Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

9 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

No?  There are largely no "loopholes" to exploit.  They're exploiting an angry mob and essentially thumbing their nose at literal, actual established law.  What can you possibly do to people who don't actually give a fuck about the law itself?  

I don't think that's necessarily an accurate take. There are loopholes that Trump is begging for people to use. There really isn't anything keeping legislatures in many states from just appointing faithless electors. Only 14 states actually have laws guaranteeing that the winner of the election... wins the election. There isn't *technically* a law that says Trump can't pardon himself, etc.

Trump has attempted to exploit the system in ways that people have never tried before, and in doing so has shown that a lot of our laws regarding things like transfer of power aren't really laws at all, just gentlemen's agreements. It seems like his whole presidency has seen something that made you go "... wait, they can do that?"

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Hold up a damn minute.

I put a lot of work for two years posting every update imaginable and going through a list of 7 quadrillion candidates for this to be nuked due to immaturity. Hell no. :angry:

I was sad your election night thread was merged into this because it would have been an awesome separate thread. I'm just anti-mega threads I guess.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Good tweet thread:

Tbh I associate this board with the really bad ACA predictions of 2012.

Pre ruling: SCOTUS will strike the ACA down based on how bad the hearings went and that's gonna hurt Obama.

Post ruling: Upholding the law is going to galvanize conservatives and that's gonna hurt Obama.

:P 

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't think that's necessarily an accurate take. There are loopholes that Trump is begging for people to use. There really isn't anything keeping legislatures in many states from just appointing faithless electors. Only 14 states actually have laws guaranteeing that the winner of the election... wins the election. There isn't *technically* a law that says Trump can't pardon himself, etc.

Trump has attempted to exploit the system in ways that people have never tried before, and in doing so has shown that a lot of our laws regarding things like transfer of power aren't really laws at all, just gentlemen's agreements. It seems like his whole presidency has seen something that made you go "... wait, they can do that?"

Yes, in the micro sense you're correct.  In the macro sense, it's far more confusing.  The larger picture here is that the majority of elected republicans are perfectly happy to go along and with full throatedly support a narrative that they absolutely know is 100% bullshit.  So laws get put on the books.  So what?  A republican state can just get rid of those laws if they're inconvenient.  Depending on what the supreme court says in regards to the standing of the Texas AG case, apparently any state can sue any other state the second they change their election laws.  Oh, California expanded mail in voting?  Alabama doesn't like that one but, let's bring it to the supreme court.  Trump can't pardon himself?  Even if that shit was on the books and he did it, who the fuck is going to stop him?  There are countless examples from the last four years of things that were actually on the books that got brushed aside and nothing happened at all.  

We've all known this on all levels for a while.  What's on the books doesn't matter for shit if the people that wield the hammer sit idly by.  Unless you can convince those that hold the power to actually use it when it needs to be used, those are words on paper.  Republicans largely hold the power.  People keep saying the reason this didn't work is because it wasn't close this time.  That's bullshit.  The reason it didn't work is because the people that hold the power fucking loathe Trump behind closed doors and would rather be done with him but will happily keep his voters.  

32 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

No?  There are largely no "loopholes" to exploit.  They're exploiting an angry mob and essentially thumbing their nose at literal, actual established law.  What can you possibly do to people who don't actually give a fuck about the law itself?  

Laws with no punishment associated with them are pointless. Punishments that require the cooperation of the Executive to punish itself are pointless. Here's a store. We work on the honor system. Just pay for whatever you take before you leave. However, we won't chase you down if you don't pay. Like, sure, that'll work out mostly fine for the first few days, but the second Trump comes in, grabs all the steaks and laughs at anyone that paid is the second everything else falls apart.

26 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Hold up a damn minute.

I put a lot of work for two years posting every update imaginable and going through a list of 7 quadrillion candidates for this to be nuked due to immaturity. Hell no. :angry:

23 minutes ago, Joe said:

I was sad your election night thread was merged into this because it would have been an awesome separate thread. I'm just anti-mega threads I guess.

Yup, the only thing that should be nuked is the dumbass that merged the threads.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

200110-tom-vilsack-getty-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Progressives and groups representing farmers of color are extremely disappointed that Biden didn’t opt for new leadership at the sprawling department.

1607449960345.jpg
WWW.AXIOS.COM

Austin hasn't been retired from the military for the requisite seven years.

At this rate, I should just toss my hat into the ring.  U could probably get Commerce!

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
200110-tom-vilsack-getty-773.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Progressives and groups representing farmers of color are extremely disappointed that Biden didn’t opt for new leadership at the sprawling department.

1607449960345.jpg
WWW.AXIOS.COM

Austin hasn't been retired from the military for the requisite seven years.

At this rate, I should just toss my hat into the ring.  U could probably get Commerce!

My bold plan is the house rule that the money you typically pay to the bank instead just goes to the center of the board, and when you land on Free Parking, you get it all. I think I have a chance with this kind of vision!

49 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

My bold plan is the house rule that the money you typically pay to the bank instead just goes to the center of the board, and when you land on Free Parking, you get it all. I think I have a chance with this kind of vision!

I know you're just doin a goof, but this shit makes monopoly take for-ev-er