Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

Just now, stepee said:

naaa just cuz I wear them for calls all week for work - I’m gonna get a real sound system whenever I move so just using the lg’s speakers now since they are honestly better than my old soundbar

That's cool. As long as you're getting to hear the beautiful music and dialogue clearly and loudly it's all good. 

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

naaa just cuz I wear them for calls all week for work - I’m gonna get a real sound system whenever I move so just using the lg’s speakers now since they are honestly better than my old soundbar

I just got a new Denon 9.2 channel Atmos receiver for my bedroom setup and am piecing together my speaker kit. Hopefully I’ll have it all in sometime in the next 3-4 weeks.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I just got a new Denon 9.2 channel Atmos receiver for my bedroom setup and am piecing together my speaker kit. Hopefully I’ll have it all in sometime in the next 3-4 weeks.

A ohh nice let me know how you like it and if you really notice the atmos/if it adds to gaming 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

How far are you guys? How many hours? Anyone get the broom yet or the ability to decorate your own study? 

I'm making good progress and it litteraly just gets better and better. I hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am!

I'm like 30 hours in, but I'm probably not as far as you'd think in the main story. I've "stopped to smell the roses" so to speak every step along the way. I don't even fly most places unless it's a route I've taken at least twice. You miss out on a lot.

I read the first HP book when I was like 10, and being able to just live in this world better than any of the movies/games have ever achieved is something that I'm not rushing through.

My character is level 28. I'm wrapping up "autumn." I've found almost every demiguise statue (there's still one in Hogsmeade I can't find for the life of me), I've found and solved all of the puzzle doors (I think? Just last night I went into a part of Hogwarts that I apparently hadn't been to yet), I got all of those flying keys. I'm almost done with Merlin Trials.

That's why I haven't been using fast travel/flying very much. You miss a lot if you do.

• Thanks 1

Im about 5hrs in. Its such a charming game. It looks amazing, tons of loot and exploration. Hogswart is absolutely massive. The music, esp when you clear a field page is awesome. Im definitely hooked. 

my only gripe…they give you so much to do right off the bat, its hard to stay focused on the main quest. and im really not wandering off. im just using revelio and uncovering field pages as I  move through hogwarts and hogmeade . it gives you tons of xp. I think maybe ive done 3 small sidequests.

The main quest mission is level 3 and Im already level 14. lol. 

Spoiler

I just got incedio

• Halal 1

I might be biased, because as basically a lifelong HP fan, this is what I've always wanted, but holy shit is this game good. I don't think I've had so much fun just poking around a game world since Skyrim. Like, I'll be distracted by just going "..huh, I wonder what's that way?' next thing you know it's 3 hours later, I've picked up and finished a few more side quests, and I've forgotten what I was supposed to be doing in the first place.

Also, if you're dead set on opening every chest - all of the puzzles are relatively easy if you just want to go straight through, but almost every puzzle has a hidden chest that requires a fair bit of thinking.

Fuck the mirror "puzzles", though. I've mostly been ignoring those so far.

• Halal 1

I'm not a Harry Potter fan at all, but I've been loving the game.  It's the perfect RPG lite with such a charming world to explore.  And they make exploration worthwhile, which so many games get wrong.  The little puzzles aren't complex enough to be annoying, but fun enough to make you think just a little.  They are perfectly spaced out that you are constantly finding somethign to do.  The pace of progression is nice too, with new gameplay mechanics and systems being introduced very few Main Story mission.  I'm maybe 10-12 hours in, Lvl 20ish, and done all the side stuff I see.

I haven't explored outside a ton yet, and just unlocked my Broom.  Game does just keep getting better and better as you unlock more mechanics.  Flying is a game changer too, being able to fly around Hogwarts is magical.

The only minor cmplaint is the targeting during combat.  Most fights it doesn't matter a whole lot, but some enemies need to be hit by certain spells, and if you can't get the damn targeting to the right enemy, you end up wasting spells which can be problematic in more complex fights.  So far though the only fight that gave me any issue was on a side quest and I may just have been under leveled for that.

Otherwise really enjoying just about everything else about the game.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Maybe they realized that Quiddich is a terrible sport designed to put all the pressure one team member. 

True. Shame on JK Rowling for not being experienced in game design.

I think having the game not end until someone catches the snitch is a fundamental design flaw that can't be worked around. Either the snitch is OP enough to make the rest of the game fairly irrelevant (as is the case), or the snitch means so little that the game would just go on forever. There's a reason all sports (except golf) have timers.

37 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think having the game not end until someone catches the snitch is a fundamental design flaw that can't be worked around.

Use the fact that the game takes place in the past a reason to give it more sensible rules! And if a more present-set game is ever made, make it out like Harry Potter's Quidditch years were trying new concepts or something but people went back to the "old ways!"

29 minutes ago, Biggie said:

The clothes in this game are really great 

They are!

I do have one complaint: The pitch-shifting used for characters sounds extremely bad. Characters who have very little or no pitch-shifting applied sound fine, but some of them sound like some shit out of a comedy sketch!

