Eli Roth to direct Borderlands movie

number305

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Hopefully it gets better writing than BL3. 

Apparently the screenplay is by Craign Mazin who wrote Chernobyl for HBO.  So maybe.  But the dialog from Chernobyl is a long way from what they will be going for in this.

I have little hope for a video game movie directed by Eli Roth.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
51 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It certainly looks better than Gran Turismo which @Greatoneshere raves about.

I'm not even sure what this means. :p I've never watched the trailers for Gran Turismo (so I can't say if this movie's trailers "look better" than Gran Tursimo's did), but the final product was surprisingly solid. I wouldn't say "raves about" though. A solid 7/10 film when I expected a 4/10, and director Neill Blomkamp did a good job. 

I did actually watch the trailer for this since I'm not all that invested in Borderlands (though I did play the third one online for others) and yeah, that looks like Borderlands. Honestly doesn't look terrible, which is a great start for something I thought was likely going to be trash. Set and costume design look well done and they certainly nailed the extremely immature, for teenage boys raunchy comedy and toilet/gross out humor the games are certainly known for. It's also strange to see legitimate actors Cate Blanchett and Jamie Lee Curtis slumming it in this alongside Jack Black and Kevin Hart who do films like Jumanji and Kung Fu Panda. I feel all the actor cred could at least elevate the film even if it is bad (in the same way perhaps that Djimon Honsou and David Harbour did in elevating Gran Turismo with their acting). Also, Eli Roth was finishing his horror film Thanksgiving so he didn't even do the customary reshoots for this film, Deadpool/Terminator: Dark Fate director Tim Miller did, which is something. 

COLLIDER.COM

The director stopped by Collider Dailies to chat about Eli Roth's upcoming 'Borderlands' adaptation and more.

• True 1