Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

Sure, if you think particle board and wooden nails are going to keep out liquored up, pissed off 300 pound buffalo in red hats.

I've always wondered if, in such a situation, the boards and nails are truly keeping anyone out that wants to get in? It's like that one small lock on your front door ain't keeping anyone out, but it "feels" safe?

I do grant Dollar Store nails and boards ain't keeping out anything though. I am intrigued by these wooden nails, however. :lol:

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ughhhhhhh. I refused to post for months, deciding to give up on D1P entirely, and I'd been good just being a lurker. I have not been missed, so the decision was a good one. Been following the posts on this board closely, as I always have, in the interim.

But to suggestion Trump won't try every single thing at his disposal once he loses the election (yep, I think he will lose), absent a Biden landslide, is hilarious. The only question to be asked is, once Biden wins the election, will any or all of Trump's post election chicanery succeed?

It's a legitimate question, one we'll likely face, and it's efficacy will entirely depend on the gap between the two candidates in the election (in terms of electoral college moreso than popular vote). To say it's not a real worry is ignorant. To say it's not worth covering the stream of news every day from the GOP about their chicanery is blind ignorance at that. Stop belittling the posters/users who have legitimate fears. It's tiring? Oh, is it tiring to doompost all the time? Is it?

Guess what. I have 4 years of evidence that back up the doomsaying regarding Trump. All you have is hope in the systems holding back a man that hasn't been held back by those very same systems (for the most part) until this point. But sure, it's all hunky dory. 

Stop condescending to those whose worries are legit. It's all based in GOP news and evidence. You can question whether they can pull it off, but you can't question Trump and co. will almost certainly try as hard as possible to pull it off. And that is frightening. And we get updates every day about some new underhanded tactic, which is why it keeps coming up in this thread. Because new shit keeps coming out, so it requires constant redress.

I know me, my posts, and my opinions have become even more pretentious and obsolete, so I am happy to fuck off as I have been, but it's almost insane as a person who follows news so closely to dismiss the constant flood of news of Trump and GOP trying to fuck with the election.

I’ve missed you, baby. Come back to daddy? :( 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ughhhhhhh. I refused to post for months, deciding to give up on D1P entirely, and I'd been good just being a lurker. I have not been missed, so the decision was a good one. Been following the posts on this board closely, as I always have, in the interim.

But to suggestion Trump won't try every single thing at his disposal once he loses the election (yep, I think he will lose), absent a Biden landslide, is hilarious. The only question to be asked is, once Biden wins the election, will any or all of Trump's post election chicanery succeed?

It's a legitimate question, one we'll likely face, and it's efficacy will entirely depend on the gap between the two candidates in the election (in terms of electoral college moreso than popular vote). To say it's not a real worry is ignorant. To say it's not worth covering the stream of news every day from the GOP about their chicanery is blind ignorance at that. Stop belittling the posters/users who have legitimate fears. It's tiring? Oh, is it tiring to doompost all the time? Is it?

Guess what. I have 4 years of evidence that back up the doomsaying regarding Trump. All you have is hope in the systems holding back a man that hasn't been held back by those very same systems (for the most part) until this point. But sure, it's all hunky dory. 

Stop condescending to those whose worries are legit. It's all based in GOP news and evidence. You can question whether they can pull it off, but you can't question Trump and co. will almost certainly try as hard as possible to pull it off. And that is frightening. And we get updates every day about some new underhanded tactic, which is why it keeps coming up in this thread. Because new shit keeps coming out, so it requires constant redress.

I know me, my posts, and my opinions have become even more pretentious and obsolete, so I am happy to fuck off as I have been, but it's almost insane as a person who follows news so closely to dismiss the constant flood of news of Trump and GOP trying to fuck with the election.

1. The dismissal isn’t of concern generally of election shenanigans, it’s if the fantastical notions of how these things can happen outside of actual mechanisms to do so and ignoring where the protective mechanisms that do exist are mostly getting it right.

2. You know I love you, pretension and all. Nobody gets me and that’s fine 😂

3. I still look forward to the post Covid day when you and I share a meal together in your city or mine ❤️

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

1. The dismissal isn’t of concern generally of election shenanigans, it’s if the fantastical notions of how these things can happen outside of actual mechanisms to do so and ignoring where the protective mechanisms that do exist are mostly getting it right.

