Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I just hate Sony’s TV UI soooo much :sadsun:

Idk if it’s still the same as my older Sony in my bedroom, but yeah that isn’t great. Definitely won’t sway me to opt out of qd-oled or dolby vision though.

Yeah the Sony tv look nice but the UI just sucks and you have to enable HDR for the 2 HDMI ports that actually allow it. Which are slots 2/3 on my 55” 900f set and the “WiFi lost” keeps popping up on my tv and I’m watching an online show on their app with no other issues. In some ways I wish I had gone with one of he older OLEDs from LG a few years back but worried of burn in. Now my mom has a 55” C1 set and I’m a little jealous. 

16 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Yeah the Sony tv look nice but the UI just sucks and you have to enable HDR for the 2 HDMI ports that actually allow it. Which are slots 2/3 on my 55” 900f set and the “WiFi lost” keeps popping up on my tv and I’m watching an online show on their app with no other issues. In some ways I wish I had gone with one of he older OLEDs from LG a few years back but worried of burn in. Now my mom has a 55” C1 set and I’m a little jealous. 

FWIW you need to enable HDR on LG too. So weird, should just be enabled by default.

• True 1

The Xbox App on a TV feels like the natural endpoint for so much gaming, even if this version is bound to be questionable at times.

The only thing that surprises me about it is that it got built into a TV app before we got the Xbox "keystone" streaming stick. I'm very curious as to what about it needed to be revised. Sure seems like MS has the capability to put together a small streaming box that runs the Xbox versions of media apps alongside Xbox game streaming, but maybe they couldn't figure out the pricing.

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The Xbox App on a TV feels like the natural endpoint for so much gaming, even if this version is bound to be questionable at times.

The only thing that surprises me about it is that it got built into a TV app before we got the Xbox "keystone" streaming stick. I'm very curious as to what about it needed to be revised. Sure seems like MS has the capability to put together a small streaming box that runs the Xbox versions of media apps alongside Xbox game streaming, but maybe they couldn't figure out the pricing.

Unless Samsung did some type of exclusivity deal, I'd be surprised not to see this added to LG, Vizio, and others soon, just like GeForce Now.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Unless Samsung did some type of exclusivity deal, I'd be surprised not to see this added to LG, Vizio, and others soon, just like GeForce Now.

MS has done a lot of Samsung exclusive deals in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a year or more before we see it on most other TVs. I'd also guess (or at least I'd hope) that MS is putting some effort into validating the experience and that we don't just get a bunch of mediocre TVs that struggle to play well.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

MS has done a lot of Samsung exclusive deals in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a year or more before we see it on most other TVs. I'd also guess (or at least I'd hope) that MS is putting some effort into validating the experience and that we don't just get a bunch of mediocre TVs that struggle to play well.

I'd imagine that the quality of the app and having proper connection speeds will be the most important thing.

• 1 month later...

PS+ gets stray but Xbox gets Calico bitch!

GwG-Aug-2022_16x9_4UP_Points_01-fe2b20c4
NEWS.XBOX.COM

It’s time to announce the August Games with Gold lineup! On the Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, run a cat café in Calico, and slash your way through a roguelite platformer in ScourgeBringer. And for our classic lineup via Backward Compatibility, earn respect and take back your territory in Saint’s Row 2, and pull […]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Party-chat-noise-suppression-8dba2e19bb5
NEWS.XBOX.COM

Team Xbox is excited to continue bringing new ways to make Xbox better, with you at the center, as we refine the experience and deliver brand new features based on your feedback. This month’s update introduces a couple more ways for you to connect and play with your friends and communities including party chat noise suppression […]

• Halal 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a tech guy, but it seems weird to me that this console could be holding development back given how many different PC configurations devs have to account for, some that are less powerful than the Series S. Also how does Sony manage to not be held back by the PS4 when they are still developing their first party games for THAT system and it's DEFINITELY less powerful than the S? Again I don't know... not a programmer. Don't really care to be honest but I posted that because I knew a lot of folks here would.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm not a tech guy, but it seems weird to me that this console could be holding development back given how many different PC configurations devs have to account for, some that are less powerful than the Series S. 

On PC, games are made for the lowest dominator and then bells and whistles are added onto that. The minimum spec holds back the highest spec in terms of fidelity/features/what-have-you. This is likely similar to what's occurring with XSS vs XSX. Also, with consoles, devs can "hone in" on the specs more as they're not typically programming for a variety of equipment and can squeeze more out of it; this is one of the reasons why a PC that is spec'd, on paper, the same as a console, won't perform the same in the same game.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also how does Sony manage to not be held back by the PS4 when they are still developing their first party games for THAT system and it's DEFINITELY less powerful than the S?

No one said that they weren't being held back - I'd wager that they are.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also how does Sony manage to not be held back by the PS4 when they are still developing their first party games for THAT system and it's DEFINITELY less powerful than the S? Again I don't know... not a programmer. Don't really care to be honest but I posted that because I knew a lot of folks here would.

PS4 is only here for cross-gen, which is coming to a close.  Series S is supposed to hold on for however long this gen goes (~7+ years).  Apples to oranges.

We are seeing some developers like Capcom announcing last-gen PS4 ports later in development because of the extra effort it takes to optimize to a lower spec.  Or even nixing XB1/X1X ports altogether.  Since Series S exists in a no man's land of sorts between generations, the question remains if/when port quality will diminish as we start seeing more native current gen projects.

I'd imagine that games that use RT will fare better, since that can be flipped off for performance gains.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm not a tech guy, but it seems weird to me that this console could be holding development back given how many different PC configurations devs have to account for, some that are less powerful than the Series S.

58 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

On PC, games are made for the lowest dominator and then bells and whistles are added onto that. The minimum spec holds back the highest spec in terms of fidelity/features/what-have-you. This is likely similar to what's occurring with XSS vs XSX. Also, with consoles, devs can "hone in" on the specs more as they're not typically programming for a variety of equipment and can squeeze more out of it; this is one of the reasons why a PC that is spec'd, on paper, the same as a console, won't perform the same in the same game.

Minimum spec is whatever the developer deems it to be on PC.  A lot of games can also scale below the printed 'requirements.'  I sincerely doubt that AAA developers envision the general look of their game based on the PC minimum.  It seems like we've already seen a shift towards PS5/XSX as the target, and then scaling both up and down from there.

With Series S, I doubt most developers will earnestly target it as the low.  It'll inevitably get the short end of the optimization stick in the same way the XB1 did, just much sooner into this gen.  Some developers are frustrated about that, and they're probably the ones taking the wrong approach.  Just let the games look like they're running on budget PC.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Minimum spec is whatever the developer deems it to be on PC.  A lot of games can scale below the printed 'requirements.'  I also sincerely doubt that AAA developers envision the general look of their game based on the PC minimum.  It seems like we've already seen a shift towards PS5/XSX as the target, and then a scaling both up and down from there.

Re-read my post. I think you may have greatly misunderstood it.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Re-read my post. I think you may have greatly misunderstood it.

On PC, games are made for the lowest dominator and then bells and whistles are added onto that. The minimum spec holds back the highest spec in terms of fidelity/features/what-have-you.

Hard to misunderstand that.  If we're talking Riot Games, then sure, I'm with you.