Anyway, here's a fun tidbit: I don't think DLSS frame generation likes to be running when your system can already hit the target frame rate. I think my game was limited by my refresh rate being at 120, so out of curiosity I bumped it up incrementally and eventually all the way to 175. Even without frame generation I stay way above 110 FPS, using the performance DLSS preset (as I switched to to test how much of an impact this has vs frame generation) and performance seemed even smoother than before. I think something may be off about the in-game cap or something. As it stands I'm gonna keep it like this for a while and see what happens!

More fun bits: Being new to this 40-series stuff, I was toying around with RTSS, turning frame generation and DLSS on and off, etc. Apparently frame generation is not a big fan of FPS caps, even if it's the same as the refresh rate and everything is running properly! Enabling an RTSS FPS cap of 144 (which is the middle-ground I'm now at as above this I can't use 10 bit color) with DLSS on any setting + frame generation results in perpetual camera stutter where the game reports a locked 144 FPS with perfect frame times, but you move the camera and it stutter-steps!

Turning off either DLSS or frame generation fixes this, but maybe only because it's under the cap at that point!

Of course, removing the cap entirely results in silky smooth goodness.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:13 AM, Fizzzzle said:

First off, I googled the tweet, that's not even based on a screencap of the game. An actual screencap of the menu looks like this:

?imw=512&imh=288&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

Steam Community: Hogwarts Legacy.

Or like this, if you're in a submenu

?imw=512&imh=288&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter
STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

Steam Community: Hogwarts Legacy.

Like, the "screenshot" they're referencing is not an actual part of the game, unless it's from some really old build. Maybe it still is, I don't know, but I haven't seen it.

For reference, the tweets seem to be using this "screenshot" as reference:

FoflbK_WcAISJIq?format=jpg&name=900x900

As you can see, if it was from the game at some point, it was clearly from some alpha build or something.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=

• Shocked 3

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

I might cave and buy this. I’m still leery it’s not really for me but I literally haven’t seen a single bad serious impression of this game yet. Maybe trying to start RDR2 again was a bad idea.

If you like fantasy, RPGs with great combat, great magical gaming world, great characters, and a good story you will love this.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

More fun bits: Being new to this 40-series stuff, I was toying around with RTSS, turning frame generation and DLSS on and off, etc. Apparently frame generation is not a big fan of FPS caps, even if it's the same as the refresh rate and everything is running properly! Enabling an RTSS FPS cap of 144 (which is the middle-ground I'm now at as above this I can't use 10 bit color) with DLSS on any setting + frame generation results in perpetual camera stutter where the game reports a locked 144 FPS with perfect frame times, but you move the camera and it stutter-steps!

Turning off either DLSS or frame generation fixes this, but maybe only because it's under the cap at that point!

Of course, removing the cap entirely results in silky smooth goodness.

With dlss3 FG you want to force vsync in nvidia control panel and turn off v sync/in game frame cap, to use frame cap you want to lock 3fps below your native hz

Edit: To be clear if you’re are forcing vsync in nvidia control panel that should be all you need to do - with reflex enabled which is needed for dlss3 it should then be auto locking it to below your hz (my tv is 120hz, so it maxes out to 116fps on mine by default)

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

I might cave and buy this. I’m still leery it’s not really for me but I literally haven’t seen a single bad serious impression of this game yet. Maybe trying to start RDR2 again was a bad idea.

It wasn’t for me either but it’s really fun. 

Only played a few minutes because it’s time for bed but so far so good. Haven’t done any combat or significant gameplay yet though. But I’m digging it so far. I was afraid it would be too dorky but hasn’t been yet. Also it’s agreed that British accents are just the best right?

10 hours ago, stepee said:

I mean, you might not attack someone for buying the game, but that post most certainly is attacking people for buying it and putting the blame on them and that’s mostly hog(warts)wash so that particular take doesn’t move me.

Again, attack JK and drag her all day long, but that post isn’t about JK. I still stand by that encouraging people who buy the game to donate to charities helping these communities instead would be a greater net good than shaming. 

Sure I think your idea of donating to a charity or other causes that help trans folks is a good idea to help counter any money that might go to Rowling, but me personally I'd feel pretty bad supporting this game after seeing so many trans people begging people not to buy this game. Morally I wouldn't want to feel like I'm betraying their trust when I do consider myself an ally; I can't just go, "yeah but I really want to play this game, and it's not like Rowling will be getting much royalties from this game". It sucks though because it is also going to hurt all the developers who worked hard on this game, including the ones who probably decided to put that trans character in the game probably as a fuck you to Rowling. It's a complicated, and frustrating situation, way moreso than it would be had this work been done solely by Rowling. 

I think the only time I'd get the game would be if it's ever free on PS+ so that way there isn't any money going to it, and therefore Rowling (unless that's not how free games on PS+ work, and Sony does give each free game redeemed some cut of the subscription profits). 

• True 1

I got tired of the terrible PC performance and ended up turning off ray tracing entirely and locking the frame rate to 75, and then I could put everything to ultra with DLSS.

Even though I can hit 120 in many cases, the game just randomly has massive frame drops for seemingly no reason, it’s even worse with ray tracing. I locked it to 75 because without ray tracing the drops never went below that, so that gives me pretty smooth performance.