2. You know I love you, pretension and all. Nobody gets me and that’s fine 😂

3. I still look forward to the post Covid day when you and I share a meal together in your city or mine ❤️

Thanks for the kind words. It would be awesome to meet! Texas is being better than PA right now (in terms of electorate), disgusting, PA should be ashamed. :p 

1. While I agree with your general sentiment, Trump has proven mechanisms don't matter (from previous things, like the Muslim ban, Covid handling, etc.). The protective mechanisms are weak, Trump doesn't care, and the GOP side with Trump over mechanisms, typically. It's not fantastical to assume that once Biden wins the election, there will be shenanigans, and they will be surprisingly more effective than you currently grant, I think. You have more of a belief in the system and the government than I do (that's been my sense), so that's where I think it's coming from. But I've been distrustful of government since Bush stole the election when I was 14 due to Bush v. Gore. I'm 33 now. Fool me once . . . shame on me. Fool me twice . . . can't get fooled again. :p 

2. That's actually a really nice way to look at it. I'll try that going forward. :)

3. Yes. This. That would be awesome. I would love to patron one of your drive-ins (or actual theaters, if Covid ends and that's a thing again). We sometimes disagree, but you're a great user, well reasoned! Pedantic, but so am I!

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You’ve yet to name these definitive protective mechanisms. You also continue to misrepresent the argument as being people claiming the SCOTUS magically declares Trump god-king: that’s not what’s being said at all.

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I elaborated as to the same in my post above yours as well. :) 

I saw :sun:

I’ve been bringing it up a lot lately, but only because the dismissiveness and name calling to those with concerns is just flat-out insulting. I get that some are certainly being hyperbolic with said concerns, but to act like having ANY concerns what-so-over makes one inferior in some way is baffling. I have concerns, but I also recognize and have stated that they are (hopefully) unlikely to occur, BUT, it’s in the back of my head, and with good reason.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You’ve yet to name these definitive protective mechanisms. You also continue to misrepresent the argument as being people claiming the SCOTUS magically declares Trump god-king: that’s not what’s being said at all.

SCOTUS, I pointed this out already. They are already correctly ruling that ballots postmarked by Tuesday should be counted according to state law.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

SCOTUS, I pointed this out already. They are already correctly ruling that ballots postmarked by Tuesday should be counted according to state law.

And as I’ve already pointed out

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

They haven’t ruled on what’s being discussed lol

11 minutes ago, legend said:

I would like to pile onto the "please come back @Greatoneshere " train :batting:

You might be one of the most respected users in my Rolodex (not real). I don't think I deserve it (truly), but I'll start at the Politics and Movies boards again and give it a shot. I wasn't trying to attention grab, I really have been gone for nearly two months and felt that was better for everyone. But if people want my particular brand of aggression, logic, and snark, then why not! Thanks @legend:hug:

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I saw :sun:

I’ve been bringing it up a lot lately, but only because the dismissiveness and name calling to those with concerns is just flat-out insulting. I get that some are certainly being hyperbolic with said concerns, but to act like having ANY concerns what-so-over makes one inferior in some way is baffling. I have concerns, but I also recognize and have stated that they are (hopefully) unlikely to occur, BUT, it’s in the back of my head, and with good reason.

As a person who has been lurking this board for 2 months now, there definitely seems to be a silencing campaign (accidental in nature, of course). New news comes out every day about the GOP stealing the election. It is not weird to be worried. What's weird is peoples' dismissiveness or saying: "it's not worth talking about any longer, only polls". It's news about the election. New news! Constantly. That's why it requires constant redress. It's crazier to me to be dismissive than acknowledge it.

Just now, sblfilms said:

You skipped my response you bastard! :p 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

1. While I agree with your general sentiment, Trump has proven mechanisms don't matter (from previous things, like the Muslim ban, Covid handling, etc.). The protective mechanisms are weak, Trump doesn't care, and the GOP side with Trump over mechanisms, typically. It's not fantastical to assume that once Biden wins the election, there will be shenanigans, and they will be surprisingly more effective than you currently grant, I think. You have more of a belief in the system and the government than I do (that's been my sense), so that's where I think it's coming from. But I've been distrustful of government since Bush stole the election when I was 14 due to Bush v. Gore. I'm 33 now. Fool me once . . . shame on me. Fool me twice . . . can't get fooled again. :p 

As I just noted to Spork, SCOTUS is already ruling in favor of counting ballots past the Election Day. That is already happening. So this is the same group that will all of the sudden change course to hand the election to Trump and the GOP. What are they waiting for, they could already be helping his chances with the cases that have been heard this week!

