Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents released, including XSX mid-generation refresh and new gyro/haptic-enabled controller
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028
23 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Oh wow, they sound sooooo committed to Cloud Hybrid Games they've been promising since the Xbone.

Hence the reason why they've effectively acceded to the CMA's substantial lessening of competition (SLC) concerns about about the impact of the ABK merger on cloud gaming without much of a fight.

PHIL HATH SPOKEN!

We've seen the conversation around old emails and documents. It is hard to see our team's work shared in this way because so much has changed and there's so much to be excited about right now, and in the future. We will share the real plans when we are ready.

The full internal memo he sent:

Team,

Today, several documents submitted in the court proceedings related to our proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard were unintentionally disclosed. I know this is disappointing, even if many of the documents are well over a year old and our plans have evolved.

I also know we all take the confidentiality of our plans and our partners’ information very seriously. This leak obviously is not us living up to that expectation. We will learn from what happened and be better going forward. We all put incredible amounts of passion and energy into our work, and this is never how we want that hard work to be shared with the community. That said, there’s so much more to be excited about, and when we’re ready, we’ll share the real plans with our players.

In closing, I appreciate all of the work that you pour into Team Xbox to surprise and delight our players. In the days and weeks ahead, let’s stay focused on what we can control: continuing the amazing success of Starfield, the upcoming launch of the incredible and accessible Forza Motorsport, and continuing to build games, services and devices that millions of players can enjoy.

Phil

Given Microsoft's commitment to the PC, I don't really have interest in their consoles, but a digital only console release sounds terrible.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The reportedly confirmed switch from AMD to ARM for Xbox 2028 is definitely the most interesting aspect of this "leak" to me.

I agree. I suspect that MS is just trying to keep their options open and to evaluate all technologies, but a switch to ARM would be huge. I'm really curious what would drive them to do it since they haven't really had the best success with their ARM products, and unlike many companies they haven't been building their own ARM chips. They might be early in developing some, but so far their ARM products have basically been rebranded Qualcomm chips.

It's not entirely unprecedented to marry "desktop" graphics architectures with ARM CPUs, as we've seen nVidia put their GPU tech in their Tegra chips (and the Switch) and AMD has licensed RDNA to Samsung, but these haven't exactly been celebrated technology success stories. I suppose the existence of those proves it might not be a herculean task to pair a Navi 5 GPU with an ARM CPU, but still seems like a consideration out of left field.

It's not super clear to me if "Direct-to-Cloud" on that controller means Wi-Fi or not. In the graphic it's listed on the Xbox consoles specify which version of Wi-Fi they have and the controller does not (even though it does specify the Bluetooth version. It probably does mean Wi-Fi, but maybe not. I definitely hope they steal the haptics from the PS5 controller.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@cusideabelincoln MS invested $0 in xCloud in FY 2022 and expected to only invest only in the "single digit millions" in FY 2023.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Holy cow. Explains why the couple of times I did try XCloud via Game Pass I was thoroughly disappointed.

I was also jabbing about how they promised the Xbone would offload computational tasks to the cloud. And it's possible they might actually do "Hybrid Cloud" by offloading AI and have ChatGPT derived NPCs.

WWW.IGN.COM

A court document from the big Xbox leak reveals that 75 percent of Xbox Series owners own the cheaper, less powerful Series S console.

If Xbox can only compete on sales at a lower cost, the ARM efficiency would make sense as a possible path for them.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:
WWW.IGN.COM

A court document from the big Xbox leak reveals that 75 percent of Xbox Series owners own the cheaper, less powerful Series S console.

If Xbox can only compete on sales at a lower cost, the ARM efficiency would make sense as a possible path for them.

So Xbox is going to be Nintendo without the cool exclusives?