Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

They haven’t ruled on what’s being discussed lol

What is being discussed is insane, especially given the rulings that they are handing down.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s insane to have concerns that Trump is going to do what he’s been saying and setting up to do?

Yes, when the thing he wants to do he can't effectuate.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

And why can’t it be? What laws prevent it from being completely out of the realm of any possibility?

You don't need laws when there is no mechanism to do the thing you are describing. 

If you're not seriously concerned about unprecedented chicanery from an extremely reactionary court system then I'm sorry you're out of your goddamn mind

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

This is the thing here. The most likely scenario as I see it now is that these and other mail in ballots are going to be litigated until a few days before the December deadline set by congress. Then an injunction against further counting will come down, then on/after the deadline set by congress, the court will throw it's hands up and say well shucks, too bad, nothing to do now you can only use the counts from in person/on election day. Very similar playbook as bush v gore.

55 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It gives time to refute them, delegitimize them, and call them into question. Trump’s game-plan is likely to prevent a legally unambiguous win for Biden, call into question the election’s legitimacy, prevent the formation of a consensus as to whether there is any election outcome at all, and potentially seize onto that uncertainty to hold onto power.

This one, where he magically holds on to power at the end. There is no mechanism to hold on to power while doing these things.

What mechanism prevents it?

You don't need a mechanism to prevent something when there is no mechanism to do it in the first place. That's the entire point here. Trump has no mechanism to effectuate this holding on to power by delegitimizing the vote.

51 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This board, man :lol:

Fight the good fight @PaladinSolo

I lost the energy so long ago. There's no point regurgitating the same fears over and over and over and over and over. The conversation doesn't change, so why relitigate it here?

I'm this close to making an ***OFFICIAL THEORIES ABOUT BAD THINGS HAPPENING AFTER ELECTION DAY*** thread so people can expend their energy fearing something not guaranteed to happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, sblfilms said:

You don't need a mechanism to prevent something when there is no mechanism to do it in the first place.

So, there’s nothing stopping it besides norms and precedents. :p 
There’s obviously a missing link in the post you quoted prior to “hold onto power”, it doesn’t just happen from creating uncertainty, obviously.

Of course it’s not guaranteed to happen, and I don’t 100% believe it even will. I’m only arguing that the concern is not illegitimate.

I'm saying there's no point in continuing to talk about it here. There's no point in worrying about something that's not even a guarantee to occur; it makes more sense to talk about this if there's actually shenanigans to talk about.

It's Groundhog's Day ITT every time we talk about SCOTUS and the election.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm saying there's no point in continuing to talk about it here. There's no point in worrying about something that's not even a guarantee to occur; it makes more sense to talk about this if there's actually shenanigans to talk about.

Which is why I pointed out that SCOTUS just ruled twice in a row the correct way, but suddenly we will make a leap from properly counting the ballots to SCOTUS giving Trump the win by fiat alone. Insanity. 

I'm getting back to just straight election news. I love y'all, but as I've said so many times, this is just exhausting to talk about ad nauseum. In 2016, it did end up sucking wind, but all the time I wasted being anxious the 10 days after the Comey letter was time I could have spent just doing shit and not worrying about something out of my control.

If you're nervous, do what Wade's doing and volunteer and forget about the what ifs on Election Day. I admire that he thinks bad shit's gonna happen but that he's getting out there to make a difference, you know?

12 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Of course it’s not helpful, but it’s also not helpful to call people insane for having the concern. 

There’s people itt thread acting like it’s 100% impossible and anyone who thinks otherwise is out of their mind, then there’s people itt on the exact opposite thinking that this is guaranteed to happen and we’re all doomed no matter what happens in the election.
There’s a middle ground that, IMO, is the most sane: know the election matters, listen to the polls, but keep an eye on what the GOP/Trump do and say. Am I saying that some unprecedented BS is guaranteed to happen? No, of course not - I’m saying that a worry of potential attempts is valid. You can be concerned, but also not have it overwhelm you, and writing it off completely is potentially just as bad.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

The problem I keep running into when I search for things to calm my concerns is that mostly everything seems to be unwritten norms and/or precedents. Show me I’m wrong. Please, I want actual laws and safeguards.

Hell it's not like GWB by most accounts would have lost to Gore had there been a proper recount.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Of course it’s not helpful, but it’s also not helpful to call people insane for having the concern. 

There’s people itt thread acting like it’s 100% impossible and anyone who thinks otherwise is out of their mind, then there’s people itt on the exact opposite thinking that this is guaranteed to happen and we’re all doomed no matter what happens in the election.
There’s a middle ground that, IMO, is the most sane: know the election matters, listen to the polls, but keep an eye on what the GOP/Trump do and say. Am I saying that some unprecedented BS is guaranteed to happen? No, of course not - I’m saying that a worry of potential attempts is valid. You can be concerned, but also not have it overwhelm you. 

This, and the fact of the matter is that if the margin by Biden is large enough for this nonsense to not make a difference then it's not exactly reassuring for closer elections, as are historically more likely to occur or for the very close Senate races that are happening

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Which is why I pointed out that SCOTUS just ruled twice in a row the correct way, but suddenly we will make a leap from properly counting the ballots to SCOTUS giving Trump the win by fiat alone. Insanity. 

Yea, that’s not what’s being said, at least not by me.

The fatal flaw off the Dems in Florida 2000 with the recount is they pushed the state to only focus on areas where they knew they could make up lots of ground. It's only when you go to a full state recount that any scenario occurs where Gore picks up enough votes to go over the top. Once the GOP figured out that the smaller recount wouldn't get the results the Dems needed, they leaned hard into keep the limited scope of the recount.