What are you playing today?

30 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Ashtray Maze: one of Control's finest moments.

think I'm pretty far into the game but haven't explored that yet. When I tried going earlier on, it just sent me in a repetitive loop back into the opening hallway. 

I'm hoping I get to explore that massive chunk of Research behind it that I keep seeing markered-out on the map soon.

PS: Please no spoilers...

Links Awakening - without a walkthrough, I’d be solely on Eagle Tower for about 5 hours carrying a fucking ball and looking for some obscure walls to bomb. Thankfully we live in a world now where that isn’t a concern and after finishing 3/4 solo, I feel no shame in getting help.

Great game mind and I’m glad it’s been in my life.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Links Awakening - without a walkthrough, I’d be solely on Eagle Tower for about 5 hours carrying a fucking ball and looking for some obscure walls to bomb. Thankfully we live in a world now where that isn’t a concern and after finishing 3/4 solo, I feel no shame in getting help.

Great game mind and I’m glad it’s been in my life.

Yup. I had to cheat in that game, too. I'm not experienced in Zelda games in general so that didn't help at all. Great game, though.

I’m now up to the final part of Links Awakening and died, though I’ll blame watching rugby at the same time. Just need to stock up on some fairies and then I’ll smash through it later on tonight. Then Golf Story after that and then I’ll be all about Undertale and Hades.

Update: done, great game.

I bought my wife My Time at Portia (Switch) as she’s a fan of sim games, making your own character, crafting, building a town - and she’s sunk at least 100 hours into Stardew Valley and doesn’t like Animal Crossing - so this felt like a natural fit.

The trade off is I probably won’t get to play the Switch half as much so I’ve gone back to South Park; The Fractured But Whole - which I’m enjoying but, and I can’t believe this, it’s a little bit immature. The first game felt like parody - this just feels a

like it’s pushing some weird non-boundary. It’s fun though and just like playing a long episode.

looking forward though to picking up some big PS4 games from 2020 after pay day.

3 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I bought my wife My Time at Portia (Switch) as she’s a fan of sim games, making your own character, crafting, building a town - and she’s sunk at least 100 hours into Stardew Valley and doesn’t like Animal Crossing - so this felt like a natural fit.

The trade off is I probably won’t get to play the Switch half as much so I’ve gone back to South Park; The Fractured But Whole - which I’m enjoying but, and I can’t believe this, it’s a little bit immature. The first game felt like parody - this just feels a

like it’s pushing some weird non-boundary. It’s fun though and just like playing a long episode.

looking forward though to picking up some big PS4 games from 2020 after pay day.

I also LOVE Stardew Valley (like, probably my favorite game of the 2010's). My Time at Portia is fun, but nowhere near as good. Granted, the game wasn't finished yet when I played it, but it didn't really have the same sense of character and community that Stardew Valley did.

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I also LOVE Stardew Valley (like, probably my favorite game of the 2010's). My Time at Portia is fun, but nowhere near as good. Granted, the game wasn't finished yet when I played it, but it didn't really have the same sense of character and community that Stardew Valley did.

It probably still doesn’t, but she’s into the genre for the building/growing a town aspect - less so the story or character content. 

Just now, gamer.tv said:

It probably still doesn’t, but she’s into the genre for the building/growing a town aspect - less so the story or character content. 

She'll be fine with it then. At least when I played it, it wasn't as "objective focused." Like in Stardew Valley you've got the town center goals, birthday presents, stuff like that to give you something to focus on every day. My Time at Portia was much more like "do whatever." There are goals in the builder's guild or whatever it's called, but I never found that I had the same "alright, tomorrow I'm doing [x] for [y] drive like I did in Stardew Valley.

But again, the game wasn't anywhere near finished when I played it last, which was about 3 years ago.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Graphics don't make a game interesting or fun to play. Some of my favorite games ever made were 8 and 16 bit.

I never said that. I wanted to show stepee what rdr2 looks like with the latest card etc. I think he's capable of pulling off something like the vid I linked. 

I refuse to debate whether rdr2 is a good game or not. I understand you hate it but millions loved it. 

I'm a little over 30 hours into Baten Kaitos Origins.

I still stand by what I've said that the story is better than the first one, but holy fuck I don't see how anyone could possibly say this game is better than the first one. Dear. Fucking. Lord. It. Fucking. Drags. It's like you have to fucking double back at least 50 fucking times everywhere to do what you need to do. It's starting to drive me fucking insane.

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm a little over 30 hours into Baten Kaitos Origins.

I still stand by what I've said that the story is better than the first one, but holy fuck I don't see how anyone could possibly say this game is better than the first one. Dear. Fucking. Lord. It. Fucking. Drags. It's like you have to fucking double back at least 50 fucking times everywhere to do what you need to do. It's starting to drive me fucking insane.

