~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is a failure of government. Those beaches should be closed, non-essential stores and restaurants should be closed. You can't stop people from being stupid, but you can stop stupid people from making things worse for the more vulnerable. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1163741

5 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I have to vent a little. I work in a hospital and we still have little to no direction of what is happening. People are recklessly using PPE. No clear policy in place of when you should and shouldn’t use it. STILL I have fucking nurses and therapists telling me they think it’s all overblown and quote flu statistics. 

They are completely oblivious to the incoming shit storm we are about to receive. It is infuriating and makes the situation fell all the more helpless. 

FUCK

Sorry you're going through that, I'm familiar with that feeling (minus nurses and therapists blowing it off and quoting flu statistics). We've always had a low threshold for covid ICU admissions, and we’re just about to find out final cohorting and surge plans. Still not sure if we have a staffing plan other than a voluntary labor pool.

I hope for your sanity and the patients’ sake things start to get better.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Remarkableriots said:

China had a bad outbreak in one city/region.  The US (and Europe) is seeing multiple outbreaks in multiple cities.  It's going to be hell to contain for this reason as well as the fact that our local, state, and federal government doesn't have the authoritarian will that China has.  

• Thanks 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/19/europe/italy-death-toll-intl/index.html

Italy has just surpassed China for the most number of deaths related to coronavirus, making it the world's deadliest center of the outbreak.

The number of deaths in Italy reached 3,405 on Thursday, the Italian Civil Protection Agency said at a news conference -- 156 more than China's toll, which, according to Johns Hopkins University, stands at 3,249.

The total number of cases in Italy rose to 41,035 with 5,322 new cases, officials added.

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

China had a bad outbreak in one city/region.  The US (and Europe) is seeing multiple outbreaks in multiple cities.  It's going to be hell to contain for this reason as well as the fact that our local, state, and federal government doesn't have the authoritarian will that China has.  

I completely agree with you! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2020-03-19/americans-panic-and-play-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic%3fcontext=amp

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo recounted Thursday a conversation he'd had recently with a business leader who was convinced the state was headed for a lockdown, roadblocks and mandatory quarantining. "I said, 'where did you hear that?'" and the person responded, "that's what they're saying," the New York Democrat told reporters in his daily briefing on dealing with the public health crisis.

"I said, 'I would know, because I would have to authorize those actions legally. It's not going to happen,' " Cuomo said. "It must have taken me 25 minutes to slow him down to hear the information.

"We're fighting a virus, and we're fighting fear. In many ways, the fear is more dangerous than the virus," Cuomo added.

It's that same panic that led people to clean out grocery store shelves and hoard toilet paper (which Amazon is selling – but with a delivery date of April 30 - May 21). It's led people to buy guns, fearful that they'll need to protect themselves against unpredictable and frantic fellow citizens.

7 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Feinstein gets the chop too.

As someone who hoped she would get replaced in 2018, I don't know if this one's a story.

She sold stock in a biotech company that wasn't doing well, and if I'm reading correctly, is growing in the stock market at this time.

That seems quite a bit different than Burr and Loeffler who sold shares in hotels and bought shares in work-from-home companies, respectively.

You know what stinks?

For the first time in a while, I would be able to visit my parents for Easter. Both my g/f and I got the Monday after Easter off, and since my mom was recently retired, she wouldn't have to go to work the next day, so we were all really excited about Easter dinner and visiting them.

But now, even if there's no lockdown or anything, I'd wonder if visiting them could risk exposure to something if I'm an asymptomatic carrier. Might have to not take off that day if that's the case and stay local. =\

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

You know what stinks?

For the first time in a while, I would be able to visit my parents for Easter. Both my g/f and I got the Monday after Easter off, and since my mom was recently retired, she wouldn't have to go to work the next day, so we were all really excited about Easter dinner and visiting them.

But now, even if there's no lockdown or anything, I'd wonder if visiting them could risk exposure to something if I'm an asymptomatic carrier. Might have to not take off that day if that's the case and stay local. =\

It's for the best. Try to set up a video call with her though!