~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/nevada/articles/2020-04-12/number-of-deaths-related-to-new-virus-rises-to-112-in-nevada

THE number of confirmed coronavirus infections across Nevada climbed to 2,836 on Sunday as related deaths increased to 112.

State health officials tallied the new infections Sunday on a website dedicated to the virus outbreak. Nearly 25,000 tests for COVID-19 have been performed statewide.

Leaders of a popular vacation spot on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe on Sunday urged second-home owners to stay away.

Incline Village leaders in a statement Sunday warned that health care resources for the mountain-lake community would be easily overwhelmed by a coronavirus outbreak. They highlighted a spate of COVID-19 infections in Truckee, California.

Among the new deaths from COVID-19 in Nevada was a man in his 90s from Washoe County that extends across Reno.

University Medical Center in Las Vegas has begun prescribing hydroxychloroquine to nonhospitalized coronavirus patients with fever and mild pneumonia.

“Certainly if you are working here or in New York, you want to be able to help the patients, and right now this is the best we have,” hospital emergency medical physician Thomas Zyniewicz told the Las Vegas Review-Journal in a videotaped interview.

President Donald Trump has been talking up hydroxychloroquine, a drug long used to treat malaria, rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, after very small preliminary studies suggested it might help prevent coronavirus from entering cells and possibly help patients clear the virus sooner.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/apr/13/nevada-gaming-businesses-we-deserve-federal-aid/

"In addition to gaming’s considerable needs to pay and provide for our own direct workforce, the gaming industry also supports 350,000 small-business jobs,” American Gaming Association CEO and president Bill Miller wrote in a letter to President Donald Trump. “Making Small Business Administration resources available to size-eligible gaming businesses is the right thing to do. As it stands, the policy discriminates against these mainstream businesses and, more importantly, the hundreds of thousands of employees who rely on gaming for their livelihood.”

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What's funny is a week ago, a buddy of mine were joking about a scenario like this and which States would form alliances in the event of the Union breaking up. We even joked about writing a script about it... So far the alliances are forming pretty much the way we thought they would. We thought Delaware would have joined with Maryland, DC and Virginia though.... you know the whole "DMV" thing.

It's still going bro.

The US being regions of states and breaking up was the setting of the depression era stuff in Crimson Skies.

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There is a good chance there was some backdoor wrangling on this one. Trump and McMahon have a loooong history together. Vince has been losing his mind about having to run taped shows. I would imagine this still doesn't greenlight live audiences, but the reason this is important is because Vince wanted to go back to at least running live empty house shows from their Performance Center in.....Florida.

I can't wait for the red states to pull their social distancing rules at the end of the month and then see a spike in dead people mid June.  

Even though I'm youngish and healthy I'm going to avoid busy place as much as possible for a long while, and I suspect most sane people will do the same. 

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

There is a good chance there was some backdoor wrangling on this one. Trump and McMahon have a loooong history together. Vince has been losing his mind about having to run taped shows. I would imagine this still doesn't greenlight live audiences, but the reason this is important is because Vince wanted to go back to at least running live empty house shows from their Performance Center in.....Florida.

Plus xfl declared bankruptcy today so hes trying to make money even when it endangers people

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Even though I'm youngish and healthy I'm going to avoid busy place as much as possible for a long while, and I suspect most sane people will do the same. 

There are lots of people in the cinema industry who think it will be next summer before crowds return to normal levels. I think that sounds about right.

10 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

Plus xfl declared bankruptcy today so hes trying to make money even when it endangers people

Funny thing is that the religious folks say that God created this pandemic to punish the gays or the atheists, but after what happened 20 years ago and now, I am pretty sure this plague is just God making it clear that the XFL will never be a thing, Vince!!!

Probably revenge for that match God had with Vince(yes, non-wrestling fans, that was a real thing).

13 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I can see those meetings in my head now. 

The way I see that playing out is Kushner letting out a high pitched, girlish scream and immediately blowing his brains out, and then Ivanka kills the rest of them with her bare hands. I mean, I am pretty sure by any objective measure Kudlow and Ross are already technically dead, anyway.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/national/chattanooga-mother-asks-for-a-miracle-for-4-year-old-son-in-icu-after-tornado-destroyed-their-home/285-b1a11d36-f0f1-44ab-970c-1d1c228653d4

A Chattanooga mother is asking for prayers and a miracle after a tornado destroyed her home and sent her young son to the ICU.

According to a reporter with WRCB in Chattanooga, the mother said her 4-year-old son, Grayson Meadows, suffered severe brain damage after an EF-3 tornado destroyed their East Brainerd home. 

At least two Tennesseans were killed and several people were hospitalized after powerful storms devastated the Tennessee Valley region.

One of the victims was 29-year-old Raffell Jenkins, according to WRCB. His mother said his four children and girlfriend made it out of their home alive, but Jenkins died after a tree fell on his home. 

https://www.khou.com/article/news/nation-world/storms-sweep-south-on-easter/507-ed92ef2a-03f8-4a62-b570-80428e4921b4

Storms killed at least 30 people in the Southeast, piling fresh misery atop a pandemic. The rough weather spread across the eastern United States on Monday, leaving more than 1 million homes and businesses without power amid floods and mudslides.