It’s not really a regret - but Baten Kaitos was a game I regret not picking up way back in the day. I think there were only a handful of games on the GameCube that would later go on to be cult classic that’s I didn’t pick up (Baten Kaitos, Metal Gear Solid, Fire Emblem and the various Mario spin-offs to name the rest).

With the love of deck building games - it does feel right to have a remaster or a new entry.

4 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

It’s not really a regret - but Baten Kaitos was a game I regret not picking up way back in the day. I think there were only a handful of games on the GameCube that would later go on to be cult classic that’s I didn’t pick up (Baten Kaitos, Metal Gear Solid, Fire Emblem and the various Mario spin-offs to name the rest).

With the love of deck building games - it does feel right to have a remaster or a new entry.

The deck building in the first game is so fun. Customizing different builds for each character, maybe making some characters based on different elements, etc. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty and constantly micromanage your decks throughout the game, you could pretty much wipe the floor with most enemies, but obviously you don't want to spend 75% of your game time organizing decks. I think the game strikes a really good balance. You can still win if you don't strategize properly, you'll just need to get lucky. If you strategize too much, it might get too easy, but by that point I would think you're just in it for the deck building on its own.

Baten Kaitos Origins... eh. The battle system boils down to "count to 5 and pray to RNGesus."

I feel bad for sidelining Days Gone for Control but I've been way too wrapped up in that. And as a rare occurrence, I actually find myself really involved in the game's lore and my opinion on the documents and so on has turned more towards excitement now when I get to piece more of it together.

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

The deck building in the first game is so fun. Customizing different builds for each character, maybe making some characters based on different elements, etc. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty and constantly micromanage your decks throughout the game, you could pretty much wipe the floor with most enemies, but obviously you don't want to spend 75% of your game time organizing decks. I think the game strikes a really good balance. You can still win if you don't strategize properly, you'll just need to get lucky. If you strategize too much, it might get too easy, but by that point I would think you're just in it for the deck building on its own.

Baten Kaitos Origins... eh. The battle system boils down to "count to 5 and pray to RNGesus."

I got infinitely more frustrated in the first game hoping for the right RNG equipment for the defense phase.  It was terrible idea to make defense and offense rely on the same deck when one was nearly as important as the other.  And the whole defense phase idea bogs down the pacing of battles to a crawl, especially by the end.

BKO balances it much better IMO.  You can hold back on your attack phase to heal or defend.  It's a much more elegant solution that gives you more agency when you think about it.  BKO gets much harder than BK1 too, in spite of deck organization and card numbers being simplified.

37 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I got infinitely more frustrated in the first game hoping for the right RNG equipment for the defense phase.  It was terrible idea to make defense and offense rely on the same deck when one was nearly as important as the other.  And the whole defense phase idea bogs down the pacing of battles to a crawl, especially by the end.

BKO balances it much better IMO.  You can hold back on your attack phase to heal or defend.  It's a much more elegant solution that gives you more agency when you think about it.  BKO gets much harder than BK1 too, in spite of deck organization and card numbers being simplified.

There's more punishment for mismanagement or failure, too. I keep exactly one revival card in my deck, no more than that. When someone falls in a battle, their weapon cards and special attacks will pile up in your hand, so you end up having to waste a turn discarding them, which puts you at bigger risk, etc. If two characters go down, you're pretty much boned. In really hard battles, if one character goes down, you're pretty much boned and might as well start over. Also defense cards are pretty much worthless.

I do like the healing better, I will grant you. In BK1, if you had a character with healing items starting to pile up, you had to waste a turn healing even if you didn't need to, and then had to wait to cycle through your whole hand before those cards would become available again. It wasn't a problem very often, as the battles in that game are generally easier, but there were a few boss fights where I remember getting frontloaded with a bunch of healing cards before the characters had really taken any damage yet, so I had to use them before I needed them and didn't have them when I needed them. That was frustrating.

Playing more control, going back to things I missed before I do the DLC. 

Also reinstalled Valhalla to try out the river raids. Good, mindless fun.

Played a few rounds of Destruction Allstars.

Spent 6 hours doing homework and studying, since im officially a student again. I need 18 credit hours for my bachelors. 

On 2/15/2021 at 12:33 AM, gamer.tv said:

I’m a big fan of Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, and while My Time At Portia is a similar style of game it failed to engage me for very long. It’s charming and cute with some fun aspects, but gets repetitive fast. Too much time is spent mining and crafting, and not much else. There wasn’t enough incentive for me to continue its redundant grind/loop.

20 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I’m a big fan of Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, and while My Time At Portia is a similar style of game it failed to engage me for very long. It’s charming and cute with some fun aspects, but gets repetitive fast. Too much time is spent mining and crafting, and not much else. There wasn’t enough incentive for me to continue its redundant grind/loop.

She’s been playing it pretty much non-stop since I bought it, but I’m sure there will be a big drop off at some point.