t be surprised. 

edited 

This.

Let’s go down as the CEB’s indefatigable worriers together.

If nothing else, there’s something scary about seeing so much certainty about Trump’s demise just before the election.  I mean, the posters at 538 are close to popping the champagne already; if Trump wins their heads are going to collectively explode and Nate’s sight is going to crash.  I can’t help but worry the weird dynamics of an election happening in a pandemic aren’t overstating Democrats’ chances through the early voting numbers.

For that matter, I’ve never experienced an election where so many people on both sides of the aisle have already convinced themselves that if they lose, it’s because of fraud.  Trump has managed to mainstream this view to many otherwise rational Republicans, and GOP voter suppression efforts have sold it to many Democrats who would otherwise be skeptical.  I feel like we’re going to see a lot of unrest no matter who wins.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

This.

If nothing else, there’s something scary about seeing so much certainty about Trump’s demise just before the election.  I mean, the posters at 538 are close to popping the champagne already; if Trump wins their heads are going to collectively explode and Nate’s sight is going to crash.  I can’t help but worry the weird dynamics of an election happening in a pandemic aren’t overstating Democrats’ chances through the early voting numbers.

For that matter, I’ve never experienced an election where so many people on both sides of the aisle have already convinced themselves that if they lose, it’s because of fraud.  Trump has managed to mainstream this view to many otherwise rational Republicans, and GOP voter suppression efforts have sold it to many Democrats who would otherwise be skeptical.  I feel like we’re going to see a lot of unrest no matter who wins.

The likelihood of Trump actually winning this election is very low. I'm not concerned about "shy Trump voters", and I don't believe most should be. The pollsters adjusted their metrics greatly after 2016 for these "shy" voters and for people just straight-up lying to pollsters. The concern should be in what comes after election night; how the GOP and Trump handle conceding. 

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Posting polls is popping the champagne, now.

I don’t mean the articles, they’re fine; and I don’t mean Nate himself or the contributors.  I mean the commenters on the articles, many of which are regulars, and many of whom are quite thoughtful and intelligent.  They’re convinced it’s all but over.  

54 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

This.

I don't think many people outside of a Trump's most ardent supporters are worried about actual voter fraud. The issue here is that Trump believes his own bullshit and so he's fighting made up voter fraud with litigation presented before a very packed conservative court to just throw out votes for whatever random reasons they can think of. Literally having judges change voting laws AFTER hundreds of thousands and millions have already voted, potentially leading to their ballots being thrown out. They're stopping counties from counting voted early and then also forcing them to stop counting them at midnight.

Thisis stuff they're already doing in public. Then there's the drastic stuff they're saying they'll do if the numbers don't come out on their side. We can be dismissive and just assume they'll never take such drastic measures, but they've already done everything they've said they'd do. I just don't see why anyone shouldn't be worried that they'll continue to do what they're warning us they want to do.

• Thanks 1

Dems are ramping up turnout efforts in Miami-Dade County. Broward's actually doing well, but they have many groups and Kamala Harris working to fire up the registered Dems, especially many black Democrats in South Florida. 

201029-miami-voting-ap-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Party officials in Florida’s most populous county are sweating weak early voting turnout among several key groups.

To date, Republicans have turned out 59 percent of their voters in Miami-Dade and Democrats have turned out 53 percent, a 6-point margin. That’s twice the margin Republicans had at this point in 2016.

Among Hispanic voters, who make up nearly 70 percent of the county’s population, the deficit is even bigger — 9 points.

“Democrats have a big turnout issue in the Hispanic community in Miami-Dade,” said Florida-based Democratic data analyst Matt Isbell. “Hispanic Democrat turnout is only 48% while the Republican Hispanics are at 57%. This large of a gap doesn't exist in Broward or Orange. It is a Miami problem.”

Polling of Florida’s Hispanics has been all over the board. A Mason-Dixon poll conducted for Telemundo and released Thursday showed Biden leading Trump 48-43 percent among Florida Hispanics, a margin that could be disastrous for Democrats.

A Univision poll released one day earlier painted a different picture: It showed Biden faring much better among Florida Hispanic voters, leading Trump by 20 points, 57 to 37 percent.

“I would rather be in our position than theirs,” said Joshua Geise, Florida director for America Votes, an independent organization coordinating with 50 groups on the ground to turn out voters for Biden.

Geise acknowledged some of the turnout issues in Miami-Dade and said his group ramped up in the past week and had 100,000 conversations at people’s doors in the county, a third of all the face-to-face interactions they had in the entire state. He said Democrats will make a huge push this weekend to halt the Republican gains in early voting.

Steve Simeonidis, Miami-Dade's Democratic Party chair, contended the GOP is running out of voters and Democrats have far more — and they are just beginning to turn out. Considering how independents are breaking, he said, "we’re going to continue building on our lead down here and if we keep working, we will have more record Democratic turnout on Sunday and Tuesday."