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

And as I’ve already pointed out

If SCOTUS is going to rule in some crazy way to protect Trump, why are they currently ruling in a way that hurts Trump and the GOP by guaranteeing more ballots are counted?

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

As I just noted to Spork, SCOTUS is already ruling in favor of counting ballots past the Election Day. That is already happening. So this is the same group that will all of the sudden change course to hand the election to Trump and the GOP. What are they waiting for, they could already be helping his chances with the cases that have been heard this week!

They're waiting for Nov. 3rd/Nov. 4th. Surely you can't be so naive as to think it's not possible? Sure, they're ruling that way now. ACB just took the court. Wait until Nov. 4th. You have to stop trusting in institutions my man. They have betrayed us for awhile.

Not saying SCOTUS will definitely do it, but Kavanaugh's false opinion and ACB's evasiveness during confirmation hearings is evidence of worry, no? And they aren't ruling correctly on every voting rule, btw (Kavanaugh's incorrect citation of Vermont law being a clear example). I mean, in an unprecedented move, ACB was on the White House balcony with Trump. proving partisanship when she got the seat. I mean . . . C'MON! Are you suggesting there aren't many clues leading to the worries? :p 

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

So are we setting anything up to make sure we call marioandsonic every 30 minutes to make sure everything is okay on Tuesday?

If the nightmare scenario happens, my advice to @marioandsonic is....

1. If Trump wins that means the GOP almost certainly retained the Senate, but there's a good chance Dems keep the House. People don't point out enough that means we would basically be replaying 2018, not 2016. Yeah, we'll have to put up with Trump for 4 more years, but Dems will still have some control of the agenda.

2. Just tune out of politics for a while. As long as you need to. While it is absolutely important for people to stay engaged, it is not necessary to destroy your own mental health by participating in what is basically Donald Trump mentally abusing the entire country every day.

For myself, for a variety of reasons I felt compelled after 2016 to stay totally engaged. Log every horrible thing Trump has done in my mind. For lots of reasons, but simply put I felt Trump managed to sneak his way in because of complacency. I was damned if I was going to play any small part in that happening again.

If he gets re-elected I plan to take my own advice. Good chance you guys won't see much of me around here for a long time. Especially on the CEB. Partially because I just can not do this again, but also because it won't be a fluke this time. People should know better. This election shouldn't even be close enough for Trump or SCOTUS to steal. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If SCOTUS is going to rule in some crazy way to protect Trump, why are they currently ruling in a way that hurts Trump and the GOP by guaranteeing more ballots are counted?

I never said they’d rule to protect Trump, especially not in the way you’ve been presenting it. I stated:

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It gives time to refute them, delegitimize them, and call them into question. Trump’s game-plan is likely to prevent a legally unambiguous win for Biden, call into question the election’s legitimacy, prevent the formation of a consensus as to whether there is any election outcome at all, and potentially seize onto that uncertainty to hold onto power.

I haven’t brought up SCOTUS at all in this conversation, you’ve been, in addition to making assumptions on my purposefully vague “potentially seize onto that uncertainty to hold onto power” statement as to the “how” of it. I will say the concern others are having in regards to SCOTUS is them allowing the electors to vote on their own by the election results “not being valid due to fraud” or some other such nonsense. Do I find this likely? I said SO MANY times now that I do not, however, the concern is also not unfounded.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I never said they’d rule to protect Trump, especially not in the way you’ve been presenting it. I stated:

I haven’t brought up SCOTUS at all in this conversation, you’ve been, in addition to making assumptions on my purposefully vague “potentially seize onto that uncertainty to hold onto power” statement as to the “how” of it. I will say the concern others are having in regards to SCOTUS is them allowing the electors to vote on their own by the election results “not being valid due to fraud” or some other such nonsense. Do I find this likely? I said SO MANY times now that I do not, however, the concern is also not unfounded.

you just brought them up!!

