Stranger Things Season 3 Discussion Thread (marked spoilers until July 10th)

I thought season 2 on the whole was a big improvement over season 1, and I hope they ignore the complaints and keep pushing the story forward.

36 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I thought season 2 on the whole was a big improvement over season 1, and I hope they ignore the complaints and keep pushing the story forward.

I had a lot of friends that really didn't enjoy season 2 so I was really hesitant to watch it. Ended up watching it in May and really enjoyed it.

My only complaint is that Eleven's side story just felt so out of touch, out of place, it just didn't click with me at all.

15 minutes ago, Nokt said:

My only complaint is that Eleven's side story just felt so out of touch, out of place, it just didn't click with me at all.

Her side story was fine, the problem was bringing the overall season arc to a complete screeching halt right as things were picking up to do what borderline felt like a backdoor pilot for a spinoff. It would have been better handled as flashbacks littered throughout the other episodes, I think.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jason said:

Her side story was fine, the problem was bringing the overall season arc to a complete screeching halt right as things were picking up to do what borderline felt like a backdoor pilot for a spinoff. It would have been better handled as flashbacks littered throughout the other episodes, I think.

Very much this. The story absolutely makes sense because of course there are others who developed similarly to Eleven in a similar situation. But in addition to bringing the pace to a halt, my complaint is that I feel like the entire episode had a completely different tone in everything from the camerawork, lighting, color palette, etc and it just feels so out of place. Like a different show completely. I get that it's in a different location with different people so they gave it its own personality, but it still felt off.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Besides the above were there any other complaints in general? I didn't pay much attention to the conversation surrounding last season.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Like a different show completely.

I actually initially wrote "a backdoor pilot for a completely different show" instead of "...for a spinoff". :p And yeah, it really was that completely disjointed from the rest of the season.

If they were absolutely dead-set on the basic idea of that episode I think it would have been better to do something like release it a month or two ahead of (or hell, even after) the rest of the season as a sort of "BSG: Razor" and then just write the actual season in a way that makes it clear that the standalone Eleven episode takes place in between the episodes 6 and 8 that we actually got last year. It would actually have maybe been more interesting to do it after since the feeling of wanting to find out where the fuck Eleven had been might have helped to get people to ignore how different it was...but either way, making it so completely different would have worked better if it'd been more explicitly positioned as quasia-standalone.

.i enjoyed season 2 a lot but my biggest complaint was splitting up the kids too much. The best part of season 1 was their chemistry and how real it made their friendship feel. I missed a lot of that in season 2. But that tends to be the way with shows/movies I guess. Charm is often sacrificed as the need for a greater threat/more serious tone comes up with any sequels. 

47 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

.i enjoyed season 2 a lot but my biggest complaint was splitting up the kids too much. The best part of season 1 was their chemistry and how real it made their friendship feel. I missed a lot of that in season 2. But that tends to be the way with shows/movies I guess. Charm is often sacrificed as the need for a greater threat/more serious tone comes up with any sequels. 

This was my biggest issue with season 2 as well, though I did enjoy the season overall (it's been so long I don't remember a good bit of season 2 lol). 

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I thought the same thing... I don't know what the haters were expecting to be honest. Great season that moved the story and characters forward.

I really didn't like season 2 much.

Season One felt like a cool small story that took place in the 80s. Season 2 felt like a bloated, unbelievable story that took place in an 80s movie. It felt like an unnecessary movie sequel. I think they tried to hard to repeat all of the iconic story beats from season one and in the process screwed up what was so special and different about it.

I'll still watch season 3, but I'm no longer super excited about it.

This teaser looks like it's hitting the nostalgia drum a little too hard. We get it, the show takes place in the 80s. Okay already. You're trying too hard.

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Rev said:

I thought the first season was an absolute masterpiece. And I thought the second season was .. pretty good. I'm still all in for this one.

My biggest problem with the second season is that the Seven episode shouldn't have been in the middle of the season. It would have made a lot more sense, I think, to do something like releasing it a few weeks ahead of the rest of the season. 

On 7/18/2018 at 10:45 AM, ort said:

I really didn't like season 2 much.

Season One felt like a cool small story that took place in the 80s. Season 2 felt like a bloated, unbelievable story that took place in an 80s movie. It felt like an unnecessary movie sequel. I think they tried to hard to repeat all of the iconic story beats from season one and in the process screwed up what was so special and different about it.

I'll still watch season 3, but I'm no longer super excited about it.

This teaser looks like it's hitting the nostalgia drum a little too hard. We get it, the show takes place in the 80s. Okay already. You're trying too hard.

My thoughts exactly. I'll definitely watch Season 3.  For me though Season 2 just didn't have that special feel to it. Felt like more of the same. 

12 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

My thoughts exactly. I'll definitely watch Season 3.  For me though Season 2 just didn't have that special feel to it. Felt like more of the same. 

This. Parts of season 2 were pretty good, but overall if you asked me now what happened in the season there are only a few things I could tell you about what happened. I have a general sense, but not like I would for great seasons of other shows. 

I can tell you what happened... everything from the first season, only bigger louder and cornier.

How they didn't make season 2 all about russian spies is beyond me.

I don't understand how they can go back to a normal life in that town. Surely you would evacuate and/or move?

They made it too big too fast. It was like they made a list of all of the things people liked in season one, repeated them all, turned the volume up to 11 and crammed them all together into a big sloppy mess of a season.

1 minute ago, ort said:

I can tell you what happened... everything from the first season, only bigger louder and cornier.

The first season is pretty damned big, loud, and corny.

Other than the Eleven interlude, which I really enjoyed aside from its placement, I thought Season 2 was rad.

• 3 months later...

I think Season 2's strength was it's new characters, while the main cast more or less languished. I'd suspect the Duffer brothers didn't necessarily anticipate how much the show would blow up, and didn't have any arcs planned out to the extent they needed to be. I'd imagine Season 3 will fix that, while at the same time having great new additions to the cast.

• 2 months later...

The two new flavors the Canton, Massachusetts-based chain is unveiling are Eleven’s Heaven, waffle cone-flavored ice cream with chocolate-coated sugar cone pieces and a chocolate-icing-flavored ribbon, and Upside Down Pralines, chocolate ice cream with praline pecans and a chocolate-caramel flavored ribbon.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/05/30/stranger-things-ice-cream-coming-baskin-robbins/1287027001/

• 3 weeks later...

I tried connecting to Japanese Netflix to see if I could get it that way but it looks like they're synchronizing the release times. I've been up since 4 AM, I don't want to wait until midnight Pacific to watch, I was hoping it'd drop midnight Eastern. :(

Watched episode 1 and 2 tonight. Loving it. Little more of a slow burn this season which I like. And at least so far they’ve gotten back to the kids interacting more with each other. Their chemistry together is so great I missed it when the split them up last season. 

I found it more enjoyable than the second season with the more tangable enemies and without the slowdown the El self discovery created in season 2.  I hope they get back to Mathew Modean and kids 1-10 in the next season, and of course the Russians.

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:
  Hide contents

Is "the American" mentioned in the stinger supposed to give us hope that Hopper is alive? Or is it somebody else I'm not thinking of?

Spoiler

well they never actually showed him get disintegrated so this would be the first thought