Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Wife has been talking about wanting to play this game.  She's not much of a gamer, is it easy enough for a non-gamer to pickup?

I think the hardest thing for some non gamers  isn’t just a hard boss fight but simply knowing what to do and where to go. Nobody is going to have those issues with this game. The game tutorials everything so much as well that as long as they aren’t simply adverse to the idea of learning then they should be fine. Combat can probably mostly be button mashed on easy with some dodging and shield usage.

If they hit a difficult boss you could probably just step in and beat it for her and then they could enjoy the other 98% of the game fine on their own.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I think the hardest thing for some non gamers  isn’t just a hard boss fight but simply knowing what to do and where to go. Nobody is going to have those issues with this game. The game tutorials everything so much as well that as long as they aren’t simply adverse to the idea of learning then they should be fine. Combat can probably mostly be button mashed on easy with some dodging and shield usage.

If they hit a difficult boss you could probably just step in and beat it for her and then they could enjoy the other 98% of the game fine on their own.

She has been around gamers, and been in the room for decades of gaming.  So, I think she can manage around the "what's next" portion.

So, sounds like this is a potential one for her.

17 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Wife has been talking about wanting to play this game.  She's not much of a gamer, is it easy enough for a non-gamer to pickup?

Yeah. There’s not only an Easy difficulty but also a “Story” difficulty which I imagine trivializes combat or perhaps removes it entirely, not sure. She should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bjomesphat said:

Yeah. There’s not only an Easy difficulty but also a “Story” difficulty which I imagine trivializes combat or perhaps removes it entirely, not sure. She should be fine. 

I'm sure on story difficulty you can just "pew-pew" your way through the game.  You'd only need the rest of the spells for the puzzles.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

In a tomb now with cool puzzles. I really explored the world for a bit and it's beautiful with things to do. I'm just really impressed. 

Yeah the exploration is superb. I wandered around outside of Hogwarts doing some Main Quest and kept getting side tracked because I would see stuff and say oooohh what’s that and go explore it. 

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There is easy mode and story mode. Difficulty won’t be an issue. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

Level 15 and 12 hours in. I don't like how the main missions are locked forcing you to do side missions.

I've upgraded my broom and have the difficulty back to normal. I've beaten a few trolls and other enemies just fine. I'm not sure why I struggled with the first main boss in the trial. I mean I was close to beating him but just got frustrated.

This game is fuckin massive and will definitely take 30 hours or so to beat. 

I'm not noticing pop-in or any graphical glitches throughout this gigantic world. What an achievement.

I beat a big boss on a side quest when it was Lvl 32 and I was lvl 21.  Died a few times as it'd 1 hit kill me, but managed to beat him timing up the dodges and kiting a bit.

Fun game though, still finding new things and enjoying all of it. Just got off getting the Room of Requirement finally.

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I beat a big boss on a side quest when it was Lvl 32 and I was lvl 21.  Died a few times as it'd 1 hit kill me, but managed to beat him timing up the dodges and kiting a bit.

Fun game though, still finding new things and enjoying all of it. Just got off getting the Room of Requirement finally.

Yea, but you have incredible gaming skills. The room of requirement is p cool.

My biggest graphical pet peeve so far here is that they have so many ray traced reflective surfaces but bodies of water are obviously using SSR which really sticks out compared to the rest (how it basically draws in the light reflection as you turn the camera and makes the edges look weird as ssr does)- I get performance reasons and all that but I think they probably could have added it to the Ultra setting for RT reflections.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

My biggest graphical pet peeve so far here is that they have so many ray traced reflective surfaces but bodies of water are obviously using SSR which really sticks out compared to the rest (how it basically draws in the light reflection as you turn the camera and makes the edges look weird as ssr does)- I get performance reasons and all that but I think they probably could have added it to the Ultra setting for RT reflections.

Poor baby. So spoiled with your fucking ray tracing and gilzillion frames per second. 

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha 1

Ok, jfc this game is amazing! Just when you think you seen everything and understand things completely new mechanics and areas open up. It's the most magical game I've ever played and the visuals and scenery look absolutely beautiful. To add to the fact that the music can give you chills this is a special game. The combat keeps improving over and over as you level and gain talent points. So much to see and do with incredible characters and dialogue.

@stepee On PS5 I'm definitely getting nice raytracing AND the water looks phenomenal. So I can't comprehend what you mean but you are running it at such a high level shit like that will happen probably. 

I'm 20 hours in now and completely blown away.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Don’t get me wrong, that’s in literally almost every game it just stands out cuz everything else is so crazy. I actually feel like the entire press cycle underplayed exactly how impressive this looks. Moving from an interior like Hogwarts which is the most detailed I’ve seen and then without any loading being able to move out into the open world is some good stuff. I can’t think of anything that lets you transition between interiors and exteriors of this scale in real time like that. 

• True 2

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Don’t get me wrong, that’s in literally almost every game it just stands out cuz everything else is so crazy. I actually feel like the entire press cycle underplayed exactly how impressive this looks. Moving from an interior like Hogwarts which is the most detailed I’ve seen and then without any loading being able to move out into the open world is some good stuff. I can’t think of anything that lets you transition between interiors and exteriors of this scale in real time like that. 

EXACTLY. You go from inside a beautiful designed castle straight out to a stunning beautiful world with no loading. And the game is massive with so much detail and activities. I need to calm down lol because I just stopped playing and my jaw was on the floor with it's beauty and gameplay triumphs. 😅 

I do wonder how feasible it would be for WB to buy out JK for the license. It wouldn’t change anything because either way she will just get richer and richer, but I think that way at least people could kinda steal the enjoyment of the IP back from her especially  if they make a point to disavow her views afterwards.

This is obviously going to sell boat loads but you can always sell more, and there is no way  that this game has a lower meta than Horizon FW if JK (or someone equality offensive) isn’t involved. It will likely get snubbed for most GOTY awards which I don’t think would be the case otherwise. Things like that don’t mean it won’t still sell a shit ton but they DO negatively affect the bottom line.

This problem will get worse not better for WB as her views become more and more unacceptable with younger generations. And it will hurt them more so when they are trying to market a product that doesn’t happen to be as particularly great as this one.

I’ve run into a trans and a woman who had a wife thus far. People need to get over it. Obviously the people who poured their lives into this game don’t agree with JK’s opinions. Anyone who misses out on this game is depriving themselves of something special.  

• True 1

One of my favorite mechanics in this game that other RPGs should take note of, you can equip gear for the stat benefits, but choose another piece of gear for the appearance only. This solves the issue (especially in Souls games) of running around looking like a moron because the random assortment of gear you have equipped gives you the best stat boost. 

• True 1

11 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

One of my favorite mechanics in this game that other RPGs should take note of, you can equip gear for the stat benefits, but choose another piece of gear for the appearance only. This solves the issue (especially in Souls games) of running around looking like a moron because the random assortment of gear you have equipped gives you the best stat boost. 

All games should have this, would have been so annoying if this game didn’t because some of the best gear looks really dumb lol

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

there are a few RPGs that do this. Diablo does. they call it transmogrification (transmog)…but its not as simple as HL and it totally should be…in every game. 

19 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Wait……how do you do this? Everytime I press square it says change appearance.