GIF by Giphy QA

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

As a person who has been lurking this board for 2 months now, there definitely seems to be a silencing campaign (accidental in nature, of course). New news comes out every day about the GOP stealing the election. It is not weird to be worried. What's weird is peoples' dismissiveness or saying: "it's not worth talking about any longer, only polls". It's news about the election. New news! Constantly. That's why it requires constant redress. It's crazier to me to be dismissive than acknowledge it.

As someone else who only lurks (to an unhealthy degree), I can't say I've really seen evidence of any sort of "silencing campaign". If anything, people otherwise saying "No matter what, Trump will probably remain president (somehow)" seem to be in a majority. If not, they're quite vocal. 

This place has been very dramatic, and I almost feel like some users thrive off the chaos. "Nothing matters!" seems to have been the unofficial slogan of this board for at least the past year. It can become overwhelming, and without calling anyone out personally, it does seem to be impacting some users negatively. 

I think everyone is wary of what Trump might try to pull, but until it happens it's not "news", it's wild speculation.... and it's been speculated, constantly. If anything, I'd say it's harder to be optimistic about a Biden win around here. I, personally, don't see what good it does to "constantly redress" when the only purpose it serves it to cause anxiety. 

But hey, what the hell do I know? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Squeesnightmare said:

As someone else who only lurks (to an unhealthy degree), I can't say I've really seen evidence of any sort of "silencing campaign". If anything, people otherwise saying "No matter what, Trump will probably remain president (somehow)" seem to be in a majority. If not, they're quite vocal. 

This place has been very dramatic, and I almost feel like some users thrive off the chaos. "Nothing matters!" seems to have been the unofficial slogan of this board for at least the past year. It can become overwhelming, and without calling anyone out personally, it does seem to be impacting some users negatively. 

I think everyone is wary of what Trump might try to pull, but until it happens it's not "news", it's wild speculation.... and it's been speculated, constantly. If anything, I'd say it's harder to be optimistic about a Biden win around here. I, personally, don't see what good it does to "constantly redress" when the only purpose it serves it to cause anxiety. 

Not a silencing campaign that's intentional. Almost every user here argues and debates in good faith, I think. But, in multiple threads I keep seeing: "stop the doomsaying, it's tiring" or "Trump isn't just going to run away with the election". First of all, I haven't seen that post. I've seen more nuanced posts like it, but that's not the same thing. But I do agree, we're quite vocal. Shouldn't we be? We're trying to wake people up. Democracy is on the line. So I don't disagree there.

Where I do disagree is "nothing matters!" is mostly accurate. As a lawyer once upon a time who now works in business, I've been almost horrified by simply how much most of the American people and government really don't give a shit about anything. I recently asked my Indian Hindu sister-in-law from New Jersey who RBG was, and she didn't fucking know. Nothing does matter. It may be overwhelming, but the first step to fixing a problem is acknowledging the problem and its severity. As a die hard political nerd since 5th grade with, among other things, a political science degree (meaningless, I know, but you do know politics at the end of it), it has been almost astonishing how little much of what I thought were protections in government didn't work. So it's not crazy to say, obsequesly, "nothing matters".

It's not "wild speculation" and he's not pulling it later. Wake up bru, he's pulling it now. When we post things like: "Texas GOP governor only allows one ballot box per county", that's per orders of Trump and the GOP and isn't something happening later, it's happening now. Sure, that may not stop Biden winning, but this is a multi-step process. We'll get to the more dramatic measures as they're called for. Point is, it's not meant to cause anxiety. If @SaysWho? posts a post about a negative Biden poll (the rare one there is), is that posted just to cause anxiety? There's new news every day about a new GOP underhanded tactic - us posting it and discussing it here and then remarking: "this is another step in Trump trying to win the election" is reasonable and the same as posting updates about polls, no matter how fucking tiring it may be for some of you. Acknowledging reality is tiring - that's just how it is. 

You're smart, you know a lot bru. That post was good. Love it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, osxmatt said:

If there’s one takeaway from the Trump years, it’s the executive has far too much unchecked power and many of the “institutions checks” are based largely on norms and customs, that the GOP no longer plays by.

tl;dr our system is f’d

Boom. This post. We're done here. My hope vs. this is our system is fucked, but with Biden we can begin the long road to recovery.

In the end, despite all evidence, I believe in humanity.

I'll end up disappointed, but hey, I want to contribute a positive mindset, ultimately. :p 

11 minutes ago, Squeesnightmare said:

A new user approaches! And he's really freakin' good!