~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

It definitely feels like the best strat at this point would be to wait for the GA results before passing anything.

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Which means the Democrats will agree to rushing something through before then. 

Isn't the end of the year kind of a deadline because of the eviction moratoriums running out?

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Isn't the end of the year kind of a deadline because of the eviction moratoriums running out?

Only if you care about those who will be evicted, which I'm fairly sure a majority of Republicans don't actually care about. At this point I'm not even sure the corporate centrist Dems care. 

7 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Only if you care about those who will be evicted, which I'm fairly sure a majority of Republicans don't actually care about. At this point I'm not even sure the corporate centrist Dems care. 

Is relief for the people about to get evicted actually included in the $750 mil portion that's expected to have the votes to pass?

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is relief for the people about to get evicted actually included in the $750 mil portion that's expected to have the votes to pass?

No, I believe it's not included, the "relief" would be the individuals using their stimulus checks to then pay off rents/mortgages, which is hilarious if the check is only another one time $1,200 or less.

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

No, I believe it's not included, the "relief" would be the individuals using their stimulus checks to then pay off rents/mortgages, which is hilarious if the check is only another one time $1,200 or less.

There are no stimulus checks in any of the bills being talked about.

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

There are no stimulus checks in any of the bills being talked about.

I'm just speaking broadly, I'm just using "stimulus checks" as a catch-all term - whatever money ends up trickling out of the government to people (whether it's actual stimulus checks or something else), in whatever way that looks like, I believe the government expects individuals to use that money, in part, to avoid eviction, is that phrases it better.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

I'm just speaking broadly - whatever money ends up trickling out of the government to people (whether it's actual stimulus checks or something else), in whatever way that looks like, I believe the government expects individuals to use that money, in part, to avoid eviction, is that phrases it better.

Ah, yeah, I see what you're saying.

All part of the problem that there is a fundamental gulf between what Congress is even attempting to do and many people's realities.

I think it was Colbert who did a joke that sums it up well about that $600 stimulus that was floated a couple weeks back. "Oh great, I can pay off the first two weeks of last April's rent with that!"

10 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Ah, yeah, I see what you're saying.

All part of the problem that there is a fundamental gulf between what Congress is even attempting to do and many people's realities.

I think it was Colbert who did a joke that sums it up well about that $600 stimulus that was floated a couple weeks back. "Oh great, I can pay off the first two weeks of last April's rent with that!"

Yeah I'm with you 100%. It's pretty sad - and also pretty horrible. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Have some faith!

If they gave me a reason in the past to have faith I absolutely would. :/ 
I agree with you that waiting for GA runoffs is their best strategy at this point (I said the same thing in this thread a month or two ago - but regarding the election and holding until Jan 20th should they take the Senate), I just don’t know if they actually will.

Many governments have this flawed view of "if we put in a lockdown for a month, all businesses will close because people won't be going out." The reality is...people are already not going out in great enough numbers for businesses to stay afloat, and instead of a month it's been almost a year. The places that have had the strongest restrictions have had the best bounce back (keeping some protections in place to prevent new outbreaks). The flaw from the start was assuming that as long as the economy was legally open, that everyone would be spending 100% of their money.

It's like, fuck, yeah I could go to the theatres right now, or go to a restaurant (with bullshit 2m distancing that doesn't work), but I'm not because I actually give a shit about my health and the health of my loved ones. Make it safe (by eliminating the virus) and I will do those things. 

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

delaying a deal until the last possible minute seems to be about the only good option for Dems to take the senate. Still get *something* as a hedge but don't give those two time to make hay over a deal helping their reelection chances

It could also backfire as the GOP will convince voters that Dems are the reason there’s no stimulus (as we discussed earlier, this is already becoming the case) and thus gain votes for their candidates shitheads. If Dems were able to simply, plainly and easily convey that the GOP is trying to do a garbage bill that helps no one but corporations, it could work in their favor... but... lol

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It could also backfire as the GOP will convince voters that Dems are the reason there’s no stimulus (as we discussed earlier, this is already becoming the case) and thus gain votes for their candidates shitheads. If Dems were able to simply, plainly and easily convey that the GOP is trying to do a garbage bill that helps no one but corporations, it could work in their favor... but... lol

It would take a lot of deft political actions to thread the needle and I don't see the geriatrics in leadership being able to pull it off

45 minutes ago, Jason said:
TUGCMYSAL4I6XNMLCYR7MJTZMA.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Trump was persuaded by advisers on Thursday not to tweet in favor of significantly bigger stimulus payments.

Always skeptical of these claims that Trump supposedly wants bigger amounts for people, but if true this would have basically been Trump's idea for an Insurrection Bonus :lol:

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

My parents got Covid. Fuck TX Gov Abbott

Sorry to hear about that. I'm still worried I'm going to get a text from my parents that they have it because of my nephews (2 of 3 of them have it, the 3rd and my sister tested negative). They are in So Cal. =/

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Sorry to hear about that. I'm still worried I'm going to get a text from my parents that they have it because of my nephews (2 of 3 of them have it, the 3rd and my sister tested negative). They are in So Cal. =/

My mom works in a school, they're forced to be open, all the teachers are getting it and now she has it.