Braynon, the Miami state senator, said that Biden isn’t doing as well as Clinton because the Clintons had a special “bond” with the region that was built over decades.

Florida, where winning by 2 - 4 is a landslide here. Lots of Democratic groups are running ads and on the ground here. I'm amazed at the hours they put in.

Florida is going to be close, which even the polls showing Biden in the lead show. From what I'm seeing from all the FL Dem people, they're not panicking, but they're on overdrive and ignoring all positive polls.

45 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't think many people outside of a Trump's most ardent supporters are worried about actual voter fraud. The issue here is that Trump believes his own bullshit and so he's fighting made up voter fraud with litigation presented before a very packed conservative court to just throw out votes for whatever random reasons they can think of. Literally having judges change voting laws AFTER hundreds of thousands and millions have already voted, potentially leading to their ballots being thrown out. They're stopping counties from counting voted early and then also forcing them to stop counting them at midnight.

Here's the rub:  it's not that the actual voting laws are being "changed" by the court rulings - it's that they're being being "enforced".

Pretty much everything that's being challenged  involves "emergency orders" from either the Secretaries of State or courts that were implemented outside of the actual laws passed by the state legislatures.

If anyone else is interested in signing up to assist the MN DFL for voter education after last night's court ruling:

Winnesota%20Flash%20GIF_2020102516351308
WWW.MOBILIZE.US

Come help us elect DFLers up and down the ticket by making sure all of your neighbors vote in this historic election. Please join us for making phone calls across the state. We are hosting these events now through the election! Minnesota is essential to the Midwest going blue. Sign up to make calls to strengthen our DFL community. When you sign up, you will receive the information on how to join the training and phonebank and any other information you...

• Thanks 1

For doing the same thing for Pennsylvania:

Mobilize_GOTV_20200919212805106787.png?w
WWW.MOBILIZE.US

Don’t live in PA? No worries! Join us from the comfort of your home for a virtual phone bank using our predictive dialer tool to talk with voters about how and when to vote to elect Joe Biden and Pennsylvania Democrats up and down the ballot! Right now, you can help us Get Out the Vote from home by having effective conversations with voters on the phone. We need you to help us get the word out to make sure Democrats can have their voices heard. ...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Here's the rub:  it's not that the actual voting laws are being "changed" by the court rulings - it's that they're being being "enforced".

Pretty much everything that's being challenged  involves "emergency orders" from either the Secretaries of State or courts that were implemented outside of the actual laws passed by the state legislatures.

Largely this, but...don't overestimate the knowledge of the law that these conservative jurists have, looking specifically at kavs wisconsin opinion and how it completely misrepresented the laws of vermont

13 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I know we all know, but just a quick reminder that even if Trump is absolutely obliterated on Tuesday, he’s still president for another 3 months.

And I fully expect him to go out middle fingers guns blazing.

I’ve been expecting this too. Donald going on a “well fuck you too, America!” campaign to break stuff as fast as he can, while trying to get immunity for everything he’s ever done, ever. 

18 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I cannot wait for the SCOTUS to order/allow recounts in a state they over turned an extension to count votes. 

9 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

For doing the same thing for Pennsylvania:

Mobilize_GOTV_20200919212805106787.png?w
WWW.MOBILIZE.US

Don’t live in PA? No worries! Join us from the comfort of your home for a virtual phone bank using our predictive dialer tool to talk with voters about how and when to vote to elect Joe Biden and Pennsylvania Democrats up and down the ballot! Right now, you can help us Get Out the...

Its early so I read as back the blue and laughed

1030_POLLA-16x9-1.png?w=575
FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

Welcome to Pollapalooza, our weekly polling roundup. Poll(s) of the week American voters are fired up to cast their ballots. And many already have, in record nu…

Mehta.Pollapalooza.1030-2.png?w=575

"Speaking of young people, a survey of about 2,000 18- to 29-year-olds from the Harvard Kennedy School Institute of Politics found that the level of enthusiasm to vote among that demographic was about 16 percentage points higher than it was in 2016. In fact, this level of enthusiasm mirrored what Harvard found in 2008. Respondents were also asked about whether their opportunities to succeed were better than their parents’ generation, and responses were split, with 36 percent saying they were better, 34 percent saying they were worse, and 29 percent saying their opportunities were about the same."

Donald being a baby:

29election-briefing-minnesota-videoSixte
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

President Trump canceled plans to appear at Trump International Hotel for an election night party. New coronavirus infections are surging across the country, including in battleground states, adding yet another level of uncertainty to the heated contest.

President Trump has called off plans to appear at the Trump International Hotel on election night and is likely to be at the White House instead, according to a person familiar with the plans.

Advisers had said privately that Mr. Trump was going to appear at his namesake hotel in Washington for an election night party for which his campaign had sent out multiple fund-raising solicitations to his supporters.