Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

3 hours ago, johnny said:

when TF am i gonna learn alohomora? i looked it up and it said it’s a main quest and i guess i haven’t done that many? i’m sad every time i kill poachers and can’t free the locked up animals : (

The mission for that triggers soon after it becomes fall.

44 minutes ago, atom631 said:

any idea why I cant grow mandrake in the room of requirement? I have a small potting table and bought the seed, but its greyed out. 

where it normally gives you the stats for growth time, mine just has a red exclamation and says “purchased from dogweed and deathcap

If it's giving you that warning, that means you don't have the seed packet. Have you tried going back to dogweed and deathcap to see if it actually triggered the purchase?

20 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

If it's giving you that warning, that means you don't have the seed packet. Have you tried going back to dogweed and deathcap to see if it actually triggered the purchase?

I figured it out. I purchased something to do with mandrakes from the magic neep. not dogweed and desthcap. I got it now. and I also got the last field page I needed bc I hadnt even been there before 

35 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Ok so I unlocked talent points and purchased some for health, spells etc. Are the automatically applied or do I need to equip them into my gear slots? And if so how do I do that?

everything’s been auto applied from what i’ve noticed 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Ok. I agree normal has been perfect for me but I need to be more strategic in my battle I'm on now. Such a great game.

I have peacock now and will be watching hp tonight. I checked it out and it doesn't fit my entire screen when watching. Is that normal?

Glad I'm not the only one that this game made go back and watch these. But I started with Prisoner of Azkaban. Cause it's my favorite. 

I encountered my first glitch that might keep me from being able to 100% the game.  I was doing a treasure vault in the south coast region. The cube for the puzzle was inside a locked crate. I unlocked the crate with alohamora, moved the cube over, then accidentally hit the cube with the wrong spell, which caused the cube to disappear somewhere/glitch through the map.

I decided I'd wait for it to reset, but when I came back later, the cube is once again inside the locked crate, only since I've already taken the padlock off the crate, there's no way to open it anymore.  The cube is stuck inside forever. Unless it fully resets with the padlock on it again or something, but I don't think locks work that way - once something is unlocked, it's always unlocked.

Kind of a bummer. 

edit: hopefully there's an autosave that I can go back to.... I don't think there is, though. 

edit 2: nope. And my last manual save is from like hoooourrs ago.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Biggie said:

Are you guys crafting your own potions or just buying them from vendors?

I've been crafting wiggenweld potions. But it's not easy finding dittany leaves which is one of 2 ingredients you need. 

@stepee I beat the second boss/second trial just by being more strategic but I did have to use 7 healing potions. Game is so fuckin good. I'm level 20 now and it's snowing in the world now. Magical! :daydream:

• Halal 1

I'm going to tackle side quests because all I've really been doing is the main quest. I don't want this game to end. I believe I'm about halfway finished with the main story according to a guide. This is more addicting to me than Ragnarok even though it doesn't have the same polish. This game really surpassed my expectations and that's quite the feat. 

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

How many hours are you in? I'm 16 hours in now.

11 hours in. Level 15. Just got my Room of Requirement. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm going to tackle side quests because all I've really been doing is the main quest. I don't want this game to end. I believe I'm about halfway finished with the main story according to a guide. This is more addicting to me than Ragnarok even though it doesn't have the same polish. This game really surpassed my expectations and that's quite the feat. 

The gameplay loop is so good. I’ve been doing lots of side quests along with throwing in Main quests from time to time. 

• Halal 1

33 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Do you eventually get an upgrade for the broom? Getting that 1:32 time in the time trial is brutal at the moment. I've gotten 1:38 and that was a near perfect run 

Yes, you get an upgrade. You get it at the shop in the one town which i cannot remember the name lol.

1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

Do you eventually get an upgrade for the broom? Getting that 1:32 time in the time trial is brutal at the moment. I've gotten 1:38 and that was a near perfect run 

I don't think it's possible to beat the 1st place time before you can upgrade your broom. I tried like 12 times before I said "fuck it" lol.

I think the best I did was like 1:42 and I didn't see how I could do any better.

