Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Wait……how do you do this? Everytime I press square it says change appearance. 

That’s what you do, you change the appearance of whatever you have equipped and then thats what it will look like while retaining the stats of what you actually have equipped. 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Cyberpunk is the worst at making you run around looking like a doofus just because that’s what all has the best stats. Glad this game handles it right.

Cyberpunk added transmog (colloquial term, short for transmogrification, for using the appearance of one set of gear with the stats of another) in 1.6.

Hogwarts commits a different sin of your gear inventory being stupidly limited for no reason. You can unlock more but it's just bizarre. You start with a measly 20 gear inventory slots, which I fully used up before my first class, which also meant before I accessed my first shop. Really dumb design decision.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

You start with a measly 20 gear inventory slots, which I fully used up before my first class, which also meant before I accessed my first shop. Really dumb design decision.

Yep. I got screwed looting in the first trial because my inventory was full in 2 minutes. 

11 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Your max gear slots is still only something like 38 or 40. It still fills up relatively quickly, although zipping back to Hogsmeade between quests to sell excess gear isn't really a big deal after a while.

It is if I don't want to sell gear!

• True 1

You can still use the appearance of gear even after you destroy/sell it, so unless you're keeping a piece of gear for a specific trait, there's really no reason to hoard.

edit: Not to mention selling gear is pretty much your primary source of income in the game. You don't really find all that much gold just by scrounging. Once you have a potion pipeline in place to brew your own stuff, it's not that big of a deal, but the potting/potion blueprints can be expensive early on.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

You can still use the appearance of gear even after you destroy/sell it, so unless you're keeping a piece of gear for a specific trait, there's really no reason to hoard.

Did not know that. Thanks for the tip! Now selling things isn’t a big deal anymore. 

On 2/11/2023 at 4:12 PM, stepee said:

Meant to answer this earlier, I always go in through mstsc.exe yeah. It’s great on SteamDeck too because you can use the bottom right trackpad as a mouse to navigate in Windows

Something must be wrong with my setup. MSTC.exe streaming is freezing after a few minutes then it just stays frozen. Tried both codecs and auto.

I've been having a lot of trouble with the game on PC. It crashed 3 times in the first few hours of gameplay and many of the cutscenes will weirdly drop me to 5-8 fps then it just stays that way for a few minutes before it increases again after the cutscene. I'm playing in 1440p with DLSS on balanced on a 3080 .

10 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Some of my more progressive FB friend are openly spoiling this game. Apparently it's a trend. One is nonbinary and Jewish and they seem absolutely enraged by the game.

There are so many better targets for rage, honestly... but it is what it is.

Unrelated, I know I've said before that I wish choices mattered in the game, but now the main reason I wish that were true is that I wish I had a reason to play the game again. It's been that fun.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

There are so many better targets for rage, honestly... but it is what it is.

Unrelated, I know I've said before that I wish choices mattered in the game, but now the main reason I wish that were true is that I wish I had a reason to play the game again. It's been that fun.

Any NG+ options at all?

17 minutes ago, Rev said:

Something must be wrong with my setup. MSTC.exe streaming is freezing after a few minutes then it just stays frozen. Tried both codecs and auto.

Internet-Hosting-Tool
GITHUB.COM

Enable Moonlight streaming from your PC over the Internet with no configuration required - moonlight-stream/Internet-Hosting-Tool

Id try this, then try with hardware accelerated gpu scheduler turned off (tho this works for me now, I think they fixed it around the release of dlss3 since it’s needed) and then if still not working right check if maybe firewall/password keeper/vpn/antivirus could be blocking.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Internet-Hosting-Tool
GITHUB.COM

Enable Moonlight streaming from your PC over the Internet with no configuration required - moonlight-stream/Internet-Hosting-Tool

Id try this, then try with hardware accelerated gpu scheduler turned off (tho this works for me now, I think they fixed it around the release of dlss3 since it’s needed) and then if still not working right check if maybe firewall/password keeper/vpn/antivirus could be blocking.

Oh shit yeah that's a good call. I did just set up a new antivirus. Is that git link for Moonlight different from the one in the discover app on Steam Deck desktop?

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Oh shit yeah that's a good call. I did just set up a new antivirus. Is that git link for Moonlight different from the one in the discover app on Steam Deck desktop?

That program is something you run in addition to moonlight to try to make sure all the right ports are open etc 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

Any NG+ options at all?

Don't know, I'm not at the end yet. I kind of wouldn't really see the point as it's possible to do everything in the game in one playthrough. The only difference is which house you're in, so like... start another file so you can see the other common rooms, pretty much? You're almost never in your common room again after the beginning of the game. My guess is that you can still just keep playing for side missions and such. Plus one would assume there will be DLC later with how well the game has sold.

25 minutes ago, Rev said:

I wish they would have somehow made this more of a MMO or some other kind of co-op GaaS.

With how popular it is, i wouldnt be shocked if we get a healthy dose of updates.  Not sure about their backend systems though and if it'd allow more of a co-op looter shooter game.

Playing around in the open world doing some side stuff deck native so I can just put it in sleep mode when I get tired and it’s pretty impressive that this still pulls off the same trick of no loading between large detailed interior and exterior and town environments off of a micro sd card. Runs pretty well still even flying around at 30fps though I’m using fsr2 quality now. I still have no idea how this will work on switch lol

This game does such a good job of keeping all of the gameplay "reachable." Quests generally don't take too long, there's always something close enough that your brain keeps going "okay I'll do this one last thing before I stop," next thing you know it's 4 hours later because that's always "one more thing" that always seems achievable. I haven't been caught in an addictive gameplay loop in a large game like that since... I dunno, Stardew Valley?

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Still fairly early on and enjoying it so far. One thing I don’t get are those doors with symbols and question marks and they have paintings next to them you can roll. I assume there are ways to solve those.

There's an answer legend for those you can find in the castle. As far as I know, they're never part of a quest. 

I'm not going to lie, I cheated the answers to those. I decided I didn't want to consult the cheat sheet every time I found one, so I just googled the answers.

40 hours in and I still don't know if I've found all the doors.

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Some of my more progressive FB friend are openly spoiling this game. Apparently it's a trend. One is nonbinary and Jewish and they seem absolutely enraged by the game.

One of my FB friends did that too, but it was such an unsurprising thing that I just kinda laughed. (Basically the bad wizard did a bad thing, haha I just ruined your game) As if the main story was the only reason to play this game. And I get that some people are just completely opposed to anything HP, but this is one of the good ones!