Eli Roth to direct Borderlands movie

number305

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, that doesn't look great.

What in the world is Cate Blanchett doing in this movie? She seems very out of place.

I don’t know what her schedule was like, but it’s really fun picturing her shooting this and Tár back to back. 

Looking at her credits, I didn’t realize she was in The House with a Clock in its Walls, so this is weirdly her second Eli Roth movie. 

I really think at this point Cate Blanchett is at the IDGAF stage of her career, where she reached astronomical heights of fame and notoriety decades ago and whose name is already etched in the pantheon of legendary actors known for timeless roles in film. What's left for her to do? Oh, I guess Shlock it up with the most outlandish projects she can find (that can actually afford her).

• True 1

As a pretty big fan of the series, I feel that they channeled the soul of those games into this flick and I am there for it through & through. I'll never understand the hate that Eli gets but whatever, over it. I'm happy & excited for this flick, and glad to see it come to life.

3 hours ago, Reputator said:

I really think at this point Cate Blanchett is at the IDGAF stage of her career, where she reached astronomical heights of fame and notoriety decades ago and whose name is already etched in the pantheon of legendary actors known for timeless roles in film. What's left for her to do? Oh, I guess Shlock it up with the most outlandish projects she can find (that can actually afford her).

Well, she did just do Tar, so it's not like she's stopped doing real movies, but I suppose she's diversifying. :p 

52 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

As a pretty big fan of the series, I feel that they channeled the soul of those games into this flick and I am there for it through & through. I'll never understand the hate that Eli gets but whatever, over it. I'm happy & excited for this flick, and glad to see it come to life.

Which Eli Roth movies did you think were genuinely good?

Cabin Fever, both of his Hostel films, Green Inferno, Thankgiving. I would like to say "Fin" as well, but considering both my knowledge of, and love for, sharks as a species, I cannot get myself to watch as I know it would be devastatingly heartbreaking to watch, but I do commend him using his position to push forth more knowledge about the transgressions made against the species.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Cabin Fever, both of his Hostel films, Green Inferno, Thankgiving. I would like to say "Fin" as well, but considering both my knowledge of, and love for, sharks as a species, I cannot get myself to watch as I know it would be devastatingly heartbreaking to watch, but I do commend him using his position to push forth more knowledge about the transgressions made against the species.

Yeah . . . I'm not sure what your floor is on films but there's a reason all those films (except Thanksgiving) are rated low by both critics and audiences across both IMDb and RottenTomatoes. There are a lot of reasons Eli Roth gets hate, just check out basically anyone's review of any of those films. :p I'm not counting Fin as it's a documentary and thus not really about his skills as a writer or director of films in the same way. Even films he hasn't directed but just co-wrote are terrible like Aftershock, The Man with the Iron Fists and the remake of his film Cabin Fever.

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

In a good way or a bad way? Other than Thanksgiving I don't think he's ever made a good film.

In that I think his movies are trash and have zero desire to even give them a chance based on principle at this point. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Which is why film is SUBJECTIVE.

Right, but what you said is you don't get the hate which is a bit more than just saying I like something, you don't. And while art/film is subjective to some degree, we can arrive at intersubjective truths using macro data like RT and IMDb. So it's not just purely subjective. I like a lot of movies the majority doesn't like but I usually get why they don't like something en masse even if I disagree or see some merit(s) to the film even if they don't.

Additionally, all opinions are not equal. As the great writer Douglas Adams (The Hitchiker's Guide) once said: “All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.” Saying something is "subjective" is just a cop out from entering an educated discourse which can help arrive at an intersubjective understanding of whatever it is that is being discussed. Currently, Eli Roth is fairly universally panned. If everything was purely subjective with no intersubjectivity, then there'd be no point to message boards or reddit or any discourse on anything that is considered an opinion and not a fact. But because all opinions aren't equal and there is a higher understanding to be had with any subject than simply one's simple visceral/emotional response to it, I'm gonna say no, it's not subjective, not completely.