22 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

OK.  You guys have convinced me.  I've got to finish up Control as quick as possible, and start this.  I bought it for the wife, but....

It's a game that both of you will whole heartedly enjoy. There is so much charm and fun to be had. If your wife isn't great at games you can put the difficulty down to easy and if that's not easy enough you can select story difficulty. 

You guys will have a lot of fun!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve slowed way down in the last couple days, but that says more about me and my relationship to open world games than it says about the game itself. I get overwhelmed by how many things there are to do and I have a hard time focusing on anything. 

It's not THAT overwhelming. Just focus on the main quest lol. 

• True 1

Just now, best3444 said:

Yea, I definitely need to tackle side quests starting today. 

You want to make sure to do some of them because you unlock new spells. I have so many now! I’m level 20 and 22 hours in and haven’t gotten to the second trial yet!

9.5 hours in, just got the Room of Requirement and my broom, so I'm going to do some exploring now. They really did an amazing job with the atmosphere and all the details in the world. My performance with RT on was mixed. I'd get random drops down to the 30s, sometimes even lower, and then it would jump back up to the 70s or 80s. I turned it off and it's a solid 120. I'll probably try it again after some tweaking or if a patch comes out.

My biggest complaint so far is how the conversations look. We really need to move past the static, two people standing across from each other, camera cuts back and forth style of conversations in games. After playing God of War, Last of Us, and perhaps most directly comparable Forbidden West, it just feels like a relic of a time gone past. It's really been particularly distracting for me in this game because it seems like the lighting isn't consistent between camera angles. This isn't a huge complaint overall, and to be fair there are only a few select games that really do this much better, but I've tasted the future and I'm ready to move on.

Overall though, I'm really enjoying the game. It just has such a great sense of place. It also importantly has a good sense of balance. A balance between exploration and combat, of complexity and simplicity, of ease and difficulty. It's clearly a well tuned game that is packed full of delights big and small. An easy recommendation from me so far.

• Halal 2

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

9.5 hours in, just got the Room of Requirement and my broom, so I'm going to do some exploring now. They really did an amazing job with the atmosphere and all the details in the world. My performance with RT on was mixed. I'd get random drops down to the 30s, sometimes even lower, and then it would jump back up to the 70s or 80s. I turned it off and it's a solid 120. I'll probably try it again after some tweaking or if a patch comes out.

My biggest complaint so far is how the conversations look. We really need to move past the static, two people standing across from each other, camera cuts back and forth style of conversations in games. After playing God of War, Last of Us, and perhaps most directly comparable Forbidden West, it just feels like a relic of a time gone past. It's really been particularly distracting for me in this game because it seems like the lighting isn't consistent between camera angles. This isn't a huge complaint overall, and to be fair there are only a few select games that really do this much better, but I've tasted the future and I'm ready to move on.

Overall though, I'm really enjoying the game. It just has such a great sense of place. It also importantly has a good sense of balance. A balance between exploration and combat, of complexity and simplicity, of ease and difficulty. It's clearly a well tuned game that is packed full of delights big and small. An easy recommendation from me so far.

Yeah that is one thing Horizon really set the bar for in open world games. RT GI would probably fix the issue with lighting changes during camera cuts but ideally there just wouldn’t be any.

Agree with the sense of balance here! I love how I’m always mixing up the kind of activity I’m doing. I may be exploring a dungeon, playing that game with the rolling balls, doing some flight racing, attending class and learning spells, capturing pokémon er creatures, decorating the room ala Animal Crossing, or doing a main mission in its own area, etc.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Shit! Where are you getting most of your side quests? 

They are all over! You need to talk to people that have an icon on the map relative to them, those are usually side quests. I always have a whole bunch of them. Sometimes people send letters with quests. Check your mail at the own box in your room and open the new mai. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

3 hours ago, eventide11 said:

I hit 1:35:67 yesterday with no upgrades and hit a few yellow boosts, so it maybe possible, but it'd have to be absolutely perfect.  I got 1 upgrade and will try again now.

1:32:02 first try with 1 upgrade, and I missed 1 ring, so def much easier with the upgrade.