~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

They have a significantly higher covid death rate than their Scandinavian neighbors (dunno about overall excess deaths compared to these countries) and fared no better economically (maybe even worse than other Scandinavian countries based on what I've posted here before) because, in part, their economy is so export driven, something lockdown or not they have little control over. It's more complicated than "they did ok" and "no they didn't" 

41 minutes ago, Brick said:

I'm now hearing from people that because Sweden has such low deaths, and their national deaths are within the average per year, and because they never went into full lockdown that proves we never should have gone into lockdown either. 

I'm so tired. 

While Sweden didn't officially lock down, many in the country have described a locked-down "feeling" that has eased in the summer months.

At the start of the outbreak, only high schools and universities closed; daycare and elementary schools have been open. Businesses have also remained open, but typically at reduced hours, and restaurants have functioned at reduced capacity.

Swedes have been asked to keep their distance in public, refrain from non-essential travel, and work from home when possible. Gatherings of more than 50 people are also banned. People age 70 and over are advised to stay away from others as much as possible.

Masks were never required and aren't commonly worn.

This response hasn't changed over time, through the June surge and into today's decline, so there's no definitive explanation for the flattening, though, and experts have several theories.

"Swedes in general have changed their behavior to a great extent during the pandemic and the practice of social distancing as well as physical distancing in public places and at work has been widespread," said Maria Furberg, MD, PhD, an infectious diseases expert at Umea University Hospital in northeastern Sweden.

"During the months of March to early June, all shops were practically empty, people stopped dining with friends, and families stopped seeing even their closest relatives," Furberg told MedPage Today.

"A lock-down could not have been more effective. Handwashing, excessive use of hand sanitizers, and staying home at the first sign of a cold became the new normal very quickly."

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87812

So yeah, there were important ways in which their approach was dumb, but their population still did a lot of what a lockdown would have achieved anyhow, instead of refusing to follow any basic precautions at all because mUh FrEeDuMb, whereas our FREEDUMB morons in the US think "the Sweden approach" was never stopping any normal activities at all.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They have a significantly higher covid death rate than their Scandinavian neighbors (dunno about overall excess deaths compared to these countries) and fared no better economically (maybe even worse than other Scandinavian countries based on what I've posted here before) because, in part, their economy is so export driven, something lockdown or not they have little control over. It's more complicated than "they did ok" and "no they didn't" 

I think the main conclusion we can reach is that literally anything would have been better than what we did and that includes Sweden's approach. But like I just said above Sweden's approach was not the "do literally nothing" scenario that the freedumb idiots who are hellbent on refusing to cooperate with even basic precautions want to insist it was (and their population did largely cooperate with, and maybe even went beyond, what was technically asked of them).

5 hours ago, Jason said:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87812

So yeah, there were important ways in which their approach was dumb, but their population still did a lot of what a lockdown would have achieved anyhow, instead of refusing to follow any basic precautions at all because mUh FrEeDuMb, whereas our FREEDUMB morons in the US think "the Sweden approach" was never stopping any normal activities at all.

When my wife and I were in Europe last year one of the things we noticed was unless your on the subway people give each other 5 foot or more personnel space when ever your in line or waiting an area for something. Our idea of social distancing is there norm. 

How to Queue - ScandiKitchen

Justin Liew on Twitter: "If I stood that far away from someone at a bus stop  in Vancouver, someone would jump the line, 100% guaranteed.… "

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If you have a stroke as a result of a covid infection, you die from complications from covid. Same as if you have hiv and you die of pneumonia, you died from complications due to hiv

This shit is common sense right? I don't understand the confusion.

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If you have a stroke as a result of a covid infection, you die from complications from covid. Same as if you have hiv and you die of pneumonia, you died from complications due to hiv

If you have diabetes and get eaten by a bear, you died from getting eaten by a bear, not from diabetes.

It's such an inane argument at this point because you can just look at the various studies that have looked at total excess mortality compared to an average year and see how much higher it is. It doesn't matter what gets written on the death certificate if people are ending up dead all the same. But I guess if you're willing to believe that the pandemic is fake you're also willing to believe that the excess mortality is actually due to secret antifa murders or something.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Oh I get that, but that Tweet is worded so weirdly. While it's most likely talking about complications due to COVID-19, the way it's worded (with no other context, or a link to an article with more information, or something) makes it sounds like if you died in a car crash, and tested positive for COVID-19, then you'd be listed as a COVID-19 death, which is of course going to just give more fuel to the conspiracy theorists that say the number of deaths are being boosted up so that they can get more money for funding, or some other nonsense. 

Also I had a fun thought yesterday. The MAGA crowd and idiots like those college students are absolutely going to refuse to forego Thanksgiving and Christmas travel and it's going to massively spike the COVID numbers. Even if you forego travel yourself you're still going to have to be in the grocery store with the idiots.

Society, or at least North American society, is selfish, impatient, and short sighted. That's why a full lockdown for even a relatively short amount of time wouldn't work, because people complain too much. Remember at the beginning when people were complaining because they couldn't get a haircut? Our leaders are incompetent, and can't even come up with a proper plan that would protect the economy, which so many of these assholes care more about than the lives of people. The economy can recover; dead people can't. 

We're doomed. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Also I had a fun thought yesterday. The MAGA crowd and idiots like those college students are absolutely going to refuse to forego Thanksgiving and Christmas travel and it's going to massively spike the COVID numbers. Even if you forego travel yourself you're still going to have to be in the grocery store with the idiots.

Shoprite home delivery, bitch

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Society, or at least North American society, is selfish, impatient, and short sighted. That's why a full lockdown for even a relatively short amount of time wouldn't work, because people complain too much. Remember at the beginning when people were complaining because they couldn't get a haircut? Our leaders are incompetent, and can't even come up with a proper plan that would protect the economy, which so many of these assholes care more about than the lives of people. The economy can recover; dead people can't. 

We're doomed. 

The one that will always stick with me is the guy at the Michigan state capital protest who was basically fighting back tears saying he couldn't get grass seed. You can absolutely get grass seed my dude, you just have to do curbside pickup. Also, maybe just let your lawn look like shit for a few weeks and count your blessings that you're safe and healthy.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Nah, Get ready for MAGA Trick or Treating. They're bringing their COVID straight to your door. :skull:

3 hours ago, Brick said:

We're doomed. 

The worst part is we had people like Kamala Harris, Ed Markey, and Bernie Sanders trying to make monthly checks a thing. 

How did we fuck up something so simple?

9 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

The worst part is we had people like Kamala Harris, Ed Markey, and Bernie Sanders trying to make monthly checks a thing. 

How did we fuck up something so simple?

Because they didn't put in a provision to make it for whites only.