Officials said the dead included 11 who died in Mississippi, and six more died in Georgia. Other deaths were reported in Arkansas and the Carolinas.

What the fuck is gonna happen next? :(

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/12/us/mom-nurse-daughter-sheet-hug-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Millions of people around the world are wishing for something they took for granted before the coronavirus pandemic changed life as we know it. For Cheryl Norton, that something is a hug from her daughter.

Norton's daughter, Kelsey Kerr, is an ICU nurse at Christ Hospital in Ohio. Although Kerr hasn't had to interact with any coronavirus patients yet, she is still afraid of an uncertain future.

Like most mothers of health care workers whose children are on the frontlines of the dangerous battle against the pandemic, Norton felt like she had no way of helping her daughter. That was until a quick, spur of a moment decision led her to cover Kerr in a bed sheet and give her a big hug.

"For a single second, everybody else was gone and I was just hugging my daughter," Norton told CNN. "It was like she was safe for that one minute and I could take it all away from her."

200409105523-mom-daughter-hug-coronaviru

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/north-korea-fires-barrage-of-missiles-from-ground-and-air-2020-04-14

A barrage of North Korean missiles fired from both the ground and fighter jets splashed down on the waters off the country’s east coast on Tuesday, South Korea’s military said, a major show of force on the eve of a key state anniversary in the North and parliamentary elections in the rival South.

The back-to-back launches were the most high-profile among a series of weapons tests that North Korea has conducted recently amid stalled nuclear talks and outside worries about a possible coronavirus outbreak in the country.

North Korean troops based in the eastern coastal city of Munchon first launched several projectiles — presumed to be cruise missiles — on Tuesday morning, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.

The weapons flew more than 150 kilometers (93 miles) off the North’s east coast, a South Korean defense official said. If confirmed, it would be the North’s first cruise missile launch since June 2017, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, citing department rules.

Later Tuesday, North Korea launched several Sukhoi-class fighter jets that fired an unspecified number of air-to-surface missiles toward the North’s eastern waters, the defense official said.

The official said North Korea has recently appeared to be resuming its military drills that it had scaled back due to concerns about the cornovirus pandemic. He said other North Korean fighter jets also flew on patrol near the border with China on Tuesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/south-dakotas-governor-resisted-ordering-people-to-stay-home-now-it-has-one-of-the-nations-largest-coronavirus-hot-spots/2020/04/13/5cff90fe-7daf-11ea-a3ee-13e1ae0a3571_story.html

And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, “South Dakota is not New York City.”

But now South Dakota is home to one of the largest single coronavirus clusters anywhere in the United States, with more than 300 workers at a giant ­pork-processing plant falling ill. With the case numbers continuing to spike, the company was forced to announce the indefinite closure of the facility Sunday, threatening the U.S. food supply.

On Monday alone, 57 more workers were confirmed to have positive diagnoses, bringing the total well above 300 — and making it one of the country’s largest clusters. Other major clusters include Cook County Jail in Chicago and the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier.

OH FFS:

https://www.trentonian.com/news/trenton-council-got-letter-from-resident-about-cell-towers-coronavirus-then-crafted-5g-ban/article_35c19b54-7dc8-11ea-a568-37b06634970a.html

TRENTON — The coronavirus hasn't spared the capital city, and now a hoax linking the outbreak to 5G technology has infected some council members.

The Trentonian has learned that a faction of the governing body, prompted by a conspiracy peddled in a letter from a city resident, pushed to ban 5G in the city.

4 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/south-dakotas-governor-resisted-ordering-people-to-stay-home-now-it-has-one-of-the-nations-largest-coronavirus-hot-spots/2020/04/13/5cff90fe-7daf-11ea-a3ee-13e1ae0a3571_story.html

And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, “South Dakota is not New York City.”

But now South Dakota is home to one of the largest single coronavirus clusters anywhere in the United States, with more than 300 workers at a giant ­pork-processing plant falling ill. With the case numbers continuing to spike, the company was forced to announce the indefinite closure of the facility Sunday, threatening the U.S. food supply.

On Monday alone, 57 more workers were confirmed to have positive diagnoses, bringing the total well above 300 — and making it one of the country’s largest clusters. Other major clusters include Cook County Jail in Chicago and the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier.

Maybe they'll listen if the food supply gets screwed up.

Just saw this round of facts on Twitter's main page. Apologies if they've been posted:

India extends nationwide lockdown until May 3
France extends national lockdown to May 11
Spain eases some restrictions with 567 new announced deaths
Iran says coronavirus deaths drop below 100 for the first time in a month
China approves two vaccines for clinical trial
More than 580,000 cases confirmed in the US

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I think he means the summer of 2021 which I think is actually realistic.

For something like cinemas, I think Summer 2021 will still be below "normal".

We are currently looking at "Depression" level economic impacts, and lots of people are incurring lots of debt.  Given that going to the movies is a luxury, with lots of good alternatives (i.e. streaming), and requires close social contact (which even with a vaccine, there will be a group that continues to want to avoid, probably for irrational reasons), I don't think that we're going to see movie ticket sales fully recover by then.