What are you playing today?

4 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I’ve beaten Quelaag. No shame but I was going to use the summon Mildred...and noticed that there were some player summons available. Suffice to say, I took her on with three other characters which made me feel more like the weak kid that kicks someone on the ground after the bullies have done the hard work, but the boss is done! Now to get back to Firelink Shrine, level up some more, upgrade my Claymore and then I’m trying to decide between a return to Darkroot and the door, or Sen’s fortress.

The Quelaag theme is amazing.

I’ve been playing Cyberpunk 2077 since it came out, and I’m 60 hours into it now. I’m on the final act of the story, but I still have a lot of side stuff to do. As much as I’ve been enjoying it, I kind of want to wrap it up soon so that I can move onto something else.

Started FFIX.  Since FF is going back to a medieval setting I thought I'd play it in prep.  This is definitely closer to the lighthearted DQ/FF4/FF5 'fantasy' though, which I appreciate too.

I'm using the Moguri Mod, playing in 4k on my TV.  The AI upscaled art pops really nicely.  Enough to feel like I'm stepping back to the 360/PS3 era instead of the PS1.  That's huge, if you stop to think about it.  I get to experience this game for the first time with it looking like this... really glad I waited all these years.

The translation is really bothering me though.  Or the writing in general.  I can't tell which it is.  It doesn't hold up, at least not in the opening hour.  The game tries to be playful and silly, but can miss the mark very hard at times ('okay then, you're my slave now').  What was the first fight even about?  There's some objectifying quips about a princess getting kidnapped.  You chase her, knowing its her, then she says:  'Fine, I'll reveal my true identity to you.  I am the princess after all. (no shit)  Please kidnap me.  You don't know this, but I've been training for this moment to be captured.'  Like I said, somethings off.

Hopefully with time it gets better.  I'll stick with it, since there's still a ton of surface level charm here, and I trust the characters will get better with time (the knight guy seems okay).  But it's a really poor opening for a FF beyond the presentation.

8 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Hopefully with time it gets better.  I'll stick with it, since there's still a ton of surface level charm here, and I trust the characters will get better with time (the knight guy seems okay).  But it's a really poor opening for a FF beyond the presentation.

It's the best Playstation Final Fantasy game (aside from FFT) so it will get better.

"The Knight Guy" Somewhere @Paperclyp is screaming.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's the best Playstation Final Fantasy game (aside from FFT) so it will get better.

"The Knight Guy" Somewhere @Paperclyp is screaming.

:lol:

miss my Steiner icon 

I replayed IX when it came out on switch. The time speed up features make it so much more playable today. I don’t remember the translation being so bad, but I’m sure it is. 

It really does have some good characters though, and it makes me understand some people’s quibbles with like the materia system allowing any character to be any class. There is something to knowing Vivi will be your mage throughout and so on. 

One thing that struck me is that IX kind of lacks great side content other than the card game. The world felt small to me. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

:lol:

miss my Steiner icon 

I replayed IX when it came out on switch. The time speed up features make it so much more playable today. I don’t remember the translation being so bad, but I’m sure it is. 

It really does have some good characters though, and it makes me understand some people’s quibbles with like the materia system allowing any character to be any class. There is something to knowing Vivi will be your mage throughout and so on. 

One thing that struck me is that IX kind of lacks great side content other than the card game. The world felt small to me. 

Yeah, the bonus features make getting rare steals from bosses much easier.

To me it wasn't that the world was small but that it was empty. After you get off the starting continent you'd think there would be a ton of new places to explore but most of the world is empty. A lot of the exploring of the world is for Chocobo Hot and Cold rather than the main story.

26 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

Yeah, the bonus features make getting rare steals from bosses much easier.

To me it wasn't that the world was small but that it was empty. After you get off the starting continent you'd think there would be a ton of new places to explore but most of the world is empty. A lot of the exploring of the world is for Chocobo Hot and Cold rather than the main story.

I agree. And I guess because it's empty it feels small to me too. It's a series of vignettes rather than a world. 

But I still love the game. It just didn't hold up as well as I had remembered it. 

I got Doom (2016) because it was like $6 on PSN, and hot damn is it a lot of fun. I’ve only played through the first three levels but I love the interplay between the guns, glory kills, and chainsaw, and the overall design/pace of each area is phenomenal. The only thing that sucks so far is that I haven’t been able to find any secrets, but maybe that’s because I still need to unlock some suit abilities (like the double jump)? Still having a great time with it though.

41 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I got Doom (2016) because it was like $6 on PSN, and hot damn is it a lot of fun. I’ve only played through the first three levels but I love the interplay between the guns, glory kills, and chainsaw, and the overall design/pace of each area is phenomenal. The only thing that sucks so far is that I haven’t been able to find any secrets, but maybe that’s because I still need to unlock some suit abilities (like the double jump)? Still having a great time with it though.

Check your map for ? icons and look around the area where the icon is, though keep in mind that there could be something just outside one room that you get to from another room.

1 minute ago, dualhunter said:

Check your map for ? icons and look around the area where the icon is, though keep in mind that there could be something just outside one room that you get to from another room.

Good to know. I honestly haven't even been using the map, because the levels are designed so well you just have a feel for where to go.

47 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I loved Doom so much, bar a few harder parts - it was a joy. I need to buy Eternal soon.

I’ve played some more Dark Souls remastered (farming to get the Crest of Artorias) and some Rocket League.

Playing the board game Pandemic later tonight so probably no more games until tomorrow. 

Taking a break from Cyberpunk because I have some audio glitches that are pissing me off. Certain characters just don’t voice their dialogue anymore. So got a hair up my ass to replay FVII original recipe. Also started Control. Not that far in but uh doesn’t really grab me so far.

48 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I would be playing it if it was available for the PS4.

Looks like there has been some development issues in the past with the kickstarter, but given its success on steam hopefully it will hit the other platforms soon.

I’ve played a bit more Link’s Awakening  today, beating the Angler dungeon. It’s a really charming game - and the Zelda loop (the older style) is so satisfying to play. 

I'm aiming to see the game through in the next two weeks and then I think I’ll put all my attention into Hades. I struggle with having more than one game on the go at a time and with Dark Souls and Zelda, I’m at capacity.

Finished Hades for the first time yesterday with the Rail gun. Made the game a hell of a lot easier... gonn continue playing with the rest of the weapons as well. Also started Ass. Creed Odyssey back up, trying to get back into that. Also will continue Godfall and get that off my plater as well... it also gives me a reason to turn